Did you mean: 

dimensions lost association after freezing or turning off layers

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
fibocad
1240 Views, 9 Replies

dimensions lost association after freezing or turning off layers

Hello,

I've made some views of a 3D object (but it can be anything else) in paperspace using the VIEWBASE command and gave some dimensions (in paperspace) associated to the object (DIMASSOC set to 2), and everything is fine, as expected, stretching the object changed the dimension. GREAT.

What happend next is unbelievable, I freezed (turning off does the same) the layer which include the object and found that all associations are lost!!! Do I have to reapet reassociating them??? (I'm talking about hundreds of dimensions and leaders).

Please help the sooner the better.

Thanks.

FiboCAD

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: fibocad

Would you please add your drawing so I could have a look at it. It will help me give you a answer quicker.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 10
dmfrazier

Does locking the viewport make a difference?

Message 4 of 10
fibocad
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks for all helpers,

locking the layer doesn't make any difference.

i've attached an example. try freezing or turning off the 'AMUD' layer which contains the 3d solid in model space and all associations are lost even after thawing or turning on.

Any suggestions?

FiboCAD.

Message 5 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

Ok reason why this is happening, You are using the "BASE" command to place the model down. It does not use a viewport at all. It is the same as working in Inventor. The only downside of using the Base command is that when you turn off or freeze the layer the dimensions wont know what to do anymore and you will loose accociativity. You can either double click on the yellow explimation mark and reassociate the dimension by reselectingt he two points the dimension should be on. When you Freeze or Turn off that model you will also have a orange box thet you cannot remove. In your situation I will create viewports. Please have a look at the attachment at the drawing on the right hand side using viewports 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 10
fibocad
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thank you JoAnn.

Actually this was my drawing method until last week when I found the VIEWBASE command which makes my work much easier. Dimensions shouldn't lose their associativness because of freezing or turning off layers, I'm not changing the layer or the solid, it just not visible.

I think this issue must be solved by Autodesk.

Thanks anyway.

Message 7 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

Is there a particular reason why you want to Freeze that view?

When you are freezing a layer it does not take that layer into consideration anymore. It is as if it doesn't exist. Viewbase comes from Inventor, and in Inventor you do not freeze layers. I know it is an awesome tool but it is not ment to be frozen.

When you want to freeze layers using viewports is your best option but when using viewbase you cannot Freeze the layer. Especially if you project, detail and section from that view. It is part of the drawing basics. That is why you have more than one option. So it does not make sense to Freeze a viewbase view because everything is associative to that view.

I would suggest that if you really need this that you make a suggestion in the IdeaStation:

http://www.augi.com/ (closest equivalent for the IdeaStation)

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 10
fibocad

During building a 3d model you usualy turn on 'n off layers in order to orientate better through a lot of objects from different layers.

in order to avoid disassociate you must make sure that all layers are on before pressing the paperspace tabs (layout tabs), kind of risky and anoying thing.

I'm not freezing or turning off the layers where viewbase elements are put in, just layers which they are generated from.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 10
JoAnn_Hogan

In that case your best option would be using a viewport. Also have a look at named viewports in your layout tab. They are quite a nice tool to use as well

Jo - Ann
Message 10 of 10
f_e_ouellette

I may have found a solution.  It's not perfect, but it works.

If you have to go back to model space and freeze some layers in order to make it easier to work, just remember to UNFREEZE or unisolate all the layers before switching back to paperspace (layout tab).

The problems seems to happen when you switch back to paperspace, and the objects are no longer there, so the dimensions get "broken" or unassociated.

So as long as you can remember turn everything back on before going back to paper space... no problem.

But it would still be nice to see a solution from Autodesk.  The viewbase command is WAY faster for setting up projections that the viewport method.

But you should be able to use viewbase, freeze layers, and not have all the dimensions break.  Still a good item for the wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost