AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 11 of 42 (1,058 Views)

Re: confused about setting scale to paper size so will print out acurate to scal

09-18-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy wrote:

Layout tab is the step to paper space.

Make a layer (e.g. VIEWPORTS so you can turn it off so it will not plot later)

Command MVIEW, make a view port.

When it's activated, either zoom xp or go to bottom of the screen and look for VP Scale, that is where you set scale.

Arrange your models and dimensioning them.

Get out of the viewport by using double clicks outside the viewport or use command Pspace.

Turn off the VIEWPORTS layer.

Draw your sheet size and Title block.

Plot your drawing.

... and lock the viewport. :smileyhappy:

Regard,

DJ

Active Contributor
bfrie1
Message 12 of 42 (1,055 Views)

Re: confused about setting scale to paper size so will print out acurate to scal

09-18-2012 01:10 PM in reply to: drjohn
Thank you DJ When I make a viewport in layout tab it duplicates the drawing so one drawing(the same drawing) is a little offset from the other. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Bruce
Distinguished Contributor
Kazo
Message 13 of 42 (1,047 Views)

09-18-2012 01:52 PM in reply to: bfrie1

Your skills are rusty?  It seems you know nothing of AutoCAD at all.

So is layout the same as paper space which allows me to view what my drawing would look like on whatever size paper I chose?

Yes!

1.In layout won't let me use move to position desk? 2.do I dimension in layout or model space? 3.Not sure how in layout to determine scale? 4.do I determine scale in layout and when I go to plot?

1. You draw in model space or through viewport into model space.  When in paper space you cant edit model space entities.
2.  Either...but mostly in paper space using the dimension styles for different viewport scales.
3.  I think Patchy has explained that already now.

Thank you DJ When I make a viewport in layout tab it duplicates the drawing so one drawing(the same drawing) is a little offset from the other. What am I doing wrong?

I think if i understand what youve written here ... you have created another layout??  You create your viewport within the confines of your drawing boundaries.  When you have created the viewport you should see your drawing in model space....and then zoom to scale...and lock viewport.
Read instructions in HELP. (F1)
Valued Contributor
its_cconner
Message 14 of 42 (1,042 Views)

09-18-2012 02:08 PM in reply to: bfrie1

Whenever you create a new viewport it will always start at the same basic view and it's up to you to rotate, zoom/pan and scale to your needs. Now if you copied the viewport it will keep the same scale and view you copied from and again you must rotate, pan/zoom and scale to your needs.

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 15 of 42 (1,039 Views)

09-18-2012 02:24 PM in reply to: bfrie1

bfrie1 wrote:
Thank you DJ When I make a viewport in layout tab it duplicates the drawing so one drawing(the same drawing) is a little offset from the other. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Bruce

Check this quickie setup out. 

See the attachment

Ya just gotta take a class, bud.

Regards,

DJ

Kazo
Message 16 of 42 (1,029 Views)

09-18-2012 02:55 PM in reply to: its_cconner

Oh right CConner..now I understand the question...

well done ..well answered !!:smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 17 of 42 (1,021 Views)

09-18-2012 03:24 PM in reply to: drjohn

Or, once you are at the office have another AutoCAD user walk you through it.  Some things are much better shown in person.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
bfrie1
Message 18 of 42 (1,022 Views)

09-18-2012 03:37 PM in reply to: dgorsman
Thank you, I agree I need to see this done in person but I don't know how I can find a user in my area? Any suggestions how to find someone in my area? Thanks, Bruce
Kazo
Message 19 of 42 (1,017 Views)

09-18-2012 03:48 PM in reply to: bfrie1

As previously suggested a class is what you need...you can get a series of half day classes...you may only need 3 or 4 that would take you though the fundamentals....wow...good luck with the new job...i wouldnt want to start a position with your limited amount of knowledge/skills.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 20 of 42 (1,010 Views)

09-18-2012 04:33 PM in reply to: bfrie1

bfrie1 wrote:
I know a class would help a great deal but that isn't an option for me right now. I hope start a job using ACAD in a few weeks, my skills are rusty so I'm practicing on the 30 day demo release 2013. Through you help so far, I understand drawing in model space and using layout to prepare to plot. Would you please walk me through this? Thank you, Bruce

Unless I missed something - I still don't see where you have attached the file of what you have completed so far.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube