Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not scale 3d solids by 0.001 - AUTOCAD 2015

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bfemerge
1079 Views, 7 Replies

can not scale 3d solids by 0.001 - AUTOCAD 2015

Hi ive never encountered anything like this in Autocad before, but have just upgraded to full version autocad 2015 and now am unable to scale 3d solids by 0.001 (ie mm to m)

0.1 works fine but 0.001 tends to result in either an 'extremely small scale factor' message or no message and object does not scale. is say 0.001 but problem occurs for any scale factor with more than 2 decimal points

interestingly 2d objects scale fine by a factor of 0.001

i cam across this via this issue i am having (posted elsewhere) - which i assume is related.. if a variable can anyone please advise what i need to change but seems more bug like to me?

"i have just upgraded to cad 2015, and am encountering something i have not before experienced so figure there must be a variable somewhere i am unaware of.

if i start with a block that contains both 2d objects and 3d solids that was for example made in a MM drawing.

if i then insert it into a M drawing so that it is scaled down by 1000, if i explode that block any 3d solids will re-scale up by 1000, yet any 2d objects remain scaled down by 1000 (so are correct).

in previous versions i have never run into this issue - solids in blocks that are exploded stay at the same scale as they were (stay scaled down by 1000)

help appreciated."

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: bfemerge

@bfemerge wrote:

.... there must be a variable somewhere i am unaware of.

type -dwgunits (with the  - ) in source and destination files.  What units are they set to?

What happens if you follow the -dwgunits command line instructions to change units rather than scaling?

How far is your model from 0,0,0?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
nestly2

I can confirm that AutoCAD2015 cannot SCALE a simple 3D primitive by 0.001x without creating errors with the solid.

The following example of scaling a simple 10x10x10 "BOX" will either throw an "Extremely small scale factor" error, and/or will not scale the object, but will cause it's display to be come disassociated with it's geometry.

Command: BOX
Specify first corner or [Center]:
Specify other corner or [Cube/Length]: @10,10,10
Command: SCALE
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
Specify base point:
Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]: .001
Command:

I'm about to log a support request.

Message 4 of 8
bfemerge
in reply to: nestly2

NESTLY: thankyou for looking into it, on this and the other forums i posted about it. safe to say it is a bug.

JDMATHER: tried your method. and a 3d cube at 0,0 will scale up from M > MM when changed via -dwgunits but will not scale down from MM > M ( as is factor of 0.001)

Message 5 of 8
nestly2

Just for the benefit of others, the development team has confirmed an issue when SCALEing 3D solids by a scale factor less than .01 and are looking for a fix to be included in future release or update.

Message 6 of 8
Gilles
in reply to: nestly2

thanks a lot for the info

Chears

Message 7 of 8
nestly2
in reply to: Gilles

As far as I know... this issue was resolved with Service Pack1

Message 8 of 8
dmeldrum

Hello,

I had a similar issue as you. I'd created a structure composed of different solids and when I attempted to scale down by 1000 (mm to m) my pc froze.

I got round this by saving the drawing which contained the solid (drawn in mm) then opened up a fresh drawing and used the 'insert block' feature > browsed to the saved solid drawing file > insert with 'uniform scale' option selected with a value of 0.001. The solid model then inserted as though drawn in meters. You can then copy/paste your solids arrangement into any further drawings produced in meters.

Hope that helps,

Duncan

Duncan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost