Did you mean: 

blocks - WILL NOT insert, copy/paste - keep disappearing

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
6847 Views, 20 Replies

blocks - WILL NOT insert, copy/paste - keep disappearing

Hi All,

I am running a new HP intel i3 8 gig Ram  WDW 7 profesional and NVIDAIA 300 graphic card with Autocd 2013.

Problem; I am having a major issue inserting blocks (I have used hundereds of times) into a mian file. I do Commecial site plans and continually use the same blocks of Earthfare, Walmart, Costco, Best buy ect. . . . .   i have a main drawing with site info, easements, setbacks ect. . .and insert the desired tenant block or blocks for the developer.

Anyway, I have been using autocad since 1998 (autocad 12) and have jumped evey version and have never had this issue before.

I have tried Exploding the block >> then highlight it and copy with base point  .. . . then go to master file- shows me outline and asks for scale, insertion as it should but then disappears. the block name does show up in the  manager but no block can be seen in the drawing.

I have tried running purge, (-purge), Audit,  I have also tried goign to insert> block and many copy/ paste commnds and get the same result everytime.

What is wierd is I have added 3 different tenant blocks in this master file already and it worked fine >> now all of sudden it wont take any new ones but also can not add any of the old ones either. . .. I keep getting the diapearing act even on blocks that worked fine in this drawing ealier.

Sometimes drawing take me 2-3 days draw.  I did notice when i start for the 1st time in the morning the blocks insert again. . .then after 5-6 inserts it will just all of a sudden jump into disappear mode and not work right.

Is this a windows error as its a copy/ paste function not completley handled by Autocad???

Is this a Graphic card issue / malfunction .. .

Is this a crappy version of Autocad that has bugs??

any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have never been stumped like this in 10+ years.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

update - when a tenant block finally inserts after 10-20  tries -  it leaves a huge white rectange and is usless.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

- In the block editor window  on the far right of the header is a group of buttons called visability mode.   This could be the cuprit of mty problem.  However I can not toggle the buttons on or off.  they are froze.   anyone know how these work or how access their variable from the main file?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

- In the block editor window  on the far right of the header is a group of buttons called visability mode.   This could be the cuprit of mty problem.  However I can not toggle the buttons on or off.  they are froze.   anyone know how these work or how access their variable from the main file?

Post your DWG.

Message 5 of 21
dgorsman

Unlikely, unless your blocks have deliberately been created as dynamic blocks.  I would suggest that annotative scaling is the leading culprit here.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 21
pendean

Start a new file, not one of your templates, any issues? Of not, then INSERT and explode this problem file, ZOOM EXTENTS, then try and repeat your issue. Can you?
Repeat the experiment with one of your template files.
Repeat with a fe that worked last month.

When does it fail?
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. . . . here is the result: block inserts fine in the new drawing, when I copy the block out of the new drawing and insert into master I am working in, I get the disappearing act again.

Brian Lewis
CAD Technician | CASTO Southeast Realty Services
5391 Lakewood Ranch Boulevard | Suite 100
Sarasota, Florida 34240
P: (941) 552-2703
F: (941) 806-0603
[http://cas.to/sig/logo/casto_default.jpg]

WEBSITE [WEBSITE]

EMAIL [EMAIL]

VCARD [VCARD]

FACEBOOK [FACEBOOK]

TWITTER [FACEBOOK]
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi pendean, thanks for the suggestion. . . . here is the result:  block inserts fine in the new drawing, when I copy the block out of the new drawing and insert into master I am working in,  I get the disappearing act again.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi thanks for the suggestion - result:   I have set the annotavie scale to all  and tried different variations .. .  when i hit insert  - the block appears and asks, select an insert point (at this i can see the drawing block and the scale appears correct) then it asks for scale and rotation (this also apears correct)  once i hit enter then it diapears.  when zoom extent will all layers on --  the block has done a disapearing act in every senerio .  .. . .  so fustrating.

Message 10 of 21
DaveFuller

Were these blocks created in.... oh... say Release 12? I have had several blocks with similar issues. I know it can be tedious, you may have to open, audit, purge and resave you (old) blocks.....
Message 11 of 21
pendean

You only observed one of the suggestions: what about the others, including the second part of the first test?
Reread my first post, the test are aimed to help you sort it out.

Based on your other posts, either share the problem file or fix it as I suggested with my first test (might be too subtle but I suspect you'll figure it out).
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: DaveFuller

Hi Dave -  thanks for the suggestion.  The oldest block was created in 2009 format.  but have all been saved to 2013 format as i do purge and clean up and save them to new versions as a go along over the years.  These are blocks that i use each one 10x a day -  5 days a week. 

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Pendean:  If i start a new file its works for 2-3 block then on the 4th will start the disapearing act.   then if i close out and start another new file and try to import the same blocks in the same order the 1st one will not load- which just previously did in the 1st trial.

I have tried going into the block, exploding it and exploding it again to cover everything then moving eveything to zero layer, -purge, save it. that process does not seem to make any difference.  

I can not seem to find a constant of when it decideds it  wants to have this problem.   one block will work in one file but not another-

thanks again.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Still haveing this issue - - going to change the graphics card from a 300 to 600  and report back.

Any other suggestion are welcomed. Again this is Autocad 2013 issue.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

had to order a card. . .  .. . .  in the mail.

Back to my question,  Does anyone know how to activate the visibility controls in the bedit window (upper right/ autocad 2013)???

this could also be the problem?

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

Pendean-  Its every file, not just one.    It would be inappropriate for me to share them as they contain confidential information.  

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

I've had this issue as well. Again, when I insert a block or try to paste, it will show the block as I am moving the mouse around to pick an insert point, but won't actually insert anything once I do pick a point. It will insert a block if I set the insertion point within the dialog box, but this doesn't help me with paste. It appears randomly and not very often in dwgs. I am running Acad 2013 vanilla. We do also have Acad Mech 2011 in the office as well.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

SilverRey,

I have narrowed this problem down to computer memory issue with Autocad 2013.

If you run program CCleaner (free) . .. its job is itoo clean out old temp files, clean cache and other junk.

Then restart Autocad and the block will work just fine. . ..

2nd fix for this is a bit more difficult. It involves Autocad DGN HOTFIX. . . . they have instruction on this forum.
Basically you get the DGNpurge.DLL file and netload it. .. . then you run the command DGNpurge which is deeper cleaning for blocks than regular purge or audit. This has fixed the block insertion every time also but is a pain as it does not stay loaded. You have to load it every day.

Hope this helps.

Brian Lewis
CAD Technician | CASTO Southeast Realty Services
5391 Lakewood Ranch Boulevard | Suite 100
Sarasota, Florida 34240
P: (941) 552-2703
F: (941) 806-0603

[Casto Logo]

WEBSITE [WEBSITE]

EMAIL [EMAIL]

VCARD [VCARD]

FACEBOOK [FACEBOOK]

TWITTER [TWITTER]
Message 19 of 21
dmfrazier

FYI (for you and others with the "DGN bloat" issue):

Exchange Apps has plug-ins available that make purging affected DWGs much easier.

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/en

I have used one called Drawing Purge (DWG-PURGE) by Ajilal Vijayan, and although it can be time-consuming, it does work.  (I recommend the batch option of the routine, done during "off hours", if possible.)

Message 20 of 21
SAM.YORKE

I ran into this problem recently and attempted all of the solutions on this thread without any success.

It turned out that the layer I was pasting the object in to had actually been turned off previously by another user, when switching the layer on the object would appear successfully along with all my previous attempts.

Worth checking that the correct layers are turned on before going through the other fixes as this would have saved me a lot of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost