Did you mean: 

autocad - thick lines appear empty inside

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3905 Views, 6 Replies

autocad - thick lines appear empty inside

Hi, I need urgent help! 

I have been working on drawings that was initially drawn by someone else (and I can not contact to that person now.)

And there are few problems with it:

1. whenever I click on a line that was drawn with different uc coordinates the whole drawings zooms out and rotates.

(so far I unclicked: UCS --> update view to plan when ucs is changed so get rid of it. Is there a permanent way of avoiding that annoying rotation?)

2. when I xrefed the drawing into another drawing that I have created the thick polylines are empty inside looks like rectangles instead of a thick line. This is the major problem since it reads wrong when it is printed. I can not use fillshot , flatten or any other usefull commands (I think because I use 2014 lt version) and I checked the fill mode which is on. PLEASE HELP!

3. most of the lines also have an z-axis/elevation although it was supposed to be a 2d plan drawing and again because I dont have the flatten command I couldn't flatten the drawing. I do not have express tools either (and I use autocad 2014 LT version for pc)

I checked some of the forum discussions but they didn't help me. Please help.

Many thanks,
Z.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
braudpat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Just a quick idea ...

Have you tried to insert your "strange" DWG in an other DWG in 0,0 with Scale = Zero and Rotation = Zero

and if OK, you can explode it and then you can purge your DWG ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Hi,

It doesn't matter if I copy the thick line only or the whole drawing into another template or an existing file, the lines come out empty inside but whenever I draw a new line and change the global width, that line is filled.
Message 4 of 7
3wood

Answer to the second question - try command FILL. Set the fill mode to ON.

Third question - No idea for LT.

Message 5 of 7
braudpat

Hello

Maybe you could try :

FILLMODE = 1 + REGEN

VPOINT 0,0,1

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

1. whenever I click on a line that was drawn with different uc coordinates the whole drawings zooms out and rotates.

(so far I unclicked: UCS --> update view to plan when ucs is changed so get rid of it. Is there a permanent way of avoiding that annoying rotation?)

2. when I xrefed the drawing into another drawing that I have created the thick polylines are empty inside looks like rectangles instead of a thick line. This is the major problem since it reads wrong when it is printed. I can not use fillshot , flatten or any other usefull commands (I think because I use 2014 lt version) and I checked the fill mode which is on. PLEASE HELP!

1.  That would be the UCSFOLLOW System Variable.  Unfortunately, that is saved in the drawing, and even for each Viewport, so whatever it was set to when the drawing was Saved is what you'll get when you receive the drawing, and you'll probably need to set it to 0 yourself.  You could make a little menu button/icon or define a little command to make it quicker.  I'm not at my place with a newer version of AutoCAD than here, so I can't check right now whether there's a way to turn off the changing to the UCS of something you click on [that's not a feature of my ol' 2004 here].

2.  I'm not sure whether there might be other factors involved, but wide Polylines are filled when the view direction is Plan view in their UCS, and empty when viewed from any other point of view.  You can check by setting the UCS with the Object option to match one of them [though I'm not sure how easy that is if it's in an Xref], and going into Plan view -- they should be filled if there isn't something else going on.  If that's the cause of the problem, you would need to get them into plan view somehow or other, whether by altering the Polylines themselves or setting the view direction [of the Viewport they're in, if they are] to match them....

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
mehrdad.design9

I had the same problem. I tried one of the answers below and typed command VPOINT. When window opens click on "set to plan view". It fixed the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost