Did you mean: 

autocad 2013 and dimension in model space

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
366 Views, 6 Replies

autocad 2013 and dimension in model space

Mtext is not reporting the corrrect text height.  Defuault textsize is 2.5, I create a drawing and set dimscale to 5. Next draw a rectangle in model space and dimension the rectangle.Mtext reports the dimension text height to be 2.5 when it should be 12.5. If you explode the dimension mtext will show the text height to be 12.5.. How do I fix the problem of mtext not reporting the correct text height.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

DIMSCALE: for dimensions only.
MTEXT: not a dimension object. DIMSCALE has no effect on it.

Where exactly is this workflow come from? Are you trying to use Annotative text/dimensions? Or do you need help removing an MTEXT editor override, or a STYLE setting override?

If you have no idea, post a DWG with the problem for review.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

dimscale is not just for dimensioning

Try what I did, set textsize to 2.5 in model space draw a rectangle, dimension the the rectangle. when you select the text on teh demsion line mtext will open. it will show the text being 2.5 when it ashoul show 12.5. see attached drawing

Message 4 of 7
nestly2

The dimension is a single object, and you have it scaled up 5x  (DIMSCALE = 5).  The concept is no different than a block that's scaled.  When you explode it, it doesn't revert to the source dimensions, it explodes at the applied scale.

Dimscale.gif

If you want/need the MText editor to show the actual MS height, then you have to stop forcing AutoCAD to scale the dimensions by 5x.  (ie set your text height to the desired height and use DIMSCALE = 1)

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

he problem is that the company I work for dose not believe in using paper space and viewports. they scale up the model space to fit what they are doing..  when they do panel layouts they will scale the model space up for 2X to 7.5 times. and when they are do plot plans it can be from x2 to x2000.  I did not have nay problems before autocad 2012.  I have tried to get them to do paper space like the rest of the wolrd but they will not change.  They want me to fix it so Mtext read the proper text height.  I have told them I do not know of away to do it.They think I am to put i politily is that I am stupid.

Message 6 of 7
nestly2

Unfortunately, I believe they've asked you to do something that AutoCAD cannot do.  MTEXT editor reads the text height property of the dimension object, not the text height after scaling.  I'm not sure about the reference to 2012, the annimation in my previous message was actually done with AutoCAD2011, so I don't believe that behavior is version specific.

If you're not familiar with Annotative scaling, that may be an option you want to explore.  It's AutoCAD's most recent and most powerful tool for annotations that have to be displayed at multiple scales, and it works equally well in Modelspace and Paperspace.  Dimensions always display at the correct plot size as longs as the dimesion(s) have that scale applied.  (see demo below)

Annotative scaling.gif

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

thank you for ypou help. I also tried to getthem to use annotative but they will not go for that either

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost