AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 1 of 17 (2,013 Views)

“annotation scale” on the lay out mode,

2013 Views, 16 Replies
03-14-2013 12:58 PM

“annotation scale” on the lay out mode,

I’m not sure about the current “annotation scale” in case of lay out mode.

Annotation scale option is displayed only in the model and viewport mode but not in the lay out mode (attached)!

Based on what annotative objects living on the lay out but neither in the model (or viewport) are re-sized? At this mode, there is no option to choose the annotation scale?

On other words, how to choose the annotation scale in the lay out mode?

Thank you for the help,

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------------------------
Jamal NUMAN, GIS and Civil Engineer, MSc
e-mail: JamaL9722060@yahoo.com
P.O.Box: 731, Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine.
Software: AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD C3D, AutoCAD M3D, Revit
Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bits),
Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 2 of 17 (2,010 Views)

Re: “annotation scale” on the lay out mode,

03-14-2013 01:24 PM in reply to: JamaL9722060

The Layout is always 1:1.  Try throwing a dimension or other annotative entity into a paperspace layout without activating a viewport.  Then go to properties and search for the annotative scale of those items.  They will always be 1:1.  Unless you physically go into properties and add another annotation scale, that is.

Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 3 of 17 (1,989 Views)

03-14-2013 03:10 PM in reply to: steve216586

Thanks steve,

All what I wanted is to enjoy having the annotation scale for objects living in the lay out and thus can be resized according to the selected annotation scale of that lay out!

Please, have a look on the attached screenshot! So crowded and there is no annotation scale to re-size them!

Best

Jamal

Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 4 of 17 (1,981 Views)

03-14-2013 03:59 PM in reply to: JamaL9722060

All objects in the layout should have an annotation scale of 1:1 (full size).  That is why there is no annotation scale in paper space.  When a viewport is active, it displays the viewport's annotation scale, not the current model space annotation scale.  Model space supports multiple annotation scales.  The odd number in your first attachment means that you have fitted model space into the viewport by zooming or panning.  Select a standard scale to scale the viewport correctly.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 17 (1,975 Views)

03-14-2013 05:29 PM in reply to: JamaL9722060
LAYOUT=Sheet of PAPER
Viewports=Model content

Are you wanting the sheet of paper to size up to the size of a city block to hold your building?
No: you want your building to be at a scale to fit your sheet of paper so the you can plot it in the real world, not giant-world :smileyhappy:

Scaling is done in the viewport Jamal: hope that helps.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 6 of 17 (1,964 Views)

03-15-2013 12:54 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you guys for the answer,

I’m NOT talking here about annotative objects that are living in the MODEL or VIEWPORT! Those can be managed directly by the annotation scale!

I’m talking about annotative objects that are living in the LAY OUT (attached)! For them, one should be able to choose annotation scale so that these annotative objects can be re-sized accordingly!

Thus, no issue about what is inside the viewport or on the model! The issue is about objects on the lay out (or whatever you call it: sheet, paper, etc)

Best

Jamal

Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 7 of 17 (1,956 Views)

03-15-2013 03:37 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

That's not what it's designed to do.  The underlying presumption is that paper space only has one scale, 1:1  Any object should be placed on the layout at the size you want it to be when plotted.  Usinbg annotation scale to control display size on paper is contrary to the way the software is designed.

If you want something in paper space to show up at a differenht size than it is, use the SCALE command and resize it.  don't expect annotative abbilities to affect size of entities in paper space. 

Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 8 of 17 (1,950 Views)

03-15-2013 04:50 AM in reply to: JGerth

Many thanks JGerth,

Great! Then why objects living on the lay out still have “annotation scale” property (please, have a look on the attached screenshot)!

If this against the design to see these objects based on a particular “annotation scale” then I must not be assumed to see their annotative representation while they are on the lay out mode as that doesn’t make any sense!

Best

Jamal

Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 9 of 17 (1,945 Views)

03-15-2013 05:07 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

uhm,, you're seeing it because you are using an annotative style for that text.    That doesn't mean that it will have any affect in paper space.  If your text style was not defined as annotative, then that would not show up as a property.  If my text style in not annotative, i won't see that annotative scale option in either model or paper space.

In the same manner, you're seeing Material as bylayer, even though you are not rendering the mtext object.  It doesn't mean anything in the context of what you are doing, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

As to why it shows up?  I suppose the answer is the developers didn't see any reason to filter the properties dialog based on active space/current context.  It's a property of the text object after all.  heck, i can assign a material to a point object, although that will never mean anything or display in a rendering.

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 10 of 17 (1,939 Views)

03-15-2013 06:23 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

When a draftsman sets up his text size and dimension scale, the main questions they ask themselves are, "What size sheet will I need to convey all my information?" and  "What size do I want the text and dimensions to be when plotted on that sheet size?"  Usually a company will have standards for this.  Text = .125", arrow size is .1875", offset from object for extensiion lines = .09375" etc, etc. If you have set all those parameters correctly, they should match in paperspace, even across different scaled viewports, using the correct annotatoin scales for those viewports.  Meaning essentially, all "written" information contained in your drawing will be annotated at the same size and plot to the size you desire. 

The sheet size a draftman selects will, by its inherent size, be able to produce that effect.  Meaning if I have a small part drawing with little detail, I will probably be able to plot that to 8 1/2 x 11.  But however, if I have a civil drawing of a city block, I could not plot to 8 1/2 x 11 and fit all of my information required, (text and dimensions) on that sheet using the same text size as the small part.  If I scale the text down to a smaller annotation scale, therefore decreasing the size of my text to .015625" it would not be readable.  My only choice is to use a larger sheet size.  I could use D or even E size and that paper woul dprovide additional space for all the annotation and information I need to convey my design.

The answer to your original question is the same as what was provided for your viewport question.  I told you to increase the size of the viewport and therefore you could scale the view, add your dimensions at a different scale, and lose the clutter.  That is the only porcess which could have allowed you more space for your dimensions and text without them being cluttered. 

Now you want to scale your paperspace text down but the more you do that the less readable it becomes.  It also will NOT match the text in the rest of your drawings.  You must keep the text size and increase the size of the view.  Or if the overall project is very large you must break it up into separate views. 

I used to design roadway and bridge designs for DOT work.  We had projects over 5 miles long.  There is no way I could convey our design intent for a project of that size, in a plan view, on a single D sized sheet!  I broke the project down into individual, scaled detail sheets of sections along the project at known intervals.

If you want to use annotation scales to scale yoru text in the drawing you provided, you can do that.  I told you how.  after placing the annotation object and then selecting it, you can enter into PROPERTIES and add another annotation scale to be associated with that object and delete the 1:1 scale.

I must warn you that if you create multiple drawings with multiple text sizes and dimension sizes across those sheets or even within the same sheet: that is producing garbage!  Very unprofessional and shows a great lack of not having any CAD standards or regard for such, to those who receive your drawings.  Believe me, different text sizes with no rhyme or reason stand out like sore thumbs.  You only create bigger problems to those who receive the garbage and have to fix it or work with it.  Most industry standards define that generally, drawings only contain different size text or screening for general annotation to convey "Existing" vs "Proposed".

"Scroll" scaling is also a loser idea to use when trying to make a view "fit" on your paper.  That is the last of my advice for you Jamal, and I truly wish you well and that you seek proper CAD standards and practices and put them to use. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube