Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xline snap problems

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
aburgner
4748 Views, 16 Replies

Xline snap problems

We have a user that is trying to snap to xlines.  While zoomed out, everything seems fine.  However, when you zoom in, lines have not snapped to the proper location (see attached).   Any thoughts?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
rkmcswain
in reply to: aburgner

If you have not already, set your UNITS to 8 decimal places, the use DIST to measure the distance between the ENDpoint of the line PERP to the xline.

You can't trust the display, always measure if you think a problem exists.

Here is an image of a drawing I just made.

dis8.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 17
Kent1Cooper

That kind of thing is especially likely when curved objects are involved, because their curvature in display resolution can be kinked into linear segments, which may not be refined when you Zoom in, unless you Regenerate.  That fixes the display coarsening at whatever view level you are at, but you can minimize the issue by calling up the VIEWRES command, and giving it a very high Circle Zoom Percent value.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 17
aburgner
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

The object in question was not a curved object. 

Message 5 of 17
aburgner
in reply to: rkmcswain

I changed the units to 8 decimal places.  The line in question really did not snap to what it was supposed to. 

The distance was:

x:  0.00032844

y:  0.00000000

z:  0.00000002

Message 6 of 17
edwin.prakoso

Can you inquiry the coordinate at that point? Use the ID command. If the coordinate is very large, that could be the problem.
If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 7 of 17
HATNINJA

I ALSO AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM IT STARTED WHEN MY COMPANY SWITCHED TO 2014. THE NEAREST SNAP IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. WITH ORTHO OFF I USED TO BE ABLE TO MOVE A LINE TO ANOTHER PIONT ON A PERPENDICULAR LINE AS LONG AS THE NEAREST SNAP IS ACTIVE. NOW WHEN I DO THE SAME THING THE LINE ALWAYS GOES TO A POINT NOT ON THE PERP LINE!!! THIS HAS CAUSED ME MANY ERRORS AT WORK AND VERY FRUSTRATING!!! VIEW ATTACHMENT.

Message 8 of 17
scot-65

Is your SNAPMODE on?
If so, what is your SNAPUNIT?
SNAPUNIT should be at least 4 times the drawing scale that is considered "normal" drafting mode. Any less and the user will notice when zoomed in close.
Example: 1/4 scale drawing times 4 is 1/16 or 0.0625.
Find a way to always turn SNAPMODE on when launching the editor and by the time one notices it is in the way, and SNAPMODE is turned off, the damage is done - objects are on the grid...

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 9 of 17
nestly2
in reply to: HATNINJA

HATNINJA wrote:

I ALSO AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM IT STARTED WHEN MY COMPANY SWITCHED TO 2014. THE NEAREST SNAP IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. WITH ORTHO OFF I USED TO BE ABLE TO MOVE A LINE TO ANOTHER PIONT ON A PERPENDICULAR LINE AS LONG AS THE NEAREST SNAP IS ACTIVE. NOW WHEN I DO THE SAME THING THE LINE ALWAYS GOES TO A POINT NOT ON THE PERP LINE!!! THIS HAS CAUSED ME MANY ERRORS AT WORK AND VERY FRUSTRATING!!! VIEW ATTACHMENT.

Are you trying to track perpendicular from the line being moving, or perpendicular to the destination line? (see below)

Are you manually specifying any Osnaps, or are you trying to do it only with "running?" Osnaps? 

Perpendicular move.gif

Message 10 of 17
HATNINJA
in reply to: nestly2

Here is a real simple screen shot. this happens in the move or copy command only when I specify a dimension. I click move pick the line at the end and drag it in the direction I want it to move make sure the nearest snap is active and type in lets say 1. Watch what happens in next pic. This happens on any line in any direction. Dont say use ortho because it dont help if i am moving along a line 45 degrees.  sample2.jpgsample1.jpg 

Message 11 of 17
nestly2

I think you're experiencing a known bug with an undocked command line.  Try docking the command line and report back if the problem still exists.

Message 12 of 17
HATNINJA

Thank you for this response. I cant do anything with my command line but close it. Ive tried to drag the line down to the dock position but just get red circle with red line through it.

Message 13 of 17
HATNINJA

I am clocking out now but will check back in the morning.

Message 14 of 17
rkmcswain

HATNINJA wrote:
........I cant do anything with my command line but close it. Ive tried to drag the line down to the dock position but just get red circle with red line through it.

Make sure LOCKUI = 0, and that you don't have any other utilities running (such as Quikpik) that can lock UI elements into place.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 15 of 17
nestly2

HATNINJA wrote:

Thank you for this response. I cant do anything with my command line but close it. Ive tried to drag the line down to the dock position but just get red circle with red line through it.

Sounds like you have "Floating windows" locked.  HOLD down CTRL key while dragging, and/or unlock it  LOCKUI command.

The bug I was referring to only occurs with a Floating command line and when Dynamic Input > Pointer Input is disabled, so you can also test by turning on Dynamic Input if you don't want to dock the Command line.

Message 16 of 17
Kent1Cooper

@HATNINJA wrote:

.... this happens in the move or copy command only when I specify a dimension. I click move pick the line at the end and drag it in the direction I want it to move make sure the nearest snap is active and type in lets say 1. .... This happens on any line in any direction. Dont say use ortho because it dont help if i am moving along a line 45 degrees.   

I think typically that distance-in-aimed-direction positional results override object snap, which sounds like what's happening, but look into the OSNAPCOORD System Variable, which I think may be able to change that for you.  Or try the combination of Osnap Tracking on and Polar Tracking on, and drag it until it latches onto the right spot, rather than giving it a distance.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 17
HATNINJA

NESTLY THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH. THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM!! I DID HAVE TO UNLOCK THE UI THOUGH IT WAS SET AT 15???!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost