AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Message 1 of 6 (593 Views)

X-Ref issues with Dropbox

593 Views, 5 Replies
01-04-2013 06:13 AM

My office uses Dropbox as a server for all of our working files. I can create and work with CAD files (using many x-refs) without a problem. The problem that I have occurs whenever someone else in the office tries to use the CAD file that I created with x-refs OR whenever I use a different computer station (still logged in as myself)...the X-refs are always missing (detached).  I can reattach them but this defeats the purpose of using the X-ref. Can someone that understands how Dropbox works help me out PLEASE!!????

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (590 Views)

Re: X-Ref issues with Dropbox

01-04-2013 06:29 AM in reply to: bill

What type of XREF saved path method do you use? Full (always problematic if there is a the slightest drive/location change), Relative (fewer problems), or None (no problems)?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Message 3 of 6 (534 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: pendean
We have been using the default method when attaching files (I would assume that this is the 'full' method). I had originally thought that the issue was the path for the x-refs...because CAD would need to access Dropbox to get the attached files. Is there a simple way to change the path for the x-ref? Bill Solms
*Expert Elite*
M_Hensley
Message 4 of 6 (532 Views)

01-16-2013 04:14 AM in reply to: bill

There is a stand-alone program that gets installed along with AutoCAD called Reference Manager. This program will allow you to manage the paths for xrefs in multiple drawings at once.

Distinguished Mentor
darawork
Message 5 of 6 (528 Views)

01-16-2013 04:44 AM in reply to: bill

Dropbox will ask you at installation stage where you want it to reside on your hard drive, this usually defaults to C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Dropbox unless stated otherwise via browsing for a custom location during installation.

When you make a full path-name XREF from this location it will be e.g: C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Dropbox\WHATEVERFOLDERNAME\DrawingName.dwg

Whereas when you browse from a different location, even logged in as yourself, this link will be broken.

Here is why: Dropbox is not installed "For all users", only the user who initially installed the program.

If there was an option to install "For all users" it probably still would not work correctly because C:\Users would need to contain each and every Users folder that would ever be logged in in the future. Install "For all users" would never work for an application like Dropbox, trying to sync multiple User account folders would be a Windows local security policy rats-nest.

Long story short: Uninstall Dropbox and reinstall it so it makes its 'Dropbox' folder at C:\Dropbox

That should work, as long as all users have their Dropbox installed at C:\Dropbox (Not D:\Dropbox Etc...)

System information: Win7 x64 / 3DSMax Design 2015 / AutoCad 2015 / Xeon E31225 quadcore @3.10Ghz / PNY GTX760 XLR8 2GB (335.23 Driver) / 24Gb Ram / Corsair 650w
Active Contributor
elliottsmith7252
Message 6 of 6 (297 Views)

09-19-2013 08:10 AM in reply to: darawork
I happened to come along this for another reason, but in case anyone in the future finds this topic, consider.

The dropbox app will sync to the dropbox account of the person running it. If multiple users all sync to the same folder, there is no way to keep files in "your" dropbox. "Selective Sync" may be a partial solution, but not to the problem discussed above.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube