475 Views, 2 Replies

Would like system build help please

Hello

I'm building a system for a friend who will be using it for:

AutoCAD 2013
CREO Parametric 2.0
AutoCAD P & ID
PROCAD 3D Smart

I build all my friends gaming systems but this would be my first workstation build, so I've come to you guys for help. I've learned about the whole optimized driver situation for the graphics side and he's opted for the nvidia Quadro K5000. He's interested in going with a RAID 10 setup, any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

The main issue I would like advise on is the choice of going with a server board/CPU or a high end desktop board/CPU. It seems to me that AUTOCAD will only use one core, so he would be better off with a CPU that operates at a higher frequescy.  I was thinking about going with socket LGA 2011. On the server side it would be a Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.1GHz or Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.6GHz. If it's a desktop I would go with a i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz or a i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz if he wants a six-core.

Will he be better off with a server board or will a high end desktop build work fine?

Also I see there is a EM64T requirement. This is now refered to as Intel 64 right?

I appreciate any advise. Thanks

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
nrz13
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't speak to the other softwares, but as far as AutoCAD goes, we've been fine with a desktop build with workstation graphics.  And yes, AutoCAD can only use one core for most things, although rendering and regen can use multiple cores (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15224826&linkID=9240617).  If it were me, I'd go with the highest clock i7 vs. paying the extra for the server board and CPU.  Again, I have no experience with any of the other programs you mentioned, though; they may have different requirements and capabilities.

My full specs are below; we mostly do 2D stuff, but 3D every once in a while.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 3
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

Friend don't let friend buy Xeons.  Extra cost and zip benefit for doing CAD.  thow in ECC RAM, and you're jacking the cost up with squat for benefit.

I've inherited a Dell 690 workstation, dual Xeon and 6Gb RAM.  Adding another 4Gb of RAM will run $300 (from Crucial, not Dell).  That's not cost effective.....

Workstations are not servers.  (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc push Xeon for 'workstations' because there's a better margin of profit in it for them - not because it helps the end user get things done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost