Did you mean: 

Where is my second Model Space?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
zzz144
1295 Views, 26 Replies

Where is my second Model Space?

2015 autocad is about to be released. 

Where is the second model space for easier navigation. 

I'll tell you where it is. 

It's not there! 

If you bring around another buzzsaw imprevement and another spying online contectivity tool i am going to quit and sell popsicles in mexico. 

Is there a ranting section? 

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
pendean
in reply to: zzz144

Please elaborate on this need for a second modelspace: it's an intriguing request. What's the benefit? Purpose?
Where have you seen this implemented?
Message 3 of 27
dmfrazier

How would having a second model space make for "easier navigation"?

If you need a second model space, just create a new DWG file.  If you want a third... well, I think you get the idea.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Getting-Started-with-the/IdeaStations/ta-p/4623561

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Getting-Started-with-the/The-Break-Room/ta-p/4623581

Message 4 of 27
Murph_Map

The VPORT command in the model tab works fine for me. Create two or three vports and set the use and view to each as needed. 

vports.PNG

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 27
Jay_B
in reply to: Murph_Map

Model Space Viewports have been in AutoCad for quite some time.
In addition to the VPORT key in Murph mentioned they can also be found
on the View Tab of the Ribbon.
http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-3E43911D-0A0F-4900-BE32-5EF846AF36D8.htm
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 27
pendean

Ahh! Is that all the OP is looking for? Gosh, I was waiting for words of magic, not inexperience, to light the way. Good catch guys.
Message 7 of 27
JDMather
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Ahh! Is that all the OP is looking for?

Surely the problem description is referring to something else?
Tiled modelspace viewports have been in AutoCAD since the last century.

I think we need to wait for clarification by the OP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 27
zzz144

I dont know what some of you use your autocad for... 10 lines and thats it... 

my files for a single project are huge. sometimes a maze of 2d sometimes 3d and sometimes both.

a second model would purge half of that and make work so much faster. 

spliting that into two vports would only make things even slower. 

but if i could do my floor plans in one model and the details in another with referenced views back and forth when needed ONLY.... it would clean up everything. 

if you cannot make autocad use all the cores on my machine give me a second model. and model-viewports at 1:1

i am not trying to solve my speed of work - but the software - when you load it up it slows down. it makes my experinece really unpleasant. 

16 cores @ 3.6 ghz, quadro 4000, 40GB of ram, SSD.

i am sure the guys at autodesk can figure out how to make this work... 

let your ideas run wild. 

what would you use a second model space for? how would you make it work if you were the software engineer. 
i think its called forward thinking. 

i know i can do it with the exisiting setup. 

the isolate command was a huge improvement. but not quite it. 

Message 9 of 27
Murph_Map

@zzz144 wrote:

I dont know what some of you use your autocad for... 10 lines and thats it... 

my files for a single project are huge. sometimes a maze of 2d sometimes 3d and sometimes both.

a second model would purge half of that and make work so much faster. 

spliting that into two vports would only make things even slower. 

but if i could do my floor plans in one model and the details in another with referenced views back and forth when needed ONLY.... it would clean up everything. 

if you cannot make autocad use all the cores on my machine give me a second model. and model-viewports at 1:1

i am not trying to solve my speed of work - but the software - when you load it up it slows down. it makes my experinece really unpleasant. 

@Anonymous cores @ 3.6 ghz, quadro 4000, 40GB of ram, SSD.

i am sure the guys at autodesk can figure out how to make this work... 

let your ideas run wild. 

what would you use a second model space for? how would you make it work if you were the software engineer. 
i think its called forward thinking. 

i know i can do it with the exisiting setup. 

the isolate command was a huge improvement. but not quite it. 

I work with maps and at times I had maps of 5 counties diplaying all the electrical distrubtion lines with property lines, roads, right of ways and foot prints of the buildings. So I guess my dwgs were on the large size as well. Using multiple viewports and named views worked for me. Now I will admit that with the Civil apps there is a LOD function (Level of Detail) that as we zoom in/out the display shows different entities/objects. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 27
pendean

so you think you're the only one with complex drawings in AutoCAD? That's a very narrow minded view: you're not unique or special in any way, you're just like the rest of us.

You also seemto have shifted the topic to program speed: again, nothing new, we all experience it and it has nothing to do with how many model spaces you can have at all.

So, going back to your 'muddled' wishlist: you are now describing the perfect use/instance for XREFs. Instead of ALL your floor plans being in one file, they are separate files XREF'd into a top master file. Jump between the different files or, with more than a single monitor, slide between your files and edit at will. That's how we all do it.

What are you using for a monitor? Are you using XREFs at all?
Message 11 of 27
dgorsman

Routinely work with projects with 30 or 40 5-10 MB models, along with some vendor equipment models converted to AutoCAD solids, all on hardware which is decidedly inferior.  And - its WORKING.  So it may be time to revisit your work processes, level of detail, maybe check for excess annotation scales and DGN linetypes, the usual stuff.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 27
zzz144
in reply to: pendean

maybe you are 'muddled' but my topic is not.

2 dell 24" monitors. video card up to date.
i cannot draw once the file gets too large.
why not split it up.
yes i use xrefs.
and xrefs within xrefs.
Message 13 of 27
zzz144
in reply to: dgorsman

my files reach up to 300 mb.
i cannot revisit my level of detai. silly suggestion - no offence.
they cannot be xrefed - all are unique.
Message 14 of 27
jggerth1

@zzz144 wrote:
my files reach up to 300 mb.
i cannot revisit my level of detai. silly suggestion - no offence.

To satisfy my curiosity -- why does uniqueness suggest that the information cannot be Xreffed?  Especially since you've previously alluded to using XRefs and nested Xrefs??

It simply sounds like you are exceeding the capabilities of your hardware and organizational methods.  300 Mb is on the large size, but I'll work with terrain, lidar, imagery, and design files where the total size of the active drawings +referenced files is on that same order.  And that's with neither an SSD or that amount of RAM.  Core count is pretty much not meaningful in ACAD, sorry to say.  (Although the only place it could make a difference really is in handling all the eye candy in the post 2005 releases -- the rest of acad would likely see minimal improvements)

How I'm handling that composite load is by unloading the XRef items I'm not working on, and by firing up multiple sessions of Acad to work concurrently on the XRef files.  DTM in one file, existing conditions in another, design roads in a third, erosion control elements in a fourth,   They are really only all brought together in the final Sheet files for publishing.

Message 15 of 27
JDMather

@zzz144 wrote:

In Autodesk Inventor - all is "xrefed".  And it works pretty much like your problem description - but of course for a different field of work.  (shrinkwrap, level of detail....)

I don't know anything about Revit, but I can't help but wonder if Autodesk already has a modern product (Revit?) that has the functionality you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 16 of 27
zzz144
in reply to: jggerth1

Jgreth - I never said uniquiness cannot be xrefed. But in 3D modeling it cannot. Simple.
Message 17 of 27
zzz144
in reply to: JDMather

Just found another thing that bugs me... 

i constantly switch between 2d and 3d working layouts. 

but the view cube is there - you would think that if you right click on it you would find a way to turn it off. 

no sir. 

you would think that under the measure toolbar you would find such things as selecting a bunch of closed polys and it would give you the area. 

No sir. 

and a bunch of lines/arcs/polys for total lenght. 

no sir. 

AutoCAD 2014. 

Very curious about 2015. Let me guess. A shinier ribbon for kids where you have to click twice to invoke 1 command. 

Message 18 of 27
jggerth1

I'll agree that the NAVVCUBE is often a PITA.  It's something I never need, and there's no obvious way to turn it off onscreen.  The setvar NAVVCUBEDISPLAY set to 0 works, but it's a per viewport setting.  Maybe you'll want to set up a macro to enable/disable it.

Total Length of multiple objects i don't anticipate Adesk ever providing a tool for -- it's been a solved problem via LISP for decades now.  google TLEN.lsp

Area command ADD mode, select objects.  Works here.....

getting back to the original post -- seems that the request would be addressed by multiple child document windows into the same modelspace of a drawingdrawing?  IIRC uStn does something on that order with child windows and views.  I cpould see that as being useful, but won't hold my breath

Message 19 of 27
zzz144

I am not sure what "IIRC uStn" means???? 
I know i have the tlen and polyarea lisps. they work good. 

It baffles me that whoever the project manager is for AutoCAD is not asking us what we would like to see. it would be so easy to integrate these two into properties. same with volumes. no need for a special command. if they wanted to mke things simpler thats how to do it. maybe a checkbox for advanced view in the properties dialog. 

two model spaces is forward thinking. Just imagine. I do not have time to but I am sure that if they spent an afternoon they could come up with some amazing ideas. 

but why would they - they have no competition. 

this is why i love buying japanese cars. why reward sloppy manufacturers. 

ok i am going off topic. 

sorry. not really. Just waiting for someone like apple to come around and transform this tool into something really incredible. 

for example:

the rendering engine has stayed the same since 2000. I have purchased additional software for rendering. that money coudl have gone to autodesk. 

purchased additional software so i could do constraints. there are no 3d constraints in autocad. there are 2d sloppy ones. that barely work. 

Message 20 of 27
sthompson1021

I agree that there is no obvious way to turn off the NAVVCUBE, but for anyone following this thread that hasn't found it yet, in the upper left corner of the display, click on the - sign when it appears and you can turn off the viewcube from there.

port.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost