AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 1 of 5 (433 Views)

What is the purpose of "style overrides"?

433 Views, 4 Replies
01-30-2013 07:20 AM

I have to ask...

What is the purpose of "style overrides"?  In dimension styles, I mean.

I've been using AutoCAD for over 20 years.  I've been having "style overrides" take over dimensions from the set styles for seemingly forever.  I'm not asking how to stop them, though that would be nice, but just want to know what their purpose is.

New drawing, new project, fresh program install, doesn't seem to make a difference.  They still show up.

Seriously, I cannot recall even one single time... ever... that I wanted the program to override my set style.  Not once.

Is there a legitimate purpose behind them that I am missing?

Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 2 of 5 (427 Views)

Re: What is the purpose of "style overrides"?

01-30-2013 07:30 AM in reply to: deltacoolguy

If you are speaking of dimstyle, an override occurs anytime a dimension variable is changed outside of ddim modify style.

This can typically occur if: 1)Your template was not saved with the overrides merged into the style, 2)You have lisp or vba customizations or menu macros that change the styles. or 3)You set dimscale or another variable directly.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 5 (419 Views)

01-30-2013 08:10 AM in reply to: deltacoolguy

Two words: client requirements.  Sometimes they all make sense, except they want some additional dimensions with no decimals and an italic text.  And they only want one dimension style to be used.  So, after dimensioning everything else you set up an override and do all those dimensions.  Lets say they want radial dimensions to look different as well, so you set up a new style for that, which is also an override.  Client gets what they want, and you don't have to bugger around with a bunch of manual style changes on individual dimension entities.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Adrien8100
Message 4 of 5 (414 Views)

01-30-2013 08:28 AM in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman wrote:

Two words: client requirements.  Sometimes they all make sense, except they want some additional dimensions with no decimals and an italic text.  And they only want one dimension style to be used.  So, after dimensioning everything else you set up an override and do all those dimensions.  Lets say they want radial dimensions to look different as well, so you set up a new style for that, which is also an override.  Client gets what they want, and you don't have to bugger around with a bunch of manual style changes on individual dimension entities.

I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that customer gets what they want, and you don't have to bugger around with a bunch of manual style changes on individual dimension entities.

I agreed what's said above!!!

Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 5 of 5 (373 Views)

02-05-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: Adrien8100

Client requirements makes sense.  If I were to make a change in a setting, that could justify... maybe.  But, neither is the case.  At least with me (most of the time).  At least not consciously.  I can be in the middle of a drawing session, cruising along, and wham!... a style override gets whipped on me.

Since I first posted this thread I have done a great deal of reading and research, and have come to the conclusion that the way it is handled now is a fault... a serious fault.

I can see a use for them as an option, but remain unconvinced that I need to be overruled by the program at the whim of the program.  There should be an option to simply turn the feature off.

And with that I will now head to the "wish list" forum.

Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.