Did you mean: 

VIEWBASE section respecting layers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Bothar
1476 Views, 6 Replies

VIEWBASE section respecting layers

Hello,

Is there any way to get the VIEWBASE command to respect the layer settings when creating section views?

It help keep clarity, our plot styles are already setup, and IMO, more logical.

Ideas?

Viewbase Section

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Bothar

Create the layers in your template with the settings you want.  The next time you create a drawing and use the viewbase commands the layers will already be set to what you want.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 7
RyanBotha
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Hi, responding under my personal account...

We have template files, with layers setup, text styles, etc. I don't see the correlation between my question and template files. Please explain what you meant.

I've also rewritten the quesiton, in case I was unclear.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Message 4 of 7
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Bothar

With the viewbase commands you will end up with only a few layers starting with MD_, those can be controlled through layer properties to display color, line type, line width, etc.  You won't be able to keep the colors of the objects layer.

So what I do is have layers in my template with the MD_***  layers and set those to the color, linetype, and plot style I want them to use so I can control linewidth pretty well.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 7
doberrieth

OK so I've read through alot of forums concerninig lineweights when generating 2d orthagonal views from 3D models using Viewbase. I have not found one answer that truely addresses this question. There is alot of talk about adjusting layer properties but that can only work if the drawing view generated by autocad has created lines that are on different layers. For example I created a section view from the base plan of the 3D model. ALL of the lines in the section view are on the MD_Visible layer except for hatching. Autocad has generated other MD_*** layers but none of those are being used in that autocad generated section view. Now you can change the method from Full to Distance to slice and it will toggle on and off the lines in the distance. Great but why not put those lines in the distance on a different layer if you can turn them off. If those lines in the distance were on a different layer then one could adjust the lineweight or color through the layer manager.

All of this stuff about CTB and STB really has no bearing if ALL of the lines in a drawing view generated by autocad are on the same layer.

So, the point is...does Autocad allow for the adjustment of lineweights and colors while using VIEWBASE as a means to create 2D orthagonal views? From what I'm reading the answer is no. If this is the case then why can't someone just say that. If there is a way to make Autocad differentiate what should be heavy or light when creating the views then what is that toggle or setting or process. Why would autuocad create layers called MD_Visible Narrow if it doesn't actually put lines on that layer? Another way to look at this is why can't the user select a line and put it on that layer? If either of these two options are possible then please explain how.

What amazes me is that lineweights are a essential tool for detailing / engineering. Why is this so hard to get this to happen? Why was it not considered when creating the VIEWBASE functionality of autocad?

Message 6 of 7
GrantsPirate
in reply to: doberrieth

So, the point is...does Autocad allow for the adjustment of lineweights and colors while using VIEWBASE as a means to create 2D orthagonal views?
While creating, no. After with the few layers given, yes.

Why would autuocad create layers called MD_Visible Narrow if it doesn't actually put lines on that layer?
That layer is used, but on a limited basis and not the way you are hoping for. When first creating the base you can use the Visibility option and answer yes to the sub-options. This will use the narrow layer if your model is created to where they would be shown. Again, this is probably not going to be what you are after, but AutoCAD does use the narrow layer.

Another way to look at this is why can't the user select a line and put it on that layer? If either of these two options are possible then please explain how.
Not possible.

What amazes me is that lineweights are a essential tool for detailing / engineering. Why is this so hard to get this to happen? Why was it not considered when creating the VIEWBASE functionality of autocad?

It isn't perfected to where you would like it so go back to flatshot, or soldraw, etc. until the day that they do add the functionality you want.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 7 of 7
doberrieth

Thank you for your response. These are the answers I was looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost