Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Windows 8 screen touch to pan and zoom

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
nedwards9820
3161 Views, 9 Replies

Using Windows 8 screen touch to pan and zoom

AutoCAD 2013 was not Windows-8 compatible, but AutoCAD2014 is supposed to be.

I would like to use Windows 8 standard pan and zoom concepts for speed of moving around drawings

i.e. pan (single finger) and zoom (two fingers) ...  

To actually draw I will use a pen (essential for precision).

I have a Toshiba Portege tablet with a dual-touch screen (Wacom-digitizer-pen and capacitative-finger).  

Currently I have to get AutoCAD2014 ready to accept PAN or ZOOM WINDOW before touching the screen.... which takes too long.

Does anyone know if the OS talks to the AutoCAD interface such that I could write 

"on single-finger-touch, if not in the middle of a command then pan from here..... to [next touch] there"

and

"on two-fingers-touching, if not in the middle of a command then zoom [pinch-to-zoom]"

-ne

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: nedwards9820

What do you mean exactly by "...Currently I have to get AutoCAD2014 ready to accept PAN or ZOOM WINDOW before touching the screen.... which takes too long...."?

isn't PAN two fingers moving together, and ZOOM two fingers moving apart (or coming together)?

Message 3 of 10
nedwards9820
in reply to: pendean

I want the pan/zoom to be the standard Windows 8 pan/zoom.  Which I think is a single finger for pan and two fingers for zoom (on a picture, for instance).

So no, pan is normally a single finger as far as I know.

-ne

Message 4 of 10
pendean

I meant Pan and Zoom inside AutoCAD, not Win8 or other apps: doesn't it behave as I wrote inside AutoCAD?

Fropm AutoCAD 2014's HELP file:

"Pan and Zoom With a Touch Pad

If you use a touch pad, you can use gestures to pan and zoom.

• Zoom in. Glide thumb and index finger apart.
  • Zoom out. Pinch thumb and index finger together.
  • Pan. Use a two-finger swipe in the direction that you want to move the content."

What what about my first question?

Message 5 of 10
nedwards9820
in reply to: pendean

I am interested in making AutoCAD2014 work as if it compied with the Windows8 standards. 

so that is a single finger to pan and two fingers to zoom.

If AutoCAD2014 can correclty claim to be compatible with Windows8, surely it should comply with the  Windows8 standard user interface?

-ne

Message 6 of 10
nedwards9820

And critically, what I am looking for is different functionality from the pen than from fingers: using fingers for (imprecise) but instant zoom/pan ('pan, 'zoom) and using the pen for drawing.

I don't want my fingers to start drawing lines or other drawing primitives, because if they do they will not be drawing in the right place!

I am looking for a really fast and (Win8) intuitive way of using AudotCAD2014.

-ne

Message 7 of 10
pendean

While I appreciate your desire, and understand it, AutoCAD currently doesn't work like that.
Message 8 of 10
nedwards9820

If AutoDead can't implement a proper Windows 8 interface then I'll see if DraftSight can.

I seriously need this interface so I can work quickly and seamlessly between Win8 applications.

- Ne

Message 9 of 10
pendean

Whatever works for you is what you need to use: no need to wait on anyone else to make it happen. I love this freedom to choose what's best for me (and for you), don't you?
Message 10 of 10
nedwards9820

And I'd be perfectly happy to implement this in AutoLisp myself -- if only I could get and answer to my question which is whether the API understands the difference between pen touch and finger touch.

That's what is so great about forums: you get technical help that can save you wasting your time. Or just technical hel.

- Ne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost