Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SKETCH command results in zero length lines NEAR the sketch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
doni49
404 Views, 7 Replies

Using SKETCH command results in zero length lines NEAR the sketch

I first noticed this issue in 2012.  I decided to see if I could reproduce it in 2014 and it did.

I have OOTB Acad 2014 intalled (no customizations to ANYTHING yet).

1. I started a NEW dwg file using the OOTB template.
  2. Start the SKETCH command.
  3. Set TYPE to Polyline and INCREMENT to 0.001.
  4. Sketch out a random polyline.
  5. Save/close the dwg file.
  6. Reopen the dwg file.
  7. There is a zero length line near the starting point of my sketch.

This zero length line appears with every sketch I create but only after I save & reopen the dwg file.  I routinely use this command to draw things like existing ground for a detail -- because I want something that looks random.  There are many times that I'll create a sketch and because I don't like how it turned out, I'll delete it and try again -- sometimes I'll have 3-4 version.  So the next time I reopen the file, I might have 4 of these zero length lines.  All too often, they're white which in our system plots heavier than anything else so they stick out like a sore thumb.

I've attached the 2014 dwg file that I performed this test in.  After creating the sketch, I changed it to RED.  When I reopened the file, the zero length line appeared and I drew a green circle around it to draw attention to it.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this issue?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: doni49

Why would you use such a small increment?  The best practice is to set the largest tolerable snap increment. Would the same thing happen if you used a 0.1 increment?  I don't mind testing but would never use such a small increment.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 8
doni49
in reply to: dbroad

The details I was working on were small scale and I was getting jagged poly lines. I kept trying smaller increments until I found one that gave me a polyline I liked.

No I haven't tested other increments against this issue yet. I was just trying document the exact steps I take when drawing my sketch.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
doni49

@doni49 wrote:
The details I was working on were small scale and I was getting jagged poly lines. I kept trying smaller increments until I found one that gave me a polyline I liked.

No I haven't tested other increments against this issue yet. I was just trying document the exact steps I take when drawing my sketch.

I just now had a few min to spare and tried it in both 2012 & 2014 using an increment of 0.1.  Same results in both files -- zero length lines near the start of the sketch.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 8
doni49

Well I don't believe it's related to the increment.

After my last reply, I tried it once more in the 2014 file with an increment of 10 (yes -- TEN).  When I closed and reopened my file, I had a zero length line near the starting point.

The 2014 file is attached again.

There are two red polylines in it now.  The smaller one is from my previous test (increment = 0.1) and the larger one is from this test (increment = 10).

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 8
doni49

I had previously opened a support ticket about this.

The tech had been unable to reproduce the issue.

I just got the following reply.

SketchIssue.png

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 8
dbroad

Thanks for the followup.  I could not repeat your issue with 2014 until I closed and opened it again.  Interesting and disappointing.  Thanks for reporting it.   I think I would just delete the additional zero length polylines.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 8 of 8
doni49
in reply to: dbroad

There were no zero length segments (as best I could tell) so overkill wouldn't help. The issue is that upon reopening the file, there is a completely separate line (or maybe polyline - - I'm not sure now) near the start of the sketched polyline.

The support rep indicated that he was able to reproduce the issue in 2014 and has logged it with the development team.

The work-around is to sketch using lines. The pedit/join them to create one polyline.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost