AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
lovecraft
Message 1 of 28 (253 Views)

Using Fields

253 Views, 27 Replies
11-29-2012 12:46 PM

I would imagine that many of you out there have had at least some experience with FIELDS, since they've been around since, I believe, 2005, correct?

I'm getting some behavior that I cannot account for.  What I have is a block with attributes containing fields.  This was designed to display the location of the file on our server, the last time plotted, the page setup, the last person who saved the file, the file size and the last time saved.  The only piece of the puzzle I'm having trouble with is the last plot time field.  No matter what I try, I cannot get it to update reliably EXCEPT in the block's own source file.  There it seems to update perfectly without even having to REGEN or run UPDATEFIELD.

What I would like to be able to do is insert this block into any drawing I have open from Design Center, and I've been able to do this with all of the FIELDS updating reliably except the one indicating PLOT TIME.  The last couple attempts at inserting the block through Design Center have resulted in the PLOT TIME attribute field updating the first time after a REGEN and then failing to do so during each subsequent attempt.  Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 28 (243 Views)

Re: Using Fields

11-29-2012 02:23 PM in reply to: lovecraft

First, what is your FIELDEVAL setting?

Next, just to clarify, is the plot time FIELD part of an ATTRIBUTE definition in the block, or is it in a piece of MTEXT in the block?

I have a scenario that I think is similar to what you describe, but I have no trouble with the plot time field updating.  (In my case, the field is not in an attribute.)

If it is in an attribute, does it have to be?  Can it be in mtext instead?

Also, just to clarify, are you actually plottting the drawing after inserting the block with the field?

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 3 of 28 (236 Views)

11-29-2012 02:59 PM in reply to: lovecraft

Does updatefield update it?

If not, is the file saved after plotting?  In order to save the updated plot time, the file needs to be saved after the plot.

lovecraft
Message 4 of 28 (223 Views)

11-30-2012 04:46 AM in reply to: dbroad

Thanks for replying, dmfrazier and dmbroad.  FIELDEVAL is set to 31 (combination of all values added together).  I definitely will try substituting MTEXT, since there really is no need for this part of the block to be an attribute (although I do find it puzzling that all the other fields within attributes update every time without fail).  I'll post my results later if successful as others may be curious about this behavior.  I am plotting the drawing every time to test for updating and UPDATEFIELD does not work (nor does REGEN) on this particular field.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 5 of 28 (220 Views)

11-30-2012 05:02 AM in reply to: lovecraft

Another thought: ATTSYNC?

lovecraft
Message 6 of 28 (218 Views)

11-30-2012 05:09 AM in reply to: lovecraft

Thanks again, dmfrazier.  No, ATTSYNC has no effect, and after trying to substitute an MTEXT object containing the field for the attribute with same I'm still getting no satisfaction.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 7 of 28 (214 Views)

11-30-2012 05:22 AM in reply to: lovecraft

And one (probably last) thought: check to see that the ATTDEF isn't set to Preset.

lovecraft
Message 8 of 28 (212 Views)

11-30-2012 05:28 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

dmfrazier, that may work, and I certainly will try it (by now reverting back to an attribute containing the field instead of the MTEXT object I am now using)  BUT, all of the instructions I've read so far about creating this type of attribute (containing a field) specifically say to make it a PRESET attribute.  I'll try what you suggest anyway.  Thanks again.

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 9 of 28 (208 Views)

11-30-2012 05:32 AM in reply to: lovecraft

I may have missed your answer but, again, are you saving after plotting?  I do not believe the field will update unless the drawing is saved.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 10 of 28 (206 Views)

11-30-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: lovecraft

Curious that Preset is "preferred".  In my case, it works either way.

Have you installed SP1? (I have not.)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube