Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undoctrl

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
AllenJessup
700 Views, 10 Replies

Undoctrl

I encountered something interesting this morning. I had been turning Undo off and on to track performance while working with a Point Cloud. With Undo off it was much faster.

So this morning I decided to check what it currently was. Undoctrl gave me 53 the first time. I new that wasn't what it was normally set to. I opened the System Variables Editor to see which options added up to 53. When I opened the dialog it reported that Undoctrl was set to 61. So I exited the System Variables Editor and tried Undoctrl from the command line again. This time it yielded 61.

Opening the System Variables Editor shouldn't change any variables if I did't edit it. So I'm just wondering what might be going on.

This is my command history;

Command: UNDOCTL
UNDOCTL = 53 (read only)
Command:
Command:
Command: _.sysvdlg
Command: UNDOCTL
UNDOCTL = 61 (read only)

Allen Jessup

IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T3610, Xeon CPU 3.70 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000
Samsung SSD 512GB
HGST (WD) 512GB drive

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen

Svsvdlg does not change undoctl here (AutoCAD 2014)

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: dbroad

It shouldn't in any version. I don't know why it changed from 53 to 61. At least it changed to what I want it set at. Only sysvars changing for no apparent reason makes me nervous.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
dmfrazier
Message 5 of 11
bryce.thelin

Are you able to repeat the change? SYSVDLG is not doing anything to UNDOCTRL on my system either. The 61 value it shows is incorrect. The Express Tool doesn't have the right value coded into it. The Help file is correct with 53.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 6 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: bryce.thelin

Yes. Actually. I've checked a couple of times. When I open a drawing and check Undoctrl it's set at 53. Then I check it with the SYSVDLG and see it's 61. After closing the dialog Undoctrl yields 61. I'll check a few more things when I get a chance.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
AllenJessup

OK. I opened a drawing I hadn't done any work in for a while. Undoctrl yields 53 at open. I created a few entities, moved them and then erased them. Undoctrl was still 53. I opened the SYSVDLG and it showed 61. I canceled out of the SYSVDLG and then Undoctrl is set to 61. Weird. I had thought it might change when there was something to Undo, but that's not the case.

I checked my acaddoc.lsp but there isn't anything in there that would affect it.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
bryce.thelin

I've tested three different computers and cannot reproduce what you are experiencing. I suppose the simplest solution would be to not go into SYSVDLG. Smiley Wink To ultimately fix the problem, I would first try uninstalling and reinstalling Express Tools, then reset AutoCAD to defaults, and then uninstall and reinstall AutoCAD.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 9 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: bryce.thelin

@bryce.thelin wrote:

I suppose the simplest solution would be to not go into SYSVDLG.

Actually I'd do the opposite since I want it set to 61. It looks like the difference between 53 and 61 is "A group is currently active" with a value of 8 [ Yes 61-53 is 8 but you have to check]. I've tried creating and destroying groups but that doesn't seem to change anything. I can't find an explanation of what "A group is currently active" means.

I'll probably wait until I decide whether to install 2015 any time soon before reinstalling 2014.

Thanks for the help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
dmfrazier

"I've tried creating and destroying groups but that doesn't seem to change anything. I can't find an explanation of what "A group is currently active" means."

I think this does not refer to a group of AutoCAD objects, but to an "undo group", a set of previous actions that have been grouped by the BEgin and End options of Undo:

Command: UNDO
Current settings: Auto = On, Control = All, Combine = Yes, Layer = Yes
Enter the number of operations to undo or [Auto/Control/BEgin/End/Mark/Back] <1>:

Maybe check what "Current settings" reports before and after running SysVDlg and see if there is a clue there.

Another thing to check: do you get different results when you open a DWG while AutoCAD is already running (with or without a DWG open in the editor) versus launching AutoCAD with a DWG (as in double-clicking a file in Explorer)?

Message 11 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: dmfrazier

I haven't found any clue. Since it isn't affecting any work I'm not going to worry about in any more. Until it jumps up and bites me on something that is.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost