Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo disabled due to file size

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
620 Views, 7 Replies

Undo disabled due to file size

My undo command keeps getting disabled. The bigger the dwg size the faster I get this message(see pic below). This strated for us on 2013 and remains in 2014.

I changed the save location for "Temp dwg files". The idea was to keep minimum files in this location.

The file higlighted in the picture is the problem. AutoCad is not rewriting this file as in the past.

Is this a programming issue?

Autodesk was contacted thourgh my sales rep, with no resolve.

undo error2.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

My undo command keeps getting disabled. The bigger the dwg size the faster I get this message.....

Do you periodically dump the Undo information when you've gotten to a reasonable place where you feel sure you won't need to back up, and Saved the drawing?  UNDO command, Control option, None option to get rid of what it has kept track of so far [the key to reducing the file size], then UNDO, Control option, All option to have it start keeping track again.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 8
pendean

System details? OS looks to be Win7 (64bit I hope), but how about RAM, free HD space on your primary C drive etc.
is your Windows Log-in credentials limitng you to 2 Gig? a common 'quota' limit in some corporations in user temp folders.
And how long do you go between manual saves?
How long do you keep your file open in a day to trigger this limit?
Message 4 of 8
braudpat

Hello from France

As far as I know, the maximum file size of the undo file is 2 Gb

and ACAD (for security) purpose disable the undo feature at 1.75 Gb (as you have seen) ...

Which size for your main DWG ?

Which OS ?

32 or 64 bits ?

How much Ram on your PC ?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Win 7 pro, 64bit, 4gb ram.

I have had it happen in 30mins while working on a 10mb dwg. Keep in mind on r2012 had none of these issues.

Message 6 of 8
nrz13

There is a known problem with AutoCAD 2015 using onboard graphics cards over dedicated ones.  If that is the case for you, the difference between 2012 and 2015 may be that your onboard graphics is using up a good chunk of what little memory you have left over.  4GB is not very much RAM these days. 

You can test this theory by going to OPTIONS > System tab > Graphics Performance button and seeing if the video card being recognized is your dedicated card or the onboard graphics.  If it is using your onboard graphics, you'll probably have to disable them in your BIOS so AutoCAD can see your dedicated card.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

The "view tune log" is showing my card. There was no change after I updated the video card driver.

Message 8 of 8
nrz13

Well, it was a guess, but it appears to not be the case if GRAPHICSCONFIG is showing your dedicated card in use.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost