AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 21 of 32 (1,619 Views)

Re: Unable to save AutoCAD Files

12-26-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: mohan_s
Since I cannot repeat, win7 64bit, it is very much unique to your login in Windows or "something" else.
Try another Windows Administrator log-in;
Or
Find the ACADLT.EXE file, select it, right-click and I believe you have the option to run AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 22 of 32 (1,614 Views)

12-26-2012 10:43 AM in reply to: enerfab

Hi,

>> If I create a new file ( I am the author) then only I should have complete rights to save the work.

That sounds like the folder (where you save to) has special permissions, not the default ones for standard user, could it be that you removed delete-permissions (or any other like create/modify/...)?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 23 of 32 (1,611 Views)

12-26-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: enerfab

Still sounds like latency to me.  Are you saving over the network?  Can you save the file locally?  If you can save to your C:\ drive, then move it to your network folder, then the problem is latency.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
gusk
Message 24 of 32 (1,598 Views)

12-26-2012 04:10 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Ok - so I did some more homework on this.  

Earlier yesterday I was attempting to open and then save a drawing using Autocad LT 2013 (for MAC) from home trying to resolve an issue an employee was having when connecting remotely from her mac.  Again, no issue with connecting to the server remotely using other programs from the mac.  yes - I can open files remotely (provided I agree to open the file read-only).  yes, I can open the file locally, edit it, save it locally, then move it to the server.  and yes, I have administrative rights on the server and the computer I'm working from.

To further explore this, I installed Autocad LT 2013 (32 bit) on the SAME MAC, using Windows 7 thru Parallels.  After establishing access to the server using netdrive via webdav, I was able to open the cad file on the server (NO read-only), edit it and then save it back on the server without any problem.  

So I have no problem with the server, no problem with Autocad LT 2013 (32 bit) and no problem with the mac (provided I use any other software other than Autocad LT 2013 (MAC).  Not sure how latency is a factor here.  To me anyway, there seems to be a bigger issue with the mac version of Autocad LT 2013 since it should work otherwise.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 25 of 32 (1,584 Views)

12-26-2012 07:06 PM in reply to: gusk

Hi,

>> there seems to be a bigger issue with the mac version of Autocad LT 2013

And therefore this forum >>>AutoCAD for Mac<<< might be the better forum for your question.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Valued Contributor
enerfab
Message 26 of 32 (1,575 Views)

12-27-2012 02:10 AM in reply to: pendean

Travis, I have to agree with you on latency.  As I said in my first response to this thread dated 11/1/12 this problem is "sporadic".  We never know if or when the problem will happen, and to whom.  If everyone has no issues the first day, but one person experiences the problem the second day, then I have to say this doesn't involve admin rights at the network and/or the pc.

The last known documentation by Autodesk is during AutoCAD 2008 days.  My IT Dept. feels this is a 2008 problem, and will not get serious about helping solve the problem.  Their non-expert response is "stop opening read-only files".

One last note,  I am the CAD Mgr. and I have admin rights to every pc in the Eng. Dept.  I also confirmed I have admin rights on the network where our cad files are stored.

Distinguished Contributor
GegH1
Message 27 of 32 (1,569 Views)

12-27-2012 03:03 AM in reply to: enerfab

I think this is a latency issue as well, but not neccesarily to do with the network. It happens to me not only with the issue of a slow network every now and then or a dodgy virus protection moment, but i have also found that if my temp folder is full of rubbish autocad gets confused, it can't bring backup and temp files into line quick enough.

I've also noticed that it is sometimes incredibly slow to open files, especially if they have xrefs, as it copies the files to the temp location and opens them from there (check out where autocad is opening files from on the bottom info bar, C:/User/Temp/.....). This sometimes causes CAD to run so slow it thinks its crashed.

As soon as i clear the temp folder all is fine.

It can happen when saving files if i manually save quickly after an auto save. It actually deletes the file but doesn't manage to do the second bit which is saving the backup/temp file in the originals place.

As far as i can tell the save process is:-

Remove lock file

Remove Original file

Save backup with original name to original location

Reinstate Lock file

If for some reason things are slow the lock file is reinstated befor the backup is saved, autocad thinks the original can't be overwritten and saves a tmp file in its place.

This may be an over simplification and i'm sure someone will have a better idea of the process but it may give the discussion a few more clues.

This is happening to my version of full AutoCAD 2013 on Win 7 Pro 64bit, full admin rights and working locally.

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 7 Pro 64bit, Dell Precision M6500
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 28 of 32 (1,564 Views)

12-27-2012 05:29 AM in reply to: mohan_s
Why did you not share with everyone that you were on a MAC in your first post?
When was LT2010 native to MAC OS?
Why do you not fully share background information at the first posting? Do you realize how incredibly rude that is? Not to mention a waste of your time trying to find a fix?
Is the real problem that under Win7 there is no issue (lt2013 and lt2010 I suspect)?
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
gusk
Message 29 of 32 (1,556 Views)

12-27-2012 05:46 AM in reply to: pendean

My apologies Dean.  

I thought my problem was much bigger (especially since I seemed to be experiencing the same problem as others in the same topic) until I later installed the windows version and confirmed the 32 bit version did not have the same problem as the mac version after which time I posted the additional information in my second posting regarding the software specifications to further clarify my situation.  Again, I do not seem to be experiencing any problems with windows versions of LT including 2013.  My problem appears to be issolated to the mac version of 2013 only.  

When I first was looking for solutions to my problem, this discussion group came up first and I thought this was the best fit.  I had no clue from the description of the group that mac issues should be posted elsewhere.  The autocad-for-mac group is not an easy one to find unless you know where to look for it.  

Now I know where the autocad-for-mac group is, I will attempt to find a solution there.  

Valued Mentor
jweiss
Message 30 of 32 (1,309 Views)

04-22-2013 07:09 AM in reply to: mohan_s

We having this problem running AutoCAD 2013 SP1 and trying to save R12 dxf files to a network drive.  We can save them local and to other network drive.  We have no issue anywhere with 2013 dxf files or 2013 dwg files.  We can even save a 2013 dxf file and then over write with R12 dxf file and that works.  I've never seen this issue before.

User is running a Dell Precision mobile workstation

Windows 7 x64

16 GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro FX370M graphics card

Any help would be appreciated!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Administrator
Follett Corporation

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube