AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 11 of 32 (1,181 Views)

Re: Unable to save AutoCAD Files

07-10-2012 05:54 AM in reply to: wundrlik

"excessive packet collisions"....?!  

Wow!  did you find Higg's boson in there somewhere in the collision debris field? :smileylol:

I had the same problem as you I think.  Just working away in a drawing, then suddenly it says I'm in read-only.  If you scroll back in the command line, you realise that the last time you hit save it said  "Unable to save..." but if you didn't look at the command line you don't notice until you hit save again and get the dialogue message "Drawing is read-only"

Definatly was something to do with the network.  I vary ocasionally had Excel do the same thing to me, or similar.  And others in the office had the problem too, but I was the star case.  Our IT upgraded something beyond my ken on the network and the problem has been 99% reduced.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Distinguished Contributor
GegH1
Message 12 of 32 (1,134 Views)

09-16-2012 05:33 PM in reply to: troma

I Don't think it's a Network issue. I just upgraded to 2013 from 2011 and having the same issue.

I work completely locally on a Mobile workstation. It says it is unable to save the file then creates a .tmp file instead indicating that it thinks the file is open by another (I'm not on a network). It saves a tmp file so i have no rights issues.

This only happened when loading 2013, the strange thing is that if i now try the same thing in 2011 it now has the same result when it didn't have the problem yesterday.

Another thing, first you use qsave via the menu and you get the message it deletes the original (very dangerous). do save as, same result, type save, it allows you to save as......type save again and you get the message.

This is incredibly annoying

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 7 Pro 64bit, Dell Precision M6500
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 13 of 32 (1,128 Views)

09-17-2012 06:08 AM in reply to: GegH1

Are you using Win7?
Are you saving the file in a subfolder in PROGRAM FILES folder, or My Documents?

Are you logged in Windows as a full Admin, or limited account user?

Did you read RKM's reply about how an AutoCAD save works? You need to figure out why the last step breaks. You provide no additional information in your post to dissect remotely.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
GegH1
Message 14 of 32 (1,114 Views)

09-17-2012 03:15 PM in reply to: troma

Dean,

I'm using windows 7 64bit pro on a dell precision M6500. quad core i7 8gb ram

I am logged in as Administrator on all folders. I had a problem with setting up a test intranet on the laptop 2 years ago, the problem was the level of permissions you actually get when you give yourself administrator privileges, not a great deal as it turns out when it comes to windows 7, so you have to give yourself specific rights to the folders. I did this to all folders whilst i was there.

The folders and files i write to are on a separate partition and i have complete control of those folders as well.

Creative Intentions
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 15 of 32 (1,102 Views)

09-18-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: GegH1

Move and save your files to the same partition as the AutoCAD install, create a top level folder first: this is a test, report findings.

Your issue is at the system level, nothing you can do about it with AutoCAD alone sadly: so you'll have to do a lot of prep work while posting here until someone can replicate the issue and help you solve it.

I would also test by creating a new full admin Windows profile and see if the issue remains.

Just to be clear: when I wrote ADMINISTRATOR I mean full control, no hiccups, no limitations, not "local" limited power user, install/remove anything from anywhere without Windows objecting at all.

PS: ensure Win7's UAC is turned off.

Valued Contributor
enerfab
Message 16 of 32 (1,031 Views)

11-01-2012 06:18 AM in reply to: pendean

I have been experiencing the same issue.  The problem is sporadic on timing and users, but seems to happen often enough to question the problem.  Has anyone looked at the network timing issue?  If the network doesn't unlock the file when you click save then you will receive a read-only message.  Depending on the network speed the problem may resolve itself immediately, or within minutes (30 minutes is our record so far).  At times we even experience the "Not Responding" white screen while having the read-only issue.  I am pointing the finger at our network.

Bruce

GegH1
Message 17 of 32 (1,019 Views)

11-01-2012 03:18 PM in reply to: pendean

It sorted itself when i got CAD installing properly.

It could also be my network card. I fake network drives via 127.0.0.1, this loops through my own network card back to my own hard drive.

It means that i can seperate out different clients work and set up a local copy of their work, so when i map xrefs and the like all links work the same (i know there are other ways before you say anything).

Here's what i've found, if i have IPV6 on then my network drives get blocked by my firewall, essentially they are operating too slowly, i have to stop my firewall regen my network drives and restart my firewall......or only use IPV4 on my network card which doesn't have the problem.

If Autocad is communicating with the networks slowly it can't remove the dwl file prior to saving the dwg. Only a thought...not tested.

Creative Intentions
gusk
Message 18 of 32 (907 Views)

12-25-2012 07:04 PM in reply to: pendean

I have been using autocad lt 2010 for years and have been successful remotely connecting to my server via WebDAV then opening and saving files without an issue.  No problems using other Non-autocad software as well. 

I just installed a trial of autocad lt 2013 and having the same issue as the others where I have permission and read-write issues which prevents me from being able to save directly to the server. I have full administrator access rights to the server so that is not the issue. I can save files locally and then move to the server but then it is not ideal. What am I missing?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 19 of 32 (898 Views)

12-26-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: mohan_s
Was 2013 installed using your full admin windows account?
Are you running 2013 as administrator?
Valued Contributor
enerfab
Message 20 of 32 (892 Views)

12-26-2012 06:30 AM in reply to: troma

I'm lost Dean.  Please explain how running as an administrator controls whether I can save or not.  We are talking read versus read/write access.

If I create a new file ( I am the author) then only I should have complete rights to save the work.  I know nobody else has the drawing opened.  I click save and AutoCAD tells me the file is read only.  Nobody else has it opened.  This is not a level of control in AutoCAD unless Autodesk added new code.  I have experienced this on 2011.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube