AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Pochuck
Message 1 of 7 (1,373 Views)

Unable to directly copy/paste into Word/Office

1373 Views, 6 Replies
09-07-2012 09:11 AM

I recently upgraded from Autocad 2012 Mechanical.  Previously, I was able to simply select objects in AC, ctrl-c them, then paste them into Word.  I am now using 2013 Product Design Suite, with the Vault addin for word.  I am now unable to do this.  What I notice is that when I switch to my Word window and paste, there's some unknown process occurring in Autocad.  Furthermore, what should be an image box with my drawing in Word is a blank box.  

Has anyone else experienced this problem with upgrading to 2013?  I'm hoping there's a solution that's just as easy as it was with 2012.  I do this several dozen times an hour, so it's not very time-efficient to export files to .bmp, .png, etc and then load them into word; I'd like to do this with a simple copy/paste.

AutoCAD:  2013 Product Design Suite, using 2013 Mechanical.

Word:  2007, Service Pack 2.

Pochuck
Message 2 of 7 (1,364 Views)

Re: Unable to directly copy/paste into Word/Office

09-07-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: Pochuck

Some additional information, I've noticed a warning when I do this: "SketchBook Designer data can only be saved in DWG file format and will be omitted from other file types".  I suspect this may be the culprit. 

As far as the extra process in Autocad, it looks like it's actually trying to imbed the file into word, not just the image.  I have to edit the image, which swaps me back to Autocad so I can do a zoom extents, save, THEN it appears in word.  However, not all layers appear even though the layer manager shows them as being plotted.  It also looks like it hates blocks, they're not showing up either.

This problem has stumped even my reseller.  They've been unable to find a solution so far.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 7 (1,332 Views)

09-10-2012 06:02 AM in reply to: Pochuck

With no Sketchbook Designer installed here (and plain AutoCAD where you are posting, not MECH), we have no issues doing what you seek. But we also use MSOffice 2010.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Pochuck
Message 4 of 7 (1,315 Views)

09-10-2012 04:12 PM in reply to: Pochuck

In that case, is there any way to disable Designer without simply deleting it?  I may need it again in the future, and I have zero luck finding instructions on doing so.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 5 of 7 (1,293 Views)

09-11-2012 05:50 PM in reply to: Pochuck
Instead of copy paste, does the Windows 7 snip tool help?
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
dredstimpson
Message 6 of 7 (327 Views)

12-06-2013 04:55 AM in reply to: mathewk
I've tried the snip tool, but then the ACAD in Word in not embedded as an ACAD drawing
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 7 (322 Views)

12-06-2013 05:14 AM in reply to: Pochuck
Embedding doesn't work if you take a status snapshot of your screen.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube