Did you mean: 

Un-purge-able Dimension Style

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
dmfrazier
3736 Views, 24 Replies

Un-purge-able Dimension Style

I have attached a simple dwg file with two dimension styles in it.  The current style ("standard") is also the default, so it obviously cannot be purged.  The other one ("PULL_X"), which is clearly not current, is also not used by anything in the drawing (as far as I can tell), yet it won't purge.

Can anyone tell me why it cannot be purged?

Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: dmfrazier

Hi,

>> I have attached a simple dwg file

Nothing attached, sorry!

If it's a help (at least where I would start): if you are a little bit familiar with DXF syntax then save your drawing as DXF and search for the textstyle, look for it's handle and see if either the dimensionstyle-name or that handle is used anywhere else in the file.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 25
dmfrazier
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Yes, I realize there was no attachment, but it was not for lack of trying!  I think I made all the right moves, and more than once, but to no avail.  Disappointing....

In any case, I appreciate your suggestion and will give it a shot.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 25
dmfrazier

I did as Alfred suggested.

The DimStyle section of the DXF file contains a reference to the "PULL_X" dimstyle.  I cannot see a group code that indicates its "handle".  I can see that the group code 70 is set to zero, which I believe indicates the dimstyle is not used in the drawing.  I find no other references to the dimstyle name in the DXF file.

Message 5 of 25
pendean

ZIP works well on this site and more consistently.

A 3rd party freeware called SUPERPURGE (not free) is the only truly capable tool out there to truly purge content in a DWG file (beware, it's more powerful that most users expect):
www.manusoft.com/software/superpurge.html

Everytrhing thing else suggested is a cumbersome antiquated waste of time when all is said and done: I mean really, DXFout, edit lines of code, hope you did not mess up, DXFIN back and hope you never need the original? Wow!

PS: I have no financial or other interests with that product or the company or company owner. Try before you buy.

Message 6 of 25
dmfrazier
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

ZIP works well on this site and more consistently.

I tried attaching the file as a DWG and as a ZIP.  Neither worked.  I have no clue as to why the attach feature did not function as I expected it to.

A 3rd party freeware called SUPERPURGE (not free) is the only truly capable tool out there to truly purge content in a DWG file (beware, it's more powerful that most users expect):
www.manusoft.com/software/superpurge.html

"Freeware" that's not free?  Hmmm.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I suspect it will not suit my needs, as it would be necessary to incorporate its functionality into some existing automation.  But I will look into it.

Everytrhing thing else suggested is a cumbersome antiquated waste of time when all is said and done: I mean really, DXFout, edit lines of code, hope you did not mess up, DXFIN back and hope you never need the original? Wow!

This strikes me as a rather unnecessary and irresponsible comment.  No one (as far as I can see) suggested editing the DXF and bringing it back in.  And saving the DWG file to DXF preserves the original.  No harm, no foul.

PS: I have no financial or other interests with that product or the company or company owner. Try before you buy.

Thanks for clearing that up.Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 25
TerryDotson

I tried attaching the file as a DWG and as a ZIP. Neither worked.

It's likely you are using the very popular MS Internet Explorer.  I have experienced the same problem here.  When I tried attaching a DWG (created with AutoCAD of course) it told me the file contents didn't match the extension.  Attempted to attach a ZIP and it simply doesn't show up.  If you really want to post the file, try using Firefox or another browser.

Message 8 of 25
dbroad

Dean,

The OP asked "why?".  Alfred demonstrated a simple approach to figuring that out.  He did not suggest the OP edit the DXF file or to reimport it, so where did the following quote come from?

"Everytrhing thing else suggested is a cumbersome antiquated waste of time when all is said and done: I mean really, DXFout, edit lines of code, hope you did not mess up, DXFIN back and hope you never need the original? Wow!"

Let your own suggestions (which are usually good) stand without bashing others attempts to help.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 9 of 25
dmfrazier
in reply to: TerryDotson

Yes, I am a die hard IE user, and I have apparently reached that age where I find it hard to adjust to doing things differently (unless I'm given a good enough reason).  I don't attach files often, but when I need to, it sure would be nice if it would work.

Thanks for the advice (and the sympathy).

Message 10 of 25
dmfrazier

SuperPurge (using the "Hard" option) is unable to purge the problem DimStyle.

Let's just say, for discussion's sake, that the un-purge-able dimstyle was originally the default dimstyle named "Standard" , re-named.  Could it be that AutoCAD somehow retains a "memory" of the fact that it was once that dimstyle?

Does that make any sense, or ring any bells?

Message 11 of 25
nestly2

@dmfrazier wrote:

Let's just say, for discussion's sake, that the un-purge-able dimstyle was originally the default dimstyle named "Standard" , re-named.  Could it be that AutoCAD somehow retains a "memory" of the fact that it was once that dimstyle?

Seems plausible, However "Standard" dimstyle can be purged from the acad.dwt as long as another dimstyle exists and "standard" is renamed to something else.  On the other hand, I just made several copies of "Standard" saved the acad.dwt as a "test.dwg", then when re-opened,  two of the dimstyles that are unrefference can no longer be purged.

Perhaps WBLOCK the drawing to clean it up?

Message 12 of 25
pendean

LOL< I meant 'soft' -ware.

WBLOCK may well help: but sometimes you need to remove all things associated within the dimstyle: ensure no custom in-use block is being used for the arrow (pick none), no unqiue STYLE is being used (you can use SUPERPURGE to get rid of these items), draw a dim based on this dimstyle then erase it, create another dimstyle and ensure it is the active one then assign any/all dim objects to it with Properties/Qselect and so on.

As a last resort, call it a dimstyle you need and use it, delete the others (or create a template file with this name in use, then INSERT your problem file in it).

Message 13 of 25
pendean
in reply to: dbroad

No bashing intended, just caught up in the moment.
Message 14 of 25
dmfrazier
in reply to: nestly2

@nestly wrote:
Seems plausible, However "Standard" dimstyle can be purged from the acad.dwt as long as another dimstyle exists and "standard" is renamed to something else.  On the other hand, I just made several copies of "Standard" saved the acad.dwt as a "test.dwg", then when re-opened,  two of the dimstyles that are unrefference can no longer be purged.

Perhaps WBLOCK the drawing to clean it up?

Thanks for your comments.

Something screwy is definitely going on here.

Unfortunately I really cannot employ the WBlock method.  The inability to purge the DimStyle is presenting itself in the midst of an automated (AutoLISP) routine, and WBlock won't fit into the process without completely changing it.  The process involves opening an "empty" dwg, inserting a dwg, fiddling with it, printing it, and then cleaning everything out (including several purges) for the next dwg, and so on.  The purging is to avoid duplicate definition issues.

The process has been running fine for years, but recently there are "certain" dwgs which during clean out will not let the DimStyle be purged, and the process stops.

The only thing I've been able to identify (since my OP) that is different about these "certain" dwgs is that they cause AutoCAD to load some "AEC" stuff when they are opened, which I understand indicates that there are AEC objects in the dwg.  It might be possible to root out the source of these and maybe eliminate them, but, even if I do, I'd much prefer to make my program impervious to them instead, because I may not be able to prevent these dwgs from happening again.

Message 15 of 25
dmfrazier

The workaround is to set DEMANDLOAD = 0 or 2 to prevent the AEC objects in the dwg from demand-loading the AEC apps.

Thanks for the help.

Message 16 of 25
pendean

That variable setting can affect some Express Tools (you'll need to go back to 3 when they fail for no reason).
Message 17 of 25
dmfrazier

Fortunately, this process runs in an isolated environment, so inability to run Express Tools won't be an issue.

But, thanks for the heads-up.

Message 18 of 25
TerryDotson

Can you email me the DWG (or a small portion of it to reproduce the problem) to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.  I'm always looking to improve our purge and if I find what's locking it down I'll let you know.

Message 19 of 25
TerryDotson

The dictionary AEC_DISPLAY_PROPS_DEFAULTS has it locked down.  Delete that first and even the AutoCAD Purge will allow the DimStyles removal.

Message 20 of 25
dmfrazier
in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks for your efforts.  (That was quick.)

Deleting a dictionary is not in my standard repertoire.  Is there a command-line or LISP way to do this - something I could insert into the process before the purging?

Are there any potential pitfalls to deleting a dictionary?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost