Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - UNDO - stop saving my zooms and pans

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
j.comeau
5068 Views, 62 Replies

AutoCAD - UNDO - stop saving my zooms and pans

I use my mouse to zoom and pan at the same time via the scroll wheel.  Some who see me do this think it's strange, but it's fast.  The problem is that UNDO saves every pan and zoom move I make, so that UNDO'ing anything is a chore.  Is there a way to make UNDO only save the actual work that is being done in the drawing ... not my navigating.

many thanks

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: UNDO - stop saving my zooms and pans ]

62 REPLIES 62
Message 2 of 63
nrz13
in reply to: j.comeau

j.comeau:

Have you tried going to OPTIONS > User Preferences tab > Undo/Redo Section and ticking "Combine zoom and pan commands"?

If I'm understanding you correctly, that should resolve your problem.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 63
j.comeau
in reply to: nrz13

I'm not sure unchecking that box will help. I think it will do the opposite and force me to undo through "every" individual pan/zoom rather than groups of pan/zooms. I don't want the UNDO command to track my panning and zooming at all.  It's senseless for it to track navigation.  Agree?  I can see no good reasoning for it. I am looking for the button that says "do not keep track pan/zooms for UNDO command.

Or something like that .....

thanks!

Message 4 of 63
nrz13

j.comeau:

No, you don't want to untick that box.  I was thinking that it was unticked for you and that ticking it would do what you wanted.

I can't say I know of a way to get the behavior you want.  The most useful part of AutoCAD undoing your zoom steps is that it will take you back to the thing you want to undo.  If you just undid a command without undoing your zoom/pan as well, you could be making changes without seeing them.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 63
Kent1Cooper

This has come up before.  Put something like UNDO PAN ZOOM into the Search window, and you'll find several threads raising the same question.  I haven't dug into them to see whether anyone came up with a workaround -- I'll leave that to you -- but you can at least see what others have suggested, or whether maybe no one has found a way to do what you want.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 63
dgorsman

Zooming and panning *is* doing something to the drawing - not all operations involve graphic entities.  Undo covers all operations, otherwise going back may put the drawing in a different state than what it actually was.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 63
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: dgorsman

I want to provide the feedback link here. For any that would like to see a change in functionality of the UNDO command, please take a moment to post the suggestion to this page to help push for a change in functionality:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Shawn Niles
Message 8 of 63
j.comeau

I just posted the suggestion.  THank you

Message 9 of 63
mcdworks
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

I posted a comment as well.  Very frustrating.  If I want to undo my zooms, I can do that with the zoom comand and select the previous view.  Why would it store that info in two different threads?  I zoom in and out and pan all the time, while navigating across very large model spaces with very slight flicks of the wrist.  I also have a mouse that I can further scale these actions with a button on the side.  This becomes a problem when undoing a series of actions and then having the command list re-set when I zoom out to see what I have undone overall.  If I have gone too far back, I am then unable to go forwards and take advantage of the redo command.

Message 10 of 63
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: mcdworks

@mcdworks wrote:

....  If I want to undo my zooms, I can do that with the zoom comand and select the previous view.  Why would it store that info in two different threads?  ....

There are two differences I can think of between those two "threads":

1)  Zoom Previous saves only the last 10 Zooms/Pans, and then you get "No previous view saved,"  whereas U will back up through any number of them [unless you have dumped the Undo history].

2)  Zoom Previous works even if you've done work since you came to the current view condition, without undoing any of that work, whereas in that situation, using U to back out of recent Zooms/Pans has to go through undoing that work on the way there.

I don't think Post 3 here should be talking about un-checking the "Combine zoom and pan commands" choice in Options [in new-enough versions] as discussed in Post 2.  Have you tried having that checked?  Read about the UNDOCTL System Variable and the 16 bit in its value [for AutoCAD 2016, here].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 63
j.comeau
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

The link you provided does not appear to be functional.

Message 12 of 63

Please everyone vote for the ZOOM/PAN improvement to be added in future releases:

https://www.augi.com/wish-list/rank/autocad/463137

And share the link to every user you know!

Message 13 of 63
RobDraw

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the drop down list on the UNDO button in the quick access toolbar?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 14 of 63

You are right, it should be improved as well. It's such a tiny list that it's pretty unusable. It scrolls too fast (as any short menu window does when the list is very long). You can't recognize the command you gave by the generic terms in the list.

Message 15 of 63

I learned a ling time ago that if I have to undo that many times where the target is hard to find, I'm doing something wrong.

Rob

Message 16 of 63

Thank you for voting! The request has reached the Top 30!

Now please everyone vote inside the Top 30 in order to have the issue corrected in future releases:
https://www.augi.com/wish-list/vote/autocad
Message 17 of 63
joshd.hafel
in reply to: nrz13

I know that this forum is old, but I was wondering if this feature was added in the newer versions of CAD. I get that taking you back to the area you changed could be useful, but for me it ends up being a big issue. I will undo something and accidentally zoom (or sometimes purposely to see the entire thing) and now I am unable to redo any changes! Little issues like this make AutoCAD the one program in my studio almost a chore to work with

Message 18 of 63

I have AutoCAD LT 2017 and the issue is still there.

Please vote in order to change this:

First here: https://www.augi.com/wish-list/rank/autocad/463137

and then here: https://www.augi.com/wish-list/vote/autocad

Message 19 of 63
rculp
in reply to: gregorio.grasselli

no don't vote for it, its a bad idea.  Its a bad idea, a VERY bad idea, to undo actions that are not visible on the screen.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 20 of 63
RobDraw
in reply to: rculp

I don't see a big deal either way. AutoCAD does it, Revit doesn't. I can undo quite well in either.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost