Did you mean: 

UI for setting the global tolerance in a drawing in AutoCAD

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Chris.Murphy
739 Views, 8 Replies

UI for setting the global tolerance in a drawing in AutoCAD

Does anyone know if there is a way in the UI to set/get the global tolerance used in AutoCAD? I am trying to determine if the tolerance affects the results of certain operations performed in AutoCAD drawings.

Thanks.

-Chris

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Are you looking for the UNITS command?

Message 3 of 9

That only seems to affect the display precision. The global tolerance is more of a "behind the scenes" setting used in various operations. 

Message 4 of 9

I don't believe there is a way to adjust AutoCAD's global calculation percision.

Is there a specific issue your are having?

Message 5 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: Chris.Murphy

Tolerance for what, precisely?  Display in dimenions?  Could you provide a concrete example?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9

Nothing specific. I have a template drawing in my project that I use as a base for other drawings. What I have noticed is that drawings that are created from the template behave differently than drawings created from scratch. With a bit of investigation I found that the reported global tolerance is different depending on which of the 2 methods used to create a drawing. This got me wondering if there was some way to set up a template so that it imposes a tolerance upon the system. It seems kind of odd that a drawing property could affect something like the global tolerance but I thought I would ask.

Message 7 of 9
Chris.Murphy
in reply to: dgorsman

It's difficult to come up with a concrete example but I'll see what I can do. 

This has nothing to do with the display precision. The global tolerance is used in AutoCAD as a way to determine if (say) 2 points are coincidental, or 2 lines are parallel. The global default tolerance defines the maximum distance within which the system accepts the input values as being the same. Certain operations will fail or behave differently with identical geometry because the tolerance is more relaxed. I'm just trying to determine how and when this tolerance value changes in my project. 

Message 8 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: Chris.Murphy

You keep saying 'global tolerance' --   AFAIK there's no such beast in Acad, other than the constrainsts imposed by doing floating point arithmetic on a computer.

What and where are you seeing a value that is labeled 'global tolerance'?

Message 9 of 9
Chris.Murphy
in reply to: jggerth1

I think I have to accept what you and Jason.Piercey have stated - there is no way to set the tolerance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost