AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
georgie
Message 1 of 12 (5,489 Views)

Trouble with UCS- Rotating around the z axis

5489 Views, 11 Replies
04-03-2012 08:38 PM

I frequently rotate my drawings around the Z axis however when trying to do this in 2013 it only appears to let me rotate at 0,0,0 rather than clicking on 2 points in the drawing to reference the angle at which I wish to rotate to........ Im not sure if this function has changed completely or is there something I need to set to still allow me to do this? Anyone got any ideas?

Mentor
David_Knight
Message 2 of 12 (5,457 Views)

Re: Trouble with UCS- Rotating around the z axis

04-05-2012 08:11 AM in reply to: georgie

I found that you no longer can type

UCS

N

Z

and then pick points.   instead just type

UCS

pick your new 0,0 (the base point you wish to roate about) and which rotation you want as X and which side y.  It has the same funcionality, just with 1 extra click (picking the Y direction).

You can still rotate around a hard angle keeping your 0,0 in the same location by doing this:

UCS

N

Z

90 (or any angle)

It took me a while to get used to this change as well.

UCS

W

wil still reset your axis.

good luck.

David.

Distinguished Contributor
GegH1
Message 3 of 12 (4,938 Views)

10-15-2012 02:36 PM in reply to: georgie

I just found the same thing. The problem is i often wish to rotate around 0,0,0 (in world) without moving the location but referencing an object in the drawing.

I've been doing this for years. I guess i'm not allowed to work that way anymore.

I can understand adding in functionality, not too sure about the reason for taking it away however obscure the command. I guess the AutoCAD box is getting full.

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 7 Pro 64bit, Dell Precision M6500
*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 4 of 12 (4,932 Views)

10-15-2012 02:59 PM in reply to: georgie

You can use PARallel osnap

UCS, Z, PAR, (hover on line), move cursor to find parallel line, pick.

Active Contributor
Davmt
Message 5 of 12 (4,134 Views)

02-22-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: georgie

Just read your post and I have the same problem but you know whats odd? the command works just fine in paper space but if you go into the viewport or model space it works this new way. the best work-around thati've found was to use "OBJECT" in the UCS menu.

Vitornis
Message 6 of 12 (3,695 Views)

04-14-2013 10:04 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

lol SInce I'm drawing in a 3d space not all the lines I reference have their endpoint on the same xy plane. So no parallel.

Vitornis
Message 7 of 12 (3,694 Views)

04-14-2013 10:07 PM in reply to: georgie

SIlly Autodesk why did you ruin another command?

Valued Contributor
asutton
Message 8 of 12 (1,920 Views)

12-05-2013 12:01 AM in reply to: Vitornis

Did anyone come up with a solution for this?

I just made this thread because my problem is rotating the UCS, not the entire drawing. I hope someone can help.

GegH1
Message 9 of 12 (1,908 Views)

12-05-2013 01:36 AM in reply to: georgie

It's not quite that simple anymore.

You can still rotate around the z axis, but it is the z axis of the UCS symbol.

The old command would allow you to essentially fix the z axis and reference the x axis between 2 points, this no longer works as many of us have found. I think this functionality has gone because they have added the manual positioning and rotation of the UCS.

You may have noticed this, but for those who haven't, you can now select the UCS symbol manually by clicking on it (not via a window) which gives you 3 selectable nodes. Click on the 'z' node and move the UCS. Click on the 'X' or 'y' node and you can rotate the UCS.

This is actually a very useful functionality of the UCS, especially for those who don't know the old commands, but does mean the old UCS, z command can't work anymore for some programming reason.

However, what you can do is move ucs manually to a new point, like the end point of a line (Or programatically by UCS, O). Then use UCS, Z. The first point is 0,0,0 (the new origin) and then you can select a second point for the new X or a rotation amount, the UCS will rotate flat rather than follow a non coplanar line (i think that's the word).

This is the best i have found, it will however move the origin of the UCS to a new location in all Axis including Z although, the UCS will remain flat.

If anyone knows a better way please let us know. 

For others who have posted here, OBJECT will only work if the object is coplanar as does David UCS, N, Z commands and Grants Parrallel command, in fact i've only managed to get Davids command to work if the UCS is close to the refeerence object.

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 7 Pro 64bit, Dell Precision M6500
Valued Contributor
asutton
Message 10 of 12 (1,901 Views)

12-05-2013 02:30 AM in reply to: GegH1

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

"You can still rotate around the z axis, but it is the z axis of the UCS symbol."

Yes, isn't this rediculous, the UCS icon in the lower left has no relationship to the actual drawing.

"However, what you can do is move ucs manually to a new point, like the end point of a line (Or programatically by UCS, O). Then use UCS, Z. The first point is 0,0,0 (the new origin) and then you can select a second point for the new X or a rotation amount, the UCS will rotate flat rather than follow a non coplanar line (i think that's the word)."

I figured out what was part of my problem, I have always worked with UCSICON set to Noorigin because I like it to always stay in the bottom left of the screen. This forces the UCS icon to stay put and the Z command uses the icon as the base point, as you know. If you set UCSICON to ORigin then run UCS, O, set that to the first point, then UCS, Z you can select the secont point and it works the same as UCS, Z in 2011 and earlier.

If I use the grip at the bottom of the UCS icon it dynamically associates and rotates the UCS to teh object I drag it to. I spotted the command to stop it doing this when I was researching the Z issue, but I cannot find it now. Does anyone know what it is?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube