Did you mean: 

Toolpalett icon image not changing

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bart_van_tuyl
251 Views, 1 Reply

Toolpalett icon image not changing

Hi,

I have a toolpalette with tools and there icon. I have located the Icon and change the way it looks (not its size format or exention) and saved it in exactly the same directory I found it under the exact same name it was found under, so to recap nothing absoulutly nothing has changed except that the icon image has been modifide. however now I open my toolpalette and the icon stil remains the same as prior to the changes???

Im not intrested if Im allowed to change this icon because thats cuasing the issue (It isnt , but the story behind me knowing that is way to long to bother explaining). the issue is that the icon which was change is obviously not being loaded and autocad is actually stored a copy of the image somewhere else because its reading the image as it was before it changed...

The question thus is where is this location?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dmfrazier
in reply to: bart_van_tuyl

Some of your comments were difficult to interpret, but to answer the question at the end...

"...where is this location?"

The icons (PNG files) are saved in the folder specified in Options, Files, Tool Palettes File Locations (or TPFL), which for AutoCAD 2013 (in my case no vertical) is normally set to:

C:\Users\<login name>\appdata\roaming\autodesk\autocad 2013 - english\r19.0\enu\support\toolpalette

Note that it's possible to specify more than one location.  It's also possible for the folder(s) to have restricted access rights.

I ran my own test based on your description.  I created a new palette (whose files are stored in a local path which is specified first in my TPFL) and added a block insertion tool.  I closed AutoCAD, located the new PNG file, opened it in Paint, changed the color of one area, and saved the file.  When I launched AutoCAD and looked at the palette, the icon had changed based on the change I had made.

When I repeated this process with a palette stored in a network folder, which is specified second in my TPFL, the icon did not change until I used the "Specify image" right-click command within the tool palette to direct it to the file that I edited.

In that network folder there are many PNG files named with exactly the same name as the tools on the palette (+ 32 and/or 64), but there are also many others named "Block tool_[+lots of seemingly random characters].png".  It may be that when the palette tool is initially created, it uses the PNG with the simple name, and then as the palette's display properties are tweaked, it creates the others with the complex names as "alternates".

So my guess is that even though it seems to be the right file, you are actually modifying the wrong file.  Try using "Specify image" to force it to use the file you modified, and see if that makes any difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost