AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

wargen
Message 1 of 10 (1,278 Views)
Accepted Solution

Toolbars will be removed in future Autocad versions?

1278 Views, 9 Replies
01-28-2013 04:45 AM

Im working with Autocad 2013 and a HVAC application called MagiCad, the developers of MagiCad have removed toolbars and have these disgusting ribbons as their only option in their latest version. They claim they did this because Autocad will remove toolbars anyway so there wasn't any point in keeping them.

Sure classic may look like a mess to someone new to Autocad with hundreds of buttons to press, but i have had the toolbars in the same place since 15 years and this is the only way i can work. If there is no option to work in Autocad classic it would be a huge drawback and it would take years to get the productivity back up again.

I dislike ribbons with a passion and have despite many tries always gone back to Autocad classic, is it true that Autodesk is planning to remove toolbars? Please tell me the developer of MagiCad lied to me!

Best regards Wolfgang Rachbauer

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (1,270 Views)

Re: Toolbars will be removed in future Autocad versions?

01-28-2013 05:28 AM in reply to: wargen

It's easier to develop an add-on for one menu type, not two, in AutoCAD: fact.

Their business decision unless all their customers rebel and force them to change: fact.

Autodesk only offers the Ribbon in all AutoCAD versions except plain AutoCAD and LT: fact.

Autodesk is putting more efforts and features in the Ribbon and not the classic menu: fact.

What does Autodesk plan for the future of plain AutoCAD and LT? Anyone that says one thing or another don't know for sure, and those that do know for sure can't speak or they will lose their jobs or get sued by Autodesk for violating their signed non-disclosure agreement. FACT.

if you want to find out for yourself about at least the next version, sign up and join the beta testing team and get the scoop and participate in the product development: http://beta.autodesk.com

Or make the switch: OOTB the Ribbon is horrible but like toolbars and pulldown menus it can shine with personal customization (the reason your bought and stick with AutoCAD in the first place).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
RStillwell
Message 3 of 10 (1,252 Views)

01-28-2013 07:11 AM in reply to: wargen

I've been using AutoCAD for a lot longer than 15 years and I have no problem with the ribbon.

Over the years I have used 36x24 digitizer menus with 16 button pucks. Then migrated to using toolbars with a 3 button mouse and will now adapt to the ribbon.

You have two choices in life. You adapt and overcome or you become a greeter at Walmart. I'm too anti-social to be a greeter at Walmart.

wargen
Message 4 of 10 (1,229 Views)

01-28-2013 08:22 AM in reply to: wargen

Thanks for your answers, im afraid there are few options but to learn about customizing the ribbons. It looks like there are some fixes that makes the ribbons a little more like im used to.

If others are conservative like me and get bothered by this ribbon mumbo jumbo please share how you overcame this. What im looking for is to get as many buttons as possible in the view, the preosedure as it is now is to look for the correct tab, and then the correct section of that tab only to find a button that has a roll down list of commands.

What used to be one click taking 1 seconds is now at least 5 clicks and takes approximately 7 seconds assuming i know exactly where to find the commands, which in it self will take a lot of time.

This looks like a good start but im happy if other conservative CAD users would share their solutions to the ribbon problem. I guess i can do all toolbars and buttons from scratch to get exaclty what i like but if they remove it completely that is time wasted when next release comes, all tips are welcome.

http://cad-notes.com/2012/03/exploring-autocad-cui-working-with-ribbon-part-3/

Mentor
RStillwell
Message 5 of 10 (1,215 Views)

01-28-2013 09:06 AM in reply to: wargen

You could always create your own ribbon tab that contains the commands you use the most.

When I used a digitizer menu.  I grouped together my most commonly used commands.

When toolbars came along I created my own toolbar and called it Handy Stuff and have moved it along with each release of AutoCAD since I created it.

Because toolbars do still exist I continue to use it but when the time comes and it is no longer available to me. I will convert it to a Ribbon Tab called Handy Stuff and keep on trucking along.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 10 (1,198 Views)

01-28-2013 11:13 AM in reply to: wargen

Look into workspaces - these control your UI, where things are located and what is shown, what is hidden.  Create a workspace (or several) with the layouts that suit your work process.  Don't forget you can drag those Ribbon panels off to make super-toolbars too.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
darnold
Message 7 of 10 (1,190 Views)

01-28-2013 11:41 AM in reply to: RStillwell

I started with AutoCad in 1989; version 9 with a 286. I brought my modified toolbars all along the way. In 2005, when the recession hit and Tool and Die shops closed, I had 5 different jobs in as many years, most having their own toolbars without allowing modifications.

So you learn flexibility.

With the advance of solids and 2013, I made the plunge to Inventor. No toolbars at all, just the ribbon. a learning curve to be sure, but I'm glad for the short period of pain to advance my skills..

When I do go back to AutoCAD, I look to the ribbon for my tools.

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Distinguished Contributor
greg.battin
Message 8 of 10 (1,176 Views)

01-28-2013 12:11 PM in reply to: wargen

If you think about the ribbon's panels as toolbars, this tip can be helpful especially if you have two monitors.

Drag the panels into place and save a workspace.

Sorry the developer doesn't offer toolbars...

Hope this helps

~Greg

Panel Placement.jpg

Valued Contributor
Anthonius
Message 9 of 10 (706 Views)

08-12-2013 11:12 AM in reply to: greg.battin

I've been using AutoCAD since 1997.  I guess that's... 16 years.  Started with version 12 (barely) and went on with 13, 14, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2013, and since Friday, 2014.

I was a combo command/toolbar guy until I got a job where they had 2009 and first saw the ribbon.  I like the ribbon on Word & Excel, and since I like toolbars, I decided to give it the ol' "Tech School Try". Without any training, it took, me a long time (and long nights staying after work) to learn the customization all the way to the nitty gritty  Like another poster said above, the best way to use the ribbon is to make your own panels & place the buttons you want in them. 

This is my ribbon.  It's 100% custom.  Even made a different CUIX file containing all of my customizations so it's easy to add to another computer or update after a new release (which just happened to us on Friday.)

Anthony's Ribbon.jpg

I do understand the possibly painful process for this especially if you're used to something for so many years, but I found that with the customization of the ribbon, I'm faster & even more efficient than I was with my previous toolbar setup (that I used for many many years too.)  Just learn the customization and it'll be better.

--------------
AutoCAD MEP 2014 64 bit
Revit 2014
Windows 7

Have a good time, all the time.
Distinguished Mentor
darawork
Message 10 of 10 (654 Views)

08-13-2013 03:09 AM in reply to: wargen

I have been using AutoCad since release 10. I started out typing commands.

I switched to a digitizing tablet and 4button puck for a few years... but now I've since gone back to typing.

I only ever use maybe 5 toolbar buttons, so the kaleidoscopic, fractal like permutation of the GUI over the years has never really bothered me that much.

System information: Win7 x64 / 3DSMax Design 2015 / AutoCad 2015 / Xeon E31225 quadcore @3.10Ghz / nVidia GTX760 2GB (337.88 Driver) / 24Gb Ram / Corsair 650w

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube