Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip for F1 Key Haters

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
QSI_Tech
704 Views, 10 Replies

Tip for F1 Key Haters

Finally found a great way to repurpose my F1 key - versus yanking it off my keyboard Smiley Tongue - So here's what I did. Open up the CUI interface. In the top left window (customization files) scroll down far enough you will see a menu for "Keyboard Shortcuts." Expand that menu. Then click "Shortcut Keys." Click on the QSave command and to the right you will see the properties box. Now click on the box that says Access Key(s) to the right yu wil see 3 dots. Click those. Now change the hotkey to F1.

Now when you accidently hit the key you will qsave the drawing instead. Also if you hover your mouse over an icon & then press the F1 key you can get information about the icon too.

Hope this helps.

See attachment for further assistance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JONTHEPOPE
in reply to: QSI_Tech

You could program it to f12 if it really bothers you

Message 3 of 11
JONTHEPOPE
in reply to: JONTHEPOPE

oh wait f12 does something now
Message 4 of 11
pendean

I prefer the button to cancel vs a qsave, since there are times when I have a drawing open with no intentions of saving it and I hate when I accidentally do so 😞
Message 5 of 11
scot-65

Ours had the OSNAP setting of "_Cen", which was useful back in the day when the little icons could not "scroll" to that particular one. Now that it is no longer needed, we still keep it due to old habits.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 6 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: scot-65

scot-65 wrote:
Ours had the OSNAP setting of "_Cen", which was useful back in the day when the little icons could not "scroll" to that particular one.
Ha. Our F keys have been set to OSNAPS (except F8) for almost 20 years now. Still going strong....
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 11
vlsheehan
in reply to: rkmcswain

My F keys are osnaps except F2 and F8.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 8 of 11
ampster401

If I were to do anything with the F1 key I think I'd lean towards Deans suggestion since that is usually what I'd want to do when aiming for the esc key to cancel something.

But I'd also tend to leave it alone and live with it due to the F1 key is usally considered the Help key for many apps and is default for the OS Help system as well. 

Still it's a good suggestion for those who are interested.

Message 9 of 11
tq1918

I had mine repurposed for cancel as well. Then I found myself on someone else’s computer without my .cuix and learned some new tricks by hovering over his ribbons (which I hate) and hitting the F1 key.  

There is so much I don’t know about AutoCAD.  I find myself starving to find out more.  By coming here and hitting the F1 key every day I satiate that desire. 

I encourage everyone to leave the F1 key alone and strike it purposefully.  

Message 10 of 11
GrantsPirate
in reply to: tq1918

I have the F keys assigned to Osnaps, if I need help I can use Ctrl+F1, or ? enter.  Any of the F key's original function can be accessed with Ctrl+F key.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 11
QSI_Tech
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Lots of great tips here on esolving F1 key issues. I prefer it as my qsave key, but i can still access the help functions by clicking the question mark or hovering the icon and pressing F1. But the other suggestions you guys have are great too. Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost