Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Ribbon Sucks

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
RChalmers2
2743 Views, 36 Replies

The Ribbon Sucks

I just have to say this:  The Ribbon Sucks. 

I upgraded from 2006 to 2014 a few months ago and I have to say that the ribbon just sucks.  I had to get my hardrive worked on and have to use a temporary set up for a week or two.  I cannot really customize AutoCAD with this temporary set up so am forced to use the ribbon.  It is just terrible with all that switching around and pulldowns you have to wade through and who knows where the hell the commands are located.  Not to mention the screen space it takes.  Did I mention how badly it sucks?

Yuck!

End of Rant.

Thanks for listening.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
drjohn
in reply to: nestly2

Naa ... I just mono-typed myself. Too old for stereo. LMAO ... it's all good. How you do it is not the measure, the final product is. I actually use many things off the ribbon but still have the custom toolbars off to the side. Works for me and the ribbon works for you, but this **** FF formatting doesn't work at all. Nor does IE11. Something is rotten in Denmark.
Message 22 of 37
nestly2
in reply to: drjohn

Re: Formatting,  your browser, IT, or firewall is blocking javascript, specifically the script from addthis.com.  search the forum for "addthis" if you need more information.

Message 23 of 37
drjohn
in reply to: nestly2

@nestly wrote:

Re: Formatting,  your browser, IT, or firewall is blocking javascript, specifically the script from addthis.com.  search the forum for "addthis" if you need more information.

OK ... the QUOTE is now working instead of sending me back to the top of page ...

Let's see if this works. Actually, this is the only site this happens on from my home systems.

(fast forward 5 mins later)

@nestly ... I owe you a beer.  I'll even try using the ribbon more  Smiley Very Happy.  It was ADBLOCK PLUS in FF28 

Thanx.

DJ

Message 24 of 37
nestly2

@DrJohn wrote:
Naa ... I just mono-typed myself. Too old for stereo. LMAO ... it's all good. How you do it is not the measure, the final product is. I actually use many things off the ribbon but still have the custom toolbars off to the side. Works for me and the ribbon works for you

I replied to the wrong post ... the stereotype comment wasn't directed at you.. I'm primarily a toolbar user, and even when I do use the Ribbon, I also keep several custom toolbars open.  Glad you got the formatting sorted out.

Message 25 of 37
pendean
in reply to: RChalmers2

Man up: go CLEANSCREEN all the time 😉
Message 26 of 37
kittugs143

Hi
if your not interested in using panel 

then go to 1.) AutoCAD Classic
                 2.) Then delete unnecessory toolbars from your screen
                 3.) To make Your own Workspace
                               go to View panel 
                                    click on Toolbars select manually

((or))
Right click on any toolbar and then can have visible on all the toolbars
After setting up

WSSAVE (enter)
to create your own workspace
I hope this may helpfull 🙂 

Tags (1)
Message 27 of 37
jdavis417

Did did George M. Cohen forsee the Ribbon?

"You're a grand old flag,

You're a high-flying flag,

But should auld acquaintance be forgot,

Keep your eye on the grand old flag."

Man Tongue

Message 28 of 37
ArtisanCAD

I hate the ribbon also, on all software!

at one time most applications were very similar and once you could use one you have a fairly good understanding of another!

the drop down menues were all laid out in a logical fashion and toolbars were an added bonus!

now I open some software and its all garnish and pretty icons! more clicks of the mouse to achive what you could with one click!

It's like selling and old car with a new dashboard. 99% of the development should have gone into a more effeciant engine!

Lorne
Message 29 of 37
nrz13
in reply to: pendean

CLEANSCREEN actually gives me slightly less drawing area than my normal mode.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 30 of 37
dmfrazier
in reply to: jdavis417

"...it's an extreme statement to throw an extreme practice into sharp relief."

The "practice" is not "extreme" in any sense of the word.  On a continuum of AutoCAD practices, it surely would fall somewhere in the middle.  So, "an extreme statement" (ridicule, actually) and "sharp relief" are not required.  One could argue that they are never appropriate in a forum like this.

"I'm trying to 'make lite', but I'm really not kidding too much."

"..it might be useless to have this conversation..."

I get that you're just trying to "make lite", but if you're "really not kidding too much" (which is debatable), don't you think it would be more constructive (less "useless") to offer supporting evidence for your position on the subject, or maybe a helpful hint or two, as other posters did?  I'm left with the impression that you are an enthusiastic, experienced, and skillful AutoCAD user who is concerned about efficiency, but some of your comments make it seem as though you aren't interested in helping the OP (or anyone else reading this thread) as much as you want to make yourself look superior by ridiculing others' choices.  It may seem that ridicule is a good motivator, and it may make you feel better about yourself, albeit temporarily, when you take the opportunity to inflict it on others, but in the long run you harm yourself and your victims.

Message 31 of 37
drjohn
in reply to: dmfrazier

C'mon dm ... back off a bit.   This whole thread was tongue-in-cheek.  Smiley Happy

Regards,

DJ

Message 32 of 37
jdavis417
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

It may seem that ridicule is a good motivator, (but)...

You're right about ridicule being a poorly-chosen tool... and the people who told me the same thing 4-or-more years ago on the exact same subject were right too!

Isn't an "evangelist" supposed to give some fire-and-brimstone every now and then? Smiley Embarassed

Message 33 of 37
dmfrazier

Oooh... I'm just gettin' started!  (See my tongue?) Smiley Tongue

Message 34 of 37
dmfrazier

"Isn't an 'evangelist' supposed to give some fire-and-brimstone every now and then?"

"Evangelist"? "Fire-and-brimstone"?

You lost me.

Message 35 of 37
drjohn

EOF

Message 36 of 37
dmfrazier

EOW

Message 37 of 37
RobertGreene18

No we get to work at 7:00 AM and by 10:00 AM have done a days work for the Mellennial's; everything is getting slower and less efficient.   OH LOOK THERE GOES A SQUIRREL ! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost