Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Ribbon Sucks

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
RChalmers2
2750 Views, 36 Replies

The Ribbon Sucks

I just have to say this:  The Ribbon Sucks. 

I upgraded from 2006 to 2014 a few months ago and I have to say that the ribbon just sucks.  I had to get my hardrive worked on and have to use a temporary set up for a week or two.  I cannot really customize AutoCAD with this temporary set up so am forced to use the ribbon.  It is just terrible with all that switching around and pulldowns you have to wade through and who knows where the hell the commands are located.  Not to mention the screen space it takes.  Did I mention how badly it sucks?

Yuck!

End of Rant.

Thanks for listening.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
dmfrazier
in reply to: RChalmers2

Just turn it off (Ribbonclose).

Isn't the "AutoCAD Classic" workspace still available?

Message 3 of 37
Yorx57

I jumped from 2005 to 2013, and decided to give the Ribbon an honest try. It actually took longer than I expected to "learn" where all of the commands where - but, I have to say that I'm glad I did. I love the Ribbon now and will never go back to "Classic" mode.

Just my 2 cents..... 

Message 4 of 37
dmfrazier
in reply to: Yorx57

I'm beginning to get used to the ribbon in MS Office software, but there I don't see how it works better than the toolbars and menus, particularly if one has spent years learning how to work with them.  It seems to me that it's just the same stuff re-arranged (for the sake of being "new and different"), which basically just means I have to learn how to work with it all over again, without any advantage that I can see.

Message 5 of 37
jdavis417

The Ribbon is awsome!

Do toolbar enthusiasts still prime the engine and crank their cars to start them to drive to work in the morning? Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 37
dgorsman
in reply to: dmfrazier

Unlike toolbars, Ribbon panels automatically shrink when the window is made smaller (e.g. using a mobile device or remote login).  They don't utilize a number of the features I like though, like dragging panels off for toolbars or expanding/folding panels.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 37
dmfrazier
in reply to: jdavis417

Some of us don't bother with cars and driving at all - ever heard of telecommuting?

(The car analogy doesnt really work, though.  The technology you refer to in older car models is clearly inferior, less reliable, and less desirable than the technology available in modern cars.  The superiority of the ribbon over toolbars and menus is not so clear.  It's really a subjective, preference issue, as far as I can tell.  That's why there's so much debate and disagreement over it.)

Message 8 of 37
dmfrazier
in reply to: dgorsman

"Ribbon panels automatically shrink..."

Good point - that is an advantage.  (And now I can see it.)

Message 9 of 37
acadhelp1

Like someone mentioned previously, you can minimize the Ribbon to 3 different levels.  It's the button to the right of the last Ribbon tab.  Try it out.

I would also add that the Ribbon has contextual tabs that can replace those dialogs that cover your screen, like Hatch and Array.

Also if you have trouble finding a command in the Ribbon or even Toolbars, you can use the search box in the Application Menu (big A button in upper left).  It will show you where they are...  

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 37
jdavis417

@dmfrazier wrote:

Some of us don't bother with cars and driving at all - ever heard of telecommuting?

(The car analogy doesnt really work, though.  The technology you refer to in older car models is clearly inferior, less reliable, and less desirable than the technology available in modern cars.  The superiority of the ribbon over toolbars and menus is not so clear.  It's really a subjective, preference issue, as far as I can tell.  That's why there's so much debate and disagreement over it.)

I contend the car analogy works exactly as I intend it to... it's an extreme statement to throw an extreme practice into sharp relief. 😉

A wise man once said, "I do not know what I do not know", and to prove this point about myself;

What happens when the Ribbon is off and you select the frame of a PDF underlay? (this is a real question since I don't know)

I suspect that you simply don't know what you're missing by bypassing a contextual Ribbon!

In my experience, toolbar hold-outs largely;

1. Have a poor-to-no usage of Paper Space (i.e. put title blocks and text that lives only on the sheet in Model Space)
  2. Believe Annotative text and blocks "don't work"
  3. Don't embrace the creation and use of Dynamic Blocks
  4. Use single-line TEXT when they should use MTEXT
  5. Must press a button to call the ZOOM command
  6. Have one hand poised over the Esc button (or holding a drinking utensil) rather than on the ASDF keys (for righties), where it belongs
  7. Want to use AutoCAD like it was r12
  8. Are often in "seats of power" and are literally holding their companies and users back from modernity.

I've heard that those who use toolbars exclusively will be featured in the next Tim Lahaye novel (you know, the 'Left Behind' series)? Smiley LOL

Now, another wise man once said, "All generalizations are false, including this one".  I'm trying to "make lite", but I'm really not kidding too much.

There was a joke-type application I saw once which went through a faux installation scenario.  One of the options was:

1. The application with some buttons
  2. The application with a whole lot of buttons
  3. A screen full of buttons

I know that, after this number of years (yes, years) it might be useless to have this conversation, but perhaps someone will give the Ribbon a 30-60 day evaluation.  I resisted for one release then gave it a fair shot... I'll not go back by choice. Smiley Very Happy

P.S. I meant to mention that effective use of the .pgp, Toolpalettes and .cui (especially for adding rt-click functionality that fits your workflow) makes the Ribbon vs. TP choice somewhat less relevant.

Message 11 of 37
jdavis417

Oops... I typed TP (like ToolPalette) but really meant TB (toolbar).

Message 12 of 37
scot-65

The ribbon cannot do DIESEL expressions like the MENUBAR.

$(substr,DIMSTYLE: ,1,10)$(getvar,dimstyle)

Also, for a top level command (IE the command is not buried in a drop-down), if you do not have an associative

button image and wish to switch the Button Style to "small with text", thus using only text, this is what you get:

533ed5fa.gif

Also, take a look at the genius who wrote this:

menubarhelp.jpg

No mention of the Screen Menu, huh?

Ribbon:

One click on the appropriate tab, one click to expand a drop-down, one click to start the command.

Menubar:

One click on the menu, one click to start command.

Screen Menu (and toolbars):

One click to start command.

Commandline:

USE THE LEFT HAND TO START THE COMMAND VIA YOUR CUSTOM PGP. What else do you use this hand for?

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 13 of 37
jdavis417
in reply to: scot-65

@scot-65 wrote:

The ribbon cannot do DIESEL expressions like the MENUBAR.

$(substr,DIMSTYLE: ,1,10)$(getvar,dimstyle)

Search help for "DIESEL Expressions in Macros"

@scot-65 wrote:

Commandline:

USE THE LEFT HAND TO START THE COMMAND VIA YOUR CUSTOM PGP. What else do you use this hand for?

Right... that seems to support that having every command I MIGHT want to use on-screen at all times is not the only (or even the best) option?

Message 14 of 37
jdavis417
in reply to: scot-65

To set a DIMSTYLE current by picking, use this macro in a Ribbon (or other) button...

^C^C-DIMSTYLE R;;

Message 15 of 37
drjohn

In my experience, toolbar hold-outs largely; >> Have a poor-to-no usage of Paper Space (i.e. put title blocks and text that lives only on the sheet in Model Space) Missed the ball on that swing. >> Believe Annotative text and blocks "don't work" Alotta posts about trouble with annotation on the forums with annotations >> Don't embrace the creation and use of Dynamic Blocks Missed again ... strike 2 >> Use single-line TEXT when they should use MTEXT AIR BALL !!!! >> Must press a button to call the ZOOM command Much quicker than sliding the cursor up to the ribbon ... initiating the open of the panel ... initiating the command rather than Z > rightclick. >> Have one hand poised over the Esc button (or holding a drinking utensil) rather than on the ASDF keys (for righties), where it belongs Guilty ... but I bet I can cancel a command faster than sliding to wherever the cancel is on the ribbon. >>Want to use AutoCAD like it was r12 I've used it since version 2.17b when it came on 2 5 2/4 inch floppies and embraced every version that came after it. This time it's more eye-candy that functional. >> Are often in "seats of power" and are literally holding their companies and users back from modernity. Yeah ... right ... pipe dream. >> I've heard that those who use toolbars exclusively will be featured in the next Tim Lahaye novel (you know, the 'Left Behind' series)? Or maybe in the next issue of Fortune 500 j/k Regards, DJ
Message 16 of 37
jdavis417
in reply to: drjohn

Did you notice my qualifier, "In my experience"?  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Um, ZOOM can be done by rolling the mousewheel (BTW, "W" is not required... just make the window and ZOOM EXTENTS is a dbl-click on the mouse wheel). 😉  Esc is done with the little finger or a slow right-click (enabled slow-right clicks, right?).

My point is that people stuck in the TB mindset are... well... stuck!

Message 17 of 37
drjohn

I did ... and I was just slammin' ... hence the J/K ... off work now and trying to figger out why my FF28 won't hold formatting on the forum. .... Use what makes you comfortable. .... Not an issue with me. ... sorry about the stupid post formatting. Only from home ... not at work for some reason. .... I know .... IT'S THE RIBBON!!!! Oh ... wait ... FF doesn't use a RIBBON ... HAGD ... Regards, DJ
Message 18 of 37
nestly2

I think you've just stereotyped yourself every bit as much as you have Toolbar users you are attempting to stuff into a pigeon hole    😉

Message 19 of 37
jdavis417

I understand that there's nothing personal in this conversation... I truly appreciate when people are passionate about things!  You are appreciated! 😉

Message 20 of 37
jdavis417
in reply to: nestly2

@nestly wrote:

I think you've just stereotyped yourself every bit as much as you have Toolbar users you are attempting to stuff into a pigeon hole    😉

Stereotyped?  Oh, you mean I'm a "futurist", right? Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost