Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking my Certification Exam (Need Pointers)

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
clemay
3819 Views, 22 Replies

Taking my Certification Exam (Need Pointers)

I will be taking my AutoCAD Certification to receive my Certified Professional Certificate in a few weeks and wanted a few pointers that I may be overlokking and should brush up on?

I received an Associates of Science Degree in AutoCAD in 2001 but I never pursued my certificate. I just didn't see the need before.  But now I see that it looks good on Résumés and would like to add this to my collection.  Our local Autodesk rep has informed me that they have an assessment that they charge $20 for, but it is from the 2012 material.  They have also informed me that to go over exactly what I need to know would be to by the Ascent AutoCAD 2014 Fundamentals.  The problem is the book is $80 and there can't be much in there that I don't know.  But I could be wrong.  I can tell you that I have not written any LISP ROUTINES.  I have written macros and utilized the CUI from Action Macros, Custom Commands, Toolbars, Ribbons, Panels and even draw my own images for the buttons created.  But the LISP seems like the only thing I am not completely familiar with and confident on.  I know there are several features and other things I can still learn, but I couldn'y think of a better place to ask them here where hundreds of others have already taken this test.  As far as material, I have AutoCAD 2014 along with the entire 2014 Infrastructure Design Suite.  So I have the F1 at my disposal.  As far as books, I have Harnessing AutoCAD R14 (lol), ACAD for Dummies (1o books in 1 from 2006), Ascent AutoCAD 2012 Advanced, AutoCAD Pocket Reference (6th Edition for 2013 & 2014) and I have a few of the 2014 Civil 3D books, but I don't think there is anything in there that would be useful towards my exam.

Given the information above, I would love to hear some feedback and other useful tips.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
nestly2
in reply to: clemay

There are several Online Classes available at Autodesk University related to preparing for the AutoCAD certification exams.  Just type "AutoCAD Certification" into the Classes on Demand search box.  BTW, registration at AU is free and you can use your existing Autodesk forum or Subscripiton username/password.

Message 3 of 23
GrantsPirate

It has been a few years since I took the Certification exam but at that time there was nothing in there that had to do with customization or 3D. Just very basic questions, move this object to here, measure the distance between them, things like that. Anyone with a working knowledge of the program that can draw 2D objects should do pretty well. If you search you should find a few practice questions.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 4 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: GrantsPirate

As indicated - no LISP or 3D.

I haven't used AutoCAD much since r2007 and I had no trouble passing the r2013 exam (it pretty much tells you how to use AutoCAD to solve each problem).  If you can follow instructions and have a basic understanding of the program you should be fine.

There is more information here https://autodesk.starttest.com/ (but I think it scared me more than it helped me, I didn't try to do any prep work for the exam)

"Autodesk rep has informed me that they have an assessment that they charge $20..."
This sounds fishy to me!

I scored higher on the AutoCAD exam than I did on the Inventor exam (which is what I use now).  Smiley Frustrated
I thought the Inventor exam was much tougher - I tell anyone taking the Inventor exam that they should be supremely confident in all areas of the product.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
clemay
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the tips. I have worked with Inventor a few times and I can see clearly how difficult the exam must be. As long as I have been using AutoCAD, AutoCAD MAP and AutoCAD Civil 3D, that did not prepare me at all for the question marks that went off when I went through a couple of the sample files. But the software is very powerful and look forward to one day having the time to understand the software better. It almost seemed more difficult to learn than ArcGIS. And ArcGIS was tougher than C3D, ACAD and Map put together. I actually still learn new stuff weekly for ArcGIS. But it is great to use with C3D and seeing how to tackle certain tasks from one software to another and which one has they fewer keystrokes if you know what I mean....lol

Thanks Again!
C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 6 of 23
clemay
in reply to: nestly2

That is great information.  Thank you so much!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 7 of 23
JDMather

@clemay wrote:
 I have worked with Inventor a few times and I can see clearly how difficult the exam must be.

I didn't mean to imply that Inventor is hard - to me it is much much easier to use than AutoCAD.  It was the test that I thought was harder because the AutoCAD test told you what to do to solve the problems, while the Inventor test expected you to know what to do to solve the problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 23
steve216586

I'll probably get a beat-down for what I'm about to write on an ADesk forum, but I'm tough so let the games begin:

PREFACE: I have previously worked with two world wide engineering and manufacturing companies and my current employer is making the transition into a nationally recognized company. I have been drafting since 1983. CAD drafting since 2000. Computer Design Drafting since 2005. I am proficient at AutoCAD, AutoCAD MECH, MicroStation, Alibre, SolidEdge, SolidWorks. I have experience with AutoCAD C3D, Inventor, though not proficient enough to just jump right on in and produce anything in a timely or proficient manner without further familiarization.

If you have an Associates Degree why bother with an inferior certificate? You state it seems to look good on a resume. I doubt that, unless you are applying for an instructor position and need to build credentials with varying certifying agencies.

The whole idea that being an "AutoCAD XXXX", "AutoDESK XXXX" Certified Professional, in the working world, is overrated only by those who have the certification. It is dismissed by everyone else. It is an achievement, but of what value? $100 and how many hours of your personal time? Your portfolio says more about your work and experience than a certificate. The amount of CAD softwares you command will increase your earning potential exponatially compared to the number of certificates you have on your resume. 

Employers seek people with knowledge of varying disciplines and know how to put that data on paper in a timely and proficient manner. Especially companies whose client charges include "billable hours" from their engineering and design staff. In my experience, most large engineering companies have their own certification programs. After unspecified amount of favorable reviews and accepting more responsibility, you are able to move up from draftsman to design draftman to project manager and so on. An AutoCAD certificate isn't a substitute for that process. As I said, it is an inferior certificate compared to your degree or an internal company certification process.

My best advice to a younger CAD Operator would be to get into any position and prove yourself. Don't goof off. Be the guy who is willing to work over to complete the project. The guy who stays in the office longer on his own, to learn another CAD software the company uses, like Alibre or SolidEdge. It won't seem romantic at the time. A few of your co-workers may rip on you. But when you move up faster then they do or move to a better salary job, you will be laughing to the bank. Don't get comfortable doing "just the minimum" or have the attitude that you'll "only work as hard as I get paid". It will pay off when you're 50. You won't still be making red-line money. You'll be making Project Engineer money.

Another avenue, based on your age, would be to seek higher education. Go to night school and earn your BS. Just keep in mind the amount of time and money you will put into a higher degree may not be worth the return in compensation in your particular field or expertise. Mine certainly didn't. I earn more now with an Associates than had I gone part-time to night school and started out 4-5 years later with a BS. Finally, don't waste money and time on a certification which offers little in compensation return.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 9 of 23
clemay

Gotcha.  Well that puts my mind at ease for when I decide to work with the software.  it seemed alot more interacive than 3ds Max as far as basic functions and controlling the objects at hand.  Thanks again for the tips.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 10 of 23
clemay
in reply to: steve216586

WOW!  You just described what I do now.  I work 7 days a week.  I am constantly performing my work and looking ahead and I am always looking into other products that our comapny can benefit from.  I work at a small engineering firm in New Orleand and I have been pushing them to get Civil 3D and we finally made the move and we have several current jobs to execute from it.  I was informed we were reciveing a few more jobs that we will be using the Storm & Sanitary Analysis to complete our scope of work. Thanks again for your input.  It was very motivating!!!  And they rip on me now for working on the weekends......lol

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 11 of 23
JDMather

@steve216586 wrote:

Employers seek people with knowledge of varying disciplines and know how to put that data on paper in a timely and proficient manner. ...

Well I typed several paragraphs and somehow they were lost, so this will be short form.
My concern is that HR would discard resumes without certification in favor of those with certification before the resumes ever got to the people within the origanization that know the first thing about CAD.

In my experience HR thinks Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E (I started to write Creo, but they certainly don't know what that is) is AutoCAD.  They think CAD is AutoCAD.

I do not think having certification could ever be considered a negative on a resume.

I think having certification is a positive on a resume, period.

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
steve216586

Teach,

I never said it would be a "negative". I merely wanted to point out that a certificate under an Associates degree means a "pat on the back". If that is all you have, then so be it, it is better than nothing. Well, at least equal to nothing and you might get credit for not having so much blank space on your resume. "B" level Trade schools give certificates. A certificate from a software company is worth less? What is it worth? $100. Not very likely.

It might be worth something to a head hunter. They could use it as a selling point for a client. But as I said and maintain. If you don't have good experience and offer what the employer is looking for, all the certificates in the world on your resume, won't do you any good.

Would you equate a degree earned from your institution equal to a Triangle Tech or Porter & Chester certificate? Be honest.

Message 13 of 23
clemay

Man I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the feedback.  While I have an AD in AutoCAD, my Engineering Firm wants the Professional Certification on our Bid Proposals, which brings up another question (no heat intended...lol)..........

After looking into my Professional Certfication, I see that there are 2 types that you can acquire.  I can get a Certified Associate and I can get a Certified Professional.  The difference between them is the Associate is knowledge of feature and function.  The Professional is certification of skills ability.  So to me it seems the Professional would trump the associate.

But the way they were giving them off through the Autodesk site, they recommended to receive both of them, which seems a bit pointless if you were obtaining one.  Maybe if you...........agh nevermind.I don't get it.  But if you see a differnce, please let me know.  Thanks again for all the feedback.    CAD On!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 14 of 23
steve216586

"Professional Certification on our Bid Proposals"

I believe that is the requirement to provide the engineers' Professional Engineer Certificate (PE) or Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT) or the like. If you don't have one, then your company usually posts your resume. To be ISO qualified all employees who work on a design must be documented in the bid proposal. This requirement does not pertain to the AutoCAD certification process.

Message 15 of 23
clemay

We have 3 PE and 2 EIT.  But the main focus is to have a line item on our bid proposals that read all software users on the use are certified professionals, granted they list all of our other credibility.  I'm just knocking out the bosses request and I have been wanting to add this to my résumé anyway to shut the wife up.. ...lol (you graduated and you don't have a certification?)....ahhhhhhhhhh.i can hear her now.....I always say.I have a degree, what does it matter?.....but that's another story.

But it's a shame that there is such chance for AutoCAD users who have the most knowledge around can miss an opportunity for a job because the other résumé got picked because the employer and/or reader had the professional certification stick out, rather than the degree.  Because there are a lot of small companies out there that are not as informed or knowledge based on what the full details are behind the words on the document.  So if you are not lucky enough to get that interview to explain and/or showcase your skills, you start to think of ways to make your résumé stand out.

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 16 of 23
GrantsPirate

Steve216586 You are making some overreaching assumptions about the certifications from Autodesk. All the certification says is that according to Autodesk the person passing the test has validated their knowledge of Autodesk software. No one believes or is proposing that the certification is a substitution for experience or education. It is just one more check box on a resume.

Further down in your post you say, "The amount of CAD softwares (sic) you command will increase your earning potential exponatially (sic) compared to the number of certificates you have on your resume." How ironic as the certificate communicates that very idea to potential employers or customers.

The value of the certification is determined by the buyer (employer or client) and not the seller (certificate holder). Like anything else in our economy something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I doubt, as you do, most employers place much weight on the certificate and I wouldn't advise anyone to emphasize that in an interview or even bring it up for that matter. I would definitely put it on my resume.

Let me end by posing a question. If an employer has two resumes that look virtually identical except one person's resume has 3 Autodesk Professional Certifications, which person has a leg up on the other one?

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 17 of 23
JDMather

@clemay wrote:

...I see that there are 2 types that you can acquire. 

Think of the Associate as beginner, someone fresh out of school.

You would get the Associate first and then after some months of experience sit for the Professional certification exam.

You have to check carefully on how these are offered.

Last I knew, the Associate for Inventor has been removed and only the Professional is now available.

At one time there was a step lower than the Associate called a User exam (or something like that).

In any case, I would not give much value to any certification below the Professional certfication, and as noted by others - it is only an indication that you are fairly proficient with the AutoCAD commands and interface.  It does not indicate any particular level of proficiency in knowing how to solve problems (in any particular field) with the software.

From time-to-time there are Autodesk Certification Days on which the exam prices are very significantly reduced.

And if you go to Autodesk University conference held in Las Vegas each year last week of Nov or first week of Dec, you can take the exams for free.  http://au.autodesk.com

EESignature

Message 18 of 23
rculp
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Let me offer a prospective from an employers point of view.  We call it 'resume padding', not a bad thing, but not always a good thing either. I've seen the resumes (HR does not make the decisions the discipline lead makes the call), the scenario that "all things being equal" never happens, there are always many things on a resume that set one apart from the other.  A certification doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help that much either, unless there is NOTHING else to go on. 

We've taken those certification exams (or have people working for us who did) and are familiar with just what they measure and what they don't.  They basically tell US that you know how to turn the machine on and place/modify some 2D elements, very little more.  In our 3D world, the certification means next to nothing other than the guy had the gumption to take the test.  If you have a degree, that helps, but what was your GPA for that degree, that wil make a HUGE difference for new hires fresh out of school, grades are HUGELY important in this market.

Knowing a lot about many other applications (we don't use) tells us something about the kind of individual at which we're looking, but of more importance is what the applicant might know about the applications we DO use, and especially some of the third party apps we employ (CADWorx, ISOGEN, Caesar, etc.)  In our particular niche of the industry, 3D is a must and that is becoming the case more and more often.

What is important on a resume is experience.  And that's NOT just years, a guy with 10 years in the business who has worked for 8 or 12 or 20 different companies is not going to get hired over a guy with 6 years of experience with ONE company.  Stable experience is worth MUCH more than "one year's experience 20 times".

Now that's the personal resume side of the issue, you employer has desired such certification on your company resume.  That is a different type of resume from your personal and is selling something quite different from your abilties.  A company resume not only sells the entire company, but it also sets unit pricing for individual classes of manpower; an hour of a Civil Engineer with a PE will cost the client a LOT more than an hour of an entry level drafter, and a Senior Principle Designer will cost a lot more than a design tech.  But your employer needs to be careful that he doesn't over sell the "certified professional" aspect for his personnel.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 19 of 23
clemay

I did not realize they offer different degrees in Autodesk based products at that time..When I went to school for 2 years only learning the AutoCAD product, by the time I graduated, I was very comfortable taking any test or helping others that may have struggled.  But we had a great teacher and him and got along really well.  We actually had similar interest outside of AutoCAD...If you can believe that.....lol

I don't know what the degrees say now and offer, but I agree, if someone just took a fill-in class while going to college on AutoCAD for a few weeks should have not be translated to a resume as proficient.  I can tell you that I have had several EIT's come through my Firm with the resume showing AutoCAD, Land Desktop, etc on there and its right under Skills and reads "proficient in the use of".  

So when I sent them drawings to look at via dwgViewer, they would come and ask me the simplest task."How do I pan around, or zoom in".......

While it may look good on a resume, users should be careful what they put if one of the items on there could be the potential key factor you were hired. 

I understand the way most knowledge based people look at the Professional Certification and it is a good document to validate your actual use and ability in the product.  But thank god its only $100 compared to the $17,000+ I paid for my degree.  But they did not offer a higher degree at that time (1998).

Thanks again for the feedback and it has been great reading all the informative posts!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Message 20 of 23
clemay
in reply to: rculp

I graduated with a 3.78 and got the honer stamp on all the fields except one.  I will have to update my resume if the GPA is not on there.  Thank you for the time and very informative read!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost