Did you mean: 

Surface Modelling Through Given Points

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sbhardwaj.amu
413 Views, 7 Replies

Surface Modelling Through Given Points

HI everyone,

I have a certain set of points i cartisian plane (x,y,z) and I need to generate a surface, say a Bezier surface, through these points. How can I do this with AutoCAD or Inventor. I am currently using AutoCAD 2014 and Inventor 2014

Thanks 

Siddharth Bhardwaj

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: sbhardwaj.amu

Attach your dwg file here

and your ipt file over here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/bd-p/78

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
sbhardwaj.amu
in reply to: JDMather

Dear Mather

I have no file as such. I have got 2 problems to be addressed as of now:

1. Placing the points in cartisian plane (x, y, z). Say I have 5 points (0 0 0), (1 2 3), (5 -2 6), (4 -8 -2), (3 9 1), now how can I insert them in my work space. (I only get options for inserting in 2D plane). As of now I am first inserting the points in 2d plane, say if i have to plot point (5, -2, 3) then first I enter point (5, -2) using 'PO' command and then I move this point 3 space up in +ve Z direction using 'MOVE' command. But since I have lot of points to be placed it will be hectic to use this method. And my other problem is that...

2. And once I got success in inserting them, then how can I make a surface passing through these points.

Thanks 

Siddharth Bhardwaj

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

How much experience/training do you have?

You should be able to enter points in 3D space without having to move them.

The 3DMesh command might be what you need.  (but 5 points wouldn't make logical sense)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
sbhardwaj.amu

I am quite a beginner with AutoCAD. Yes by walking little around I am able to enter the points. But still I am unable to generate the surface.
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Attach your dwg file here.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
sbhardwaj.amu

This is the attached file (working points.dwg) containg a set of data points. I need to make a surface as depected in other file (surface contour.dwg). To build the contour I have used spline.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
doni49

If you want to create contours without using C3D, InRoads or something similar then you'll need to manually interpolate them.

Draw lines from 1 point to the nearest point.  Keep doing that until every point is connected to two other points.  This will form triangles.  Now at every place were a line crosses through elevation 100, you draw a 100 contour.  Every location where your a line crosses elevation 110, you draw a 110 contour etc etc.

The more points (and break lines if you have them) the more accurate this will be.  Doing it manually will be a tedious task -- ESPECIALLY if there are a lot of points.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost