AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
OBERDACKER
Message 11 of 50 (753 Views)

Re: Support File Search Path automatically removes locations I'm adding

02-27-2013 06:17 AM in reply to: ZSHS2011

I currently use method 2 but, would like to have a real fix.  I'm considering adding the paths to an ACADDOC.doc.  For this option to be most usefull it would need to reside in a network folder - so i don't have to update and troubleshoot 50+ computers.  My main concern with this ACADDOC solution is if it's in a network folder AutoCAD would have to have that network folder in it's suppor file search path and it would not load if that path was deleted from AutoCAD.  Maybe when I get a few minutes I'll log a case with Autodesk and see if they have anything useful to say.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 12 of 50 (750 Views)

02-27-2013 06:55 AM in reply to: OBERDACKER

Hi,

>> My main concern with this ACADDOC solution is if it's in a network folder AutoCAD

>> would have to have that network folder in it's suppor file search path and it would not load

You can create a local ACADDOC.LSP that starts a LSP from a hardcoded folder from the network. Then you are not depending of how the searchpaths include a network-folder or not. (ok, at the first time you have to install your ACADDOC.LSP on all systems, hopefully you have some network-admin tools that can do that for you).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
OBERDACKER
Message 13 of 50 (731 Views)

03-01-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Good idea.  I'll have to try that.  Unfortunately I do not have direct or easy access to any network-admin tools.  It may be possible to get that access, but I have to figure out how difficult it would be to get that access.

Active Contributor
kevin
Message 14 of 50 (576 Views)

09-03-2013 11:26 AM in reply to: OBERDACKER

Any solutions to this issue yet?

We have three laptops in our department and anytime they are used when not connected to our network - the support folder resets and they lose everything that's kept on the network (plotstyles, acaddoc, etc...)

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 15 of 50 (570 Views)

09-03-2013 11:47 AM in reply to: kevin

kevin wrote:

...anytime they are used when not connected to our network - the support folder resets and they lose everything that's kept on the network (plotstyles, acaddoc, etc...)

Here we use Windows' Offline Files (Make Always Available Offline) to prevent this.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 16 of 50 (560 Views)

09-03-2013 01:09 PM in reply to: kevin

kevin wrote:

We have three laptops in our department and anytime they are used when not connected to our network - the support folder resets and they lose everything that's kept on the network (plotstyles, acaddoc, etc...)

The "Support File Search Path" should not change, however the "Working Support File Search Path" should only reflect paths that are accessible. 

For example, I can go into my Options and add a completely made up path like "T:\mypath\this\is\fake" and it will tell me "Path does not exist. Are you sure you want to use this value?" -- and if I say yes, it will be added to the Support File Search Path, but not the Working Support File Search Path -- and this invalid path will remain there until I remove it. 

So are these three laptops an exception to the rule, meaning.... do you have other laptops that do not behave like this?

Active Contributor
kevin
Message 17 of 50 (553 Views)

09-03-2013 01:32 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

The 3 laptops are the only "mobile" PC's in the department.  All of the other workstations do not have the ability to login with out network connection...

I have the "Support File Search Path" entered correctly - which moves it into the "Working File Search Path".  However, if it is NOT available - it is removed from both the Support and Working options.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 18 of 50 (550 Views)

09-03-2013 01:36 PM in reply to: kevin

kevin wrote:

...the ability to login with out network connection...

Are these 3 users logging in the same way when they are connected as when they are not?  Or are they using different logins (local versus domain/network)?

Contributor
OBERDACKER
Message 19 of 50 (542 Views)

09-03-2013 01:43 PM in reply to: kevin

kevin wrote:

...I have the "Support File Search Path" entered correctly - which moves it into the "Working File Search Path".  However, if it is NOT available - it is removed from both the Support and Working options.

This is what happens to my machines. I am considering creating an acaddoc.lsp that hard codes the path to a *.lsp file on our network which will set the support file search paths.  I hope this will allow the proper support file locations to be used whenever the connection to our network is active, but would switch to the default (C: ) location when it is not available.  If this works like I think it should I will no longer have to restore our default profile (or a backup of a user specific profile, which hardly ever gets made when a user makes changes) to restore the proper network paths.

Active Contributor
kevin
Message 20 of 50 (535 Views)

09-03-2013 02:09 PM in reply to: dmfrazier

I'm not an expert on how our local network is setup (fortune 250 company with 100's of IT people) but when you are in the office - you log in over the network but at the same time - you can log into the computer off line as well.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube