Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successfully installed AutoCAD 2013 on a Windows 8.1, but I cannot use VIEWBASE

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
robertsuhling
394 Views, 4 Replies

Successfully installed AutoCAD 2013 on a Windows 8.1, but I cannot use VIEWBASE

Hello.  I have a question as to how to get base view (I believe command "VIEWBASE") to work in my copy of AutoCAD 2013.  I have it installed on my work and home computer.  The home computer uses Windows 7, and I have no problem with it.  The work computer uses Windows 8.1, and it works out well, mostly.  The biggest problem is that I can't put 3D models on a 2D paper space anymore.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that the answer to this problem is more involved than "just press this button and check this box."  I'm no expert, though, so I'd love to be proven wrong on that point.

I've tried to download the various service packs suggested by other forum posts, but service packs v.1.1 and v.2 for 64-bit systems apparently don't play nicely with Windows 8 or 8.1.  Is there some AutoCAD 2013 hotfix for a windows 8.1-addled computers, or do I have to figure this out some other way?  Apparently, Win8 is compatible with ACAD2013, but I'm reading more and more posts that say otherwise.

(the files were found through the thread found at http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/VIEWBASE-inventor-server-failed-to-load/td-p/45...

I hope someone can help. Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: robertsuhling

2013 is not supported in Win8/8.1: you can't change that reality. Otherwise it seems to work fine for many users.

May I ask why you didn't post a DWG with the problem for all of us to see and follow along with your issue? Please do so now.
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

>> The biggest problem is that I can't put 3D models on a 2D paper space anymore

Besides of that I would also prefer a drawing I have a quite important question: what makes you thinking that _VIEWBASE does not work? What message do you get or what crash appears or is it just "I can't ..." 😉

Please give us more info's!

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 5
robertsuhling
in reply to: pendean

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I was able to use the updated instructions on anther post--the one that I tried and failed to link to in my previous post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015/viewbase-inventor-server-failed-to-load/td-p/45... in order to correct my issue. Fortunate for me that bouwenb continued to help that person even after a fix was accepted. (Post title: Viewbase - inventor server failed to load)

@pendean wrote:
May I ask why you didn't post a DWG with the problem for all of us to see and follow along with your issue? Please do so now.

On a note unrelated to my original question but related to your response, how would I go about posting a DWG? Do you mean some sort of .dwg file? Would this be a screenshot of an AutoCAD .dwg being altered, or is it some sort of log that could be used in diagnostics by a technician? I'm sorry for my ignorance: I didn't see any instructions on how to do what you are asking, nor did I see any forum procedures that told me to do so. How would someone go about recording and then posting this DWG?  If I missed these instructions, please let me know.

After I learn about this DWG process, would you like me to post it in this thread even though my solution came from somewhere else?  I can appreciate the fact that the forum is for everyone's benefit (as evidenced by how bouwenb's post helped me) so I'd like to be helpful in kind.  

Again, I thankfully don't need to know for this particular episode; for sure, however, if I have an issue in the future I would want to follow all rules and procedures that would help my helpers.  Thank you and everyone else who patrols the forum in an effort to help the CAD-challenged.  

Message 5 of 5

Replying to my own reply...

I've been searching the community, and I've seen instances where an actual AutoCAD .dwg was used to explain a situation, as well as the explanation for the original question (as in http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2010-2011-2012/arrays-auto-number/td-p/3548830 )

This must obviously be what the experts were trying to explain to me, and I failed to understand. I usually refrain from opening email attachments, so I suppose that tendency bled through to my forum decorum.

Now I know to attach an AutoCAD file with posts in order to help people answer my questions. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost