AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 1 of 12 (475 Views)
Accepted Solution

Something strange, and it don't look good....

475 Views, 11 Replies
02-28-2013 09:52 AM

Hello, all.

I have a file, that appears to have originated with AutoCAD Civil 3D (though not fully sure). And, it is loaded with ghost elements! Blocks that can't be located, dozens more layers than those I have visible elements on, the whole mess.

And since I can't call GhostBusters, I am calling on you, my fellow boardmembers.

Does anyone know how I can compress files down, and get rid of these ghosts once and for all?

Thanks.

Chris Martin

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 12 (466 Views)

Re: Something strange, and it don't look good....

02-28-2013 10:15 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

I'm assuming you've purged the living..... out of it?

One thing I had a few (many) years back was a weird translation issue that would not let me fully purge a drawing even though there was nothing there... I could erase the entire thing, model space, paper space... everything, and still could not purge it clean.

On a whim one day, I set qtext to on and did a regen.  Lo and behold, thousands of points appeared on the screen.  I did a list on them, and they were empty text entities, on a variety of laters and styles.  EMPTY.  You could edit them and type whatever you wanted and they were.... text!  I erased those, and suddenly purge had a lot more junk to work with.  Cleaned it right up.

Now, I'm not saying this is what you've got... but it can't hurt to give it a look.  It was a translation issue, after all.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 3 of 12 (461 Views)

02-28-2013 10:23 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

have you tried the AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD command?  that should export a version of the drawing that does not have any AEC dependencies or objects/defintions etc.

Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 4 of 12 (439 Views)

02-28-2013 11:32 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

Dear cbenner and JGerth,

Sadly, neither one of your suggestions worked. The QTEXT command did not reveal any new elements, and for some reason AutoCAD 2013 says there is no "AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD" command. Now, if "AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD" is to be run in Civil 3D, then the problem is that I don't have that program. Others in my office, and my company do (which I find disturbing, for I have 3 hates when it comes to CADD: 1) ghost elements, 2) overlap elements, and 3) dots).

Thank you both for your respective inputs.

Chris Martin

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 12 (434 Views)

02-28-2013 11:39 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

It's AECTOACAD command.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 6 of 12 (428 Views)

02-28-2013 11:45 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

my bad,  that command needs to be prefaced with a hyphen,  e.g. -AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD

or Patchy's version -- it's shorter to type  ;-)

Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 7 of 12 (419 Views)

02-28-2013 12:01 PM in reply to: JGerth

Dear Patchy and JGerth,

Thank you both very much. The command(s) did clear away the majority of the extra ghosts. I still have some anonymous block names haunting the scene, but since around 95% of the rest got blown away, I am extremely grateful, and have given you both kudos.

Chris Martin

Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 8 of 12 (405 Views)

02-28-2013 01:36 PM in reply to: Patchy

Hello again, everybody.

Sidebar question on this issue, please. After I performed the AECTOACAD command, I had some text elements that turned into rectangles, even though LIST and PROPERTIES still identify them as text elements. These items of text were visible before the conversion, so were not a problem for me.

Is there a way to fix them, or will I have to replace the text with new elements?

Thank you.

Chris Martin

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 9 of 12 (396 Views)

02-28-2013 01:51 PM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

I think that is the QTEXT command still being "ON".

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 10 of 12 (395 Views)

02-28-2013 01:51 PM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

QTEXT, off. then Regen

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube