11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ramul1955
12355 Views, 11 Replies

Slow regen when switching from paper space to model space

Win 7 64 bit Autocad Map 3d 2014

3.1 Athlon 64 Dual Core with 12GB RAM

I am experiencing very slow regens when switching from paper space to model space. The drawing has viewports that range in scale from a location map of 1":5000' to details of 1":4'. When I'm zoomed out to extents in model space, I can switch to paper space and back to model space with no lag in preformance. However, when I'm zoomed in on one of my 1":4' details, change to paper space, and then change back to model space, I experience a severe preformance degradation. I have to sit and wait for up to 15 minutes staring at a blank screen with a little Windows icon spinning before I can get back to work. During the wait, I checked out the machine in Task Manager Resource Monitor and one of my duel core processor is peged at 100% so I assume the wait is being caused by an Autocad regen. The problem is not drawing spacific as I have experienced the problem in several drawings. I do suspect that it is a machine spacific problem as I have opened several of the drawings on other machines in the office and not experienced the problem on those machines.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
M_Hensley
in reply to: ramul1955

There is a setting that affects layout regens. Under Tools, Options on the System tab look for Layout Regen Options. There are 3 selections there to choose from. Since you have a good amount of RAM I suspect that Cache model tab and all layouts would give you the best performance, but you can try each and see which works best for you.

Message 3 of 12
ramul1955
in reply to: M_Hensley

THANK YOU!
Message 4 of 12
zrogers1
in reply to: ramul1955

Is there a similar solution for Autocad 2015 LT ? Exact same issue with Regen slow between Model / Paper Space

Working on a Dell Precision M3800:

Intel i7-4712HQ

Nvidia Quadro K1100M (2GB GDDR5) (Dell specific Driver HXDT6_WN_9.18.13.4075_A01)

12GB (8GB + 4GB) PC3-12800

Samsung SM814N 512GB SSD

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Message 5 of 12
btmchugh
in reply to: M_Hensley

I just started using the 2016 AutoCAD and it is painfully slow in loading and switching spaces (paper space and model space). I do not see the options you have stated here. Is there another way to do this in the 2016 version or am I just missing it. What "tools" tab are you referenceing?

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
stevev0983
in reply to: btmchugh

Tools is in the top menu bar, which you may not have showing. Either way, just type in Options and it's under the System tab.

Message 7 of 12
btmchugh
in reply to: stevev0983

This is the dialoge box that I get when I go to the systems tab. The layout regen otions are not there. Am I looking in the wrong location or is it different in the 2016 version?

CAD 2016.jpg

Message 8 of 12
stevev0983

It's not different in 2016, but unfortunately it looks like it may not exist in LT based on your screen shot.

Message 9 of 12
btmchugh
in reply to: stevev0983

Then are there any other solutions that you know of to help with very slow transitions between views and model and paper space?

Message 10 of 12
zrogers1

Since I last posted, I have come across several things that might help.

Apparently Autocad 2015 LT has really poor performance when you use a high number of lines for hatches, which can eat up ALL of your RAM (Memory)

There are two commands which might help with that

HPMAXLINES - sets max number of hatch lines that are generated

HPMAXAREAS - sets the max number of hatch areas

VIEWRES - sets the resolution for the current viewport

CACHEMAXTOTALSIZE - sets the maximum total size of all grahpics cache files for the product (which limits the amount of RAM a single autocad file can use)

PURGE - removes unused layers, blocks, etc...

When you attach raster images that can really slow down autocad, and ultimately sometimes the best resort is to save the drawing, close it, and re-open it.

Message 11 of 12
benmaydesign
in reply to: zrogers1

Did you ever have any luck fixing the slow paper-space tab load time?  

I have the same Precision and Quadro K1100M card, with slightly less RAM - so taking quite a while to load each time i switch between tabs

Really only started once I updated to 2017, but also wondering if I imported something unwanted in when I was making my titleblock?

Did you happen to have any luck with any of these recommendations on the thread?

Message 12 of 12
zrogers1
in reply to: benmaydesign

benmaydesign,

I have mitigated the slow regen issue by lowering the 'display resolution' for  'Arc and circle smoothness' and 'segments in a polyline curve', and by working on AutoCAD files that are locally stored instead of on a fileserver 'network drive' (any AutoCAD file over 5 MB in my opinion sees a big performance improvement if on a local drive).

Hope that helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost