Did you mean: 

Simplex Font not printing correctly in PDF

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
bshadrick
6704 Views, 13 Replies

Simplex Font not printing correctly in PDF

When printing from any recent version of AutoCAD 2012-14, the Simplex.shx font prints with peaks that extend beyond the specified height.  It's tough to describe, but any letter with an angled point such as A, V, W, M print with very exagerated angles (see attached sample).  This does not occur when printing a physical copy.

From what I have read (true or not), SHX fonts are really intended as legacy fonts and TTF fonts should be used whenever possible.  With this in mind, I installed Simplex.ttf on my local workstation.  I also placed it in my network font folder, both of which are pathed in AutoCAD options.  The font is available for use in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite and even Autodesk SketchBook Designer, but not in AutoCAD.  I restarted my workstation, as well as closed and opened AutoCAD several times since the font install.  I have verified the font installation and the support file paths in AutoCAD.

All I want to do is print.  Any help with one or both issues would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: bshadrick

Does this only happen with PDF (and not when plotting direct to a hardcopy printer)?

Which PDF driver are you using to plot from AutoCAD?

If that driver gives you an option to "embed" or "capture" fonts, can you test to see if that makes a difference?

Message 3 of 14
braudpat

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Which PDF driver are you using exactly ?

- DWG to PDF.pc3

- PDF Creator

- Acrobat Professional

- etc ...

Yours text entities depend from a Style named for example TT

If you look at this text style named TT, I hope that :

Scale Factor = 1.0

Oblique Angle = 0.0

Are you using Annotative Mode for this style TT ?

The Health, Happy New Year, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
bshadrick
in reply to: dmfrazier

Yes, PDF only, so I assume the issue resides in teh PDF print driver.

Adobe Acrobat Pro X print driver, but the issue occurs with previous version of Acrobat's PDF driver back to at least v.8.

I have created several custom joboptions in the pdf driver to test the various settings, one of which was your suggestion.  By default, all fonts are embedded to avoid issues with print shops not having all of our fonts.  I created a pdf without embedding fonts, but had the same result, thought the file size doubled.

I think the issue has something to do with how the driver interprets or renders the font, which is why I was trying the TT version.

Message 5 of 14
bshadrick
in reply to: braudpat

Acrobat Pro X print driver

Text styles associated with Simplex.shx font are all set to scale factor 1 and oblique angle 0 as you suggest.  No annotative mode.

Message 6 of 14
dmfrazier

"This does not occur when printing a physical copy."

(Sorry for missing this in your first post.)

I can't remember all the details, but after upgrading to 2013 I recall having some "issue" with the simplex.shx font and resolving it by selecting simplex8.shx instead.  If that font is available to you, you might give it a shot.  (If you don't have it and would like to try this as a "work-around", the file is in the (hopefully) attached ZIP.

"I installed Simplex.ttf on my local workstation.  I also placed it in my network font folder, both of which are pathed in AutoCAD options."

Regarding your SHX vs TTF comment, I have never heard or read that TTF are necessarily preferred.  I tend to think they both have their upsides and downsides.  Be that as it may, it sounds like you've done all the right things as far as installing the TTF file in Windows (though I don't think placing a copy in any AutoCAD font folder will have an effect).  You might be comforted (however slightly) to know that I also have the Simplex TTF installed in Windows but cannot select it for a Style in AutoCAD either.  (Maybe that's normal behavior; perhaps someone else can explain.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Message 7 of 14
pendean

For 'pointy' letters on prints/plots, In your plot style table make sure the line join is set to round or miter for all the pens.
Message 8 of 14
bshadrick

dmfrazier - Good idea, but unfortunately the same results.  Also, I have now tried the AutoCAD-provided DWG to PDF.pc3 driver with simlar results.

Wierd about the Simplex.TTF font not being available.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Message 9 of 14
bshadrick
in reply to: pendean

pendean - Good thought as well.  All plot style pens are set butt ends and mitre joins.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 14
dmfrazier

One other (dubious) thought I had was to look at your alternate/substitute font settings.  (I don't see how the setting could affect PDF but not hardcopy, but it may be worth a look.) http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/files/GUID-928DF015-1E04-4CC2-AF1B-0037548DFBAE.htm

And (perhaps finally) would you be able to post a simple sample DWG for others to test?

Message 11 of 14
jggerth

I just want to clear the air regarding the simlpex.ttf font that's bundled with AutoCAD. (as well as romans.ttf, etc.)

While it's a valid TrueType font, and can be used in _any_ Windows program, it's a lousy type face for readability (just try using it on a resume in word....).   That makes sense, since it's an attempt to create an outline definition from a stroked font face. 

The ONLY place autoCAD uses it is in the MText editor, and the ONLY reason it exists is because Windows form cannot display .shx fonts.  It's installed in Windows with the Adesk setup program, and can be totally ignored - in fact it's not possible to even select it as a font in the Styles command - only the shx version appears.  Without the TTF version of the SHX, it would be extremely awkward editing MText with a default Windows font that does not look at all like the stroked font actually used in the Text STYLE.

Batwing text on prints was an old problem with HP plotters, and the HPCONFIG command was the old fix. Dean's suggestion to look at the Line end style and Line Join style is the fix today.  Instead of a separate routine, the ability to set them is part of the ctb/stb plot style.

Message 12 of 14
bshadrick

dmfrazier - Alternate Font is set to Arial.  I tried adding Simplex; Simplex.ttf to the mapping file with no luck.  I even tried deleting Simplex.shx from my system to force it to recognize the TT version with no luck.  Based on the comment above, it seems the Simplex.ttf is not intended for use.

Sample dwg included along with my result.  Similar result with the DWG to PDF.pc3, but with layer control.  This sample contains the modified font Simplex8 per your previous suggestion, and I've also included my ctb file.  Good luck!

Message 13 of 14
pendean

It's your plot style table: change MITER to USE OBJECT'S... instead, and maybe even the end condition.

See sample with your CTB, and a sample with the default OOTB Monochrome CTB.

There is nothing wrong with your file or fonts or any of that other stuff.

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Our .ctb is currently set to use the object's end, join and fill style however the simplex font still has 'bat wings'. I converted the styles to round and it didn't change a thing either. Any other ideas? The client mandates that we use Simplex. They do not have issues plotting. We are plotting using the DWG to PDF.pc3 printer/plotter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost