AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

cturner
Message 1 of 11 (780 Views)

Sheet set manager and .DWT

780 Views, 10 Replies
06-19-2012 02:25 PM

My company just purchased AutoCAD 2013 and I'm in the process of converting our titleblock to work with the sheet set manager. Here are my steps I've taken:

1. Edit existed titleblock to add fields. Example: set our existing project name field to "CurrentSheetSetProjectName"

2. Create a sheet set using the titlbock DWT as my template for new sheets.

3. Typed "Test" into the default project name field that is created with new sheet sets

4. Clicked "Update fields" in the ribbon

After following those steps, I expected the project name to update to "Test". Am I missing something?

All help greatly appreciated!

Eric

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 2 of 11 (775 Views)

Re: Sheet set manager and .DWT

06-19-2012 03:07 PM in reply to: cturner

Fields will not update in the template.  They will only update in the sheets created.  After creating the sheet set, you will need to add a sheet.  Then you should see the field names update.  In the template file, I use the fields outside of the block definition.  Inside the block definition, the only fields that update are those that are part of attributes.

cturner
Message 3 of 11 (756 Views)

06-20-2012 10:20 AM in reply to: dbroad

I tried moving my fields outside the block definition and they still will not update.

I must be missing a critical step?

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 4 of 11 (745 Views)

06-20-2012 01:12 PM in reply to: cturner

Check your fieldupdate settings.  Also, they will not update in the template, but only in the sheets created.  They should show as #### in the template.

cturner
Message 5 of 11 (742 Views)

06-20-2012 01:19 PM in reply to: dbroad

I've checked the field update settings and they are fine. The fields show as #### in the template, but also show that way when I create a new sheet using the template within the sheet set.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 6 of 11 (731 Views)

06-20-2012 05:21 PM in reply to: cturner
Did you edit the block definition in the block editor so that the default values are what you say? I suspect so.

Did you also insert that block into a layout AFTER setting these defaults? I think maybe not.

Easy to check, just edit the layout that has been added to the SSM, edit the block attribute and see what the value is set to.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
cturner
Message 7 of 11 (719 Views)

06-21-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: mathewk

Did you edit the block definition in the block editor so that the default values are what you say?

Yes.

Did you also insert that block into a layout AFTER setting these defaults?
Easy to check, just edit the layout that has been added to the SSM, edit the block attribute and see what the value is set to. 

Yep. :smileysad: I also tried "Manage Block Attributes" and selected a test field and hit "Sync". Still nothing.

Active Contributor
kylei7449
Message 8 of 11 (400 Views)

01-25-2013 03:51 PM in reply to: cturner

I'm trying to learn the SSM and having the same problems. Using our standard titleblock, I've added attributes with fields to correspond to the custom sheet set properties that I created in SSM.

To recap my process thus far:

1)created a new sheet set (a dst), 2)added custom properties-all of which are owned by the "SheetSet." (there are a bunch of them) 3)Right click & opened Properties of the sheet set and edited many of the custom properties-gave them new values. 4)Block editor on titleblock; created all the attributes & placed the fields-which all are referenced to the sheet set's custom properties created earlier. Note: while creating the fields, they either came back with #### or with the new custom property value entered in step 3 (but only for two of them). 6)Saved the block, deleted and reinserted titleblock...bunch of ####s.

The problem is all the fields (but two) show pounds--meaning it can't find the data or it's non-existent. Now for most of the fields, being non-existent is true since there are no values assigned yet. Which is understandable. "But," my real problem are the ones that DO have values that aren't displaying the values I assigned and display the ####'s. Only two of my fields are working correctly, and I don't understand why those two are but not the others? They were all created exactly the same way and their values were added in the Sheet Set Properties dialog box. So right now I've got a useless titleblock with a ton of annoying pound signs.

If anybody can point me to some tutorials with videos that show the whole process of Sheet Sets from creation to management, that would be terrific. I haven't found anything that goes into any great detail yet. I need to see how the process works. Also, how do you suppress printing of the #### symbols since there is no data in the fields? You don't want your titleblock printing out pound signs everywhere. You should only want the fields to print IF they contain data.As I said, I'm trying to learn this so I'm at step one.

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 9 of 11 (394 Views)

01-26-2013 01:42 AM in reply to: cturner
heidi hewitt produced what some consider to be the definitive sheet set guide, just google her and sheet sets
neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 10 of 11 (393 Views)

01-26-2013 01:45 AM in reply to: cturner
apologies... hewett sheets happen is the google search phrase
neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube