Did you mean: 

Several Problems

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
ams71188
853 Views, 38 Replies

Several Problems

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I am running AutoCAD 2014. Computer specs: Intel Core i7 3.40GHz.. 16GB RAM.. Windows 7.. NVIDIA Quadro 600 1GB Graphics Card

Our computer tech seems to think this is a software problem within AutoCad and told me to call and sit on hold until I reached someone at Autodesk.. but I just wanted to post it here to see if anyone else has the same issues. As far as I have seen, nobody else has posted about them. These don't happen in every file, but seem to be getting worse and popping up more often for me.

Problems: See attached screenshot - Sometimes I get these little lines that I have circled in blue. This is the first sign that the file I'm working in is about to take a turn for the worst and the following problems are eventually going to occur at some point.

- My viewcube shuts down and won't move to any of the views that I want to move to.

- 3DOSNAP, OSNAP won't give me the option to snap to corners of 3D objects any longer.

- Objects within a drawing move on their own clear across the workspace, but show that they havent moved when selected. Its hard to explain, so I'm currently looking for a file that had this problem so I can post a screenshot of it. When I zoom extents, it will zoom way out to include these pieces that are way off in space somewhere.

- Last, yet worst problem... When i zoom in close on an object, it gets really really choppy to the point where I cant even continue working in the file. I have to copy it all and paste it into a fresh new file, and even then it doesn't always correct the problem. It's as if I was zooming in very very close to a small piece and with every zoom the piece jumps all over the place... but I'm not close to the object at all.

All of these problems seem to be connected with one another and eventually take place in the same file when it becomes 'corrupted' for lack of a better word. Each problem pops up eventually the longer I work in that file. Then some files don't give me any trouble at all.

If anyone has experiences these/know what the problem can be/have fixed these before.. please let me know!

Thank you!

38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
smbrennan
in reply to: nestly2

For Customer showsings, have you considered a product such as Navisworks? If you haven't, look into it. It's the easiest tool and for what you need, the "learning curve" would only take you an hour to get up to par.

As for Nestly's comment about OSNAP, I've noticed delays in OSNAPs on certain 3D objects when in a Realistic Visual Style. For example, I have structural members with midpoints & end points. In the Realistic style they take awhile to appear, or I can perform the "one-time" snap (by typing in MID or END) and get it quickly, but in 2D Wireframe they come up right away. My hardware accel is turned on. I don't use presspull at all, so I can't speak on that.
Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 22 of 39
Yorx57
in reply to: smbrennan

The problem with objects being "out of position" but their grips in the "correct" position has happened to me again. Attached is a very simple

drawing that is doing this as well as a screen shot showing it (the bottom "box" should be in line with the top).

Message 23 of 39
ams71188
in reply to: Yorx57

smbrennan,

I have not, but I will. Thank you.

Yorx,

When I opened your dwg, the top box was just out of position, grips and all (attached). I can move it back to its correct spot without trouble. Weird.

I know what you're talking about though because this happens to me all the time. If I copy and paste the object, delete the original and replace it with the copy, it solves the problem.

A similar problem I have to this is exporting PDFs from paperspace. Everything will show to be in the correct spot, but when I export a PDF, I lose something, almost as if it was on a separate layer and the layer was turned off for the export. Going back into modelspace, the object is right where it should be. I copy it, delete it and replace with the copy, export PDF again and its fine. Just seems like it was a weird little glitchy part and I had to replace with a copy.

Message 24 of 39
nestly2

Yorx57 wrote:

The problem with objects being "out of position" but their grips in the "correct" position has happened to me again.

Have you ever created any Drawing Views (VIEWBASE command) in the drawing?   I see the drawing has a total editing time of 57hrs, so I assume it's not created from a "clean" template.

Message 25 of 39
ams71188

yorx,

scratch that last post of mine. I selected the top box by accident. I selected the bottom box and got the same result you show in your screenshot.

Message 26 of 39
smbrennan

How are you creating that extrusion? I see the misaligned object on the bottom - but as someone stated I easily "fixed" the view. I wonder if it's a workflow issue and not a graphics issue.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 27 of 39
Yorx57

nestly,

This was a "full" drawing that I erased everything out of to get the file size down so I could attach it. As for the Base Views, yes, in the "original" drawing there would have been Base Views used in the Submittal layout tab.

smbrennan85,

Very simple - rectangle -> extrude!! Nothing fancy, no editing has been done to it (ie. no presspull, no ctrl-move, etc) Yes, it is easly fixed - actually most of the time (not always) if you select the move grip and start moving it, it will "jump" back into position.  The problem is that I have had drawings were 4 to 5 objects have gone out of position and have to go back and re-align them up again!! 

Message 28 of 39
nestly2

Yorx57 wrote:...
...As for the Base Views, yes, in the "original" drawing there would have been Base Views used in the Submittal layout tab...

There are several topics here where Drawing views cause geometry to be displayed in modelspace somewhere other than where it's supposed to be (ie away from it's grips) There's been no resolution that I'm aware of. I would contact Support and send them the drawing.

Message 29 of 39
Yorx57

nestly,

Thank you for that information, I was not aware of the issue with using base views - however - the last time this happened to me there was no base views used - in fact paper space was not used at all, and in that situation, almost all of the geometry went out of position.  So, base views, as documented I can agree is a cause for this, but obviously not the only cause.  Also, there is another user here (2 out of 4 of us so far) that has had this happen - and they have never used base views.  Just as a curious note, one obvious difference between the 2 of us that are experiencing this, and the other 2 who are not is the we are using the "Tabs" and they are not.  Probably just coincidence.

Message 30 of 39
ams71188

not sure if you included me in that 2 of 4... but I am not using base views and also have that problem.

Message 31 of 39
nestly2
in reply to: ams71188

if either or both of you are on subscription open a support case and send them the drawing as well as a link to this thread. If not on subscription give Autodesk feedback from within AutoCAD and/or via you Reseller
Message 32 of 39
Yorx57

ams71188,

Sorry, I was refering to how many of us at work in the office - and I actually have that wrong - there's 6 of us using AutoCAD.  All identical machines with the same video card.  Out of the 6 of us, only 2 of us so far have this happen. Also out of the 6 of us, I am the only one who has used, and still do to a small extent, base views.  The only common denominator with us 2 that have this happen is that we are using the "Tabs".  The other 4 run in "Classic" mode with 110 toolbars all over the place.

nesty,

Yes, our company is on the subscription. Maybe I'll try that, especially for my other issue that is much worse than anything mentioned here. I'm on the trial 2015 and probably will end up going back to 2014 - as much as I hate the new "badges" and other visual crap they have added, there is a definite performance difference between the 2 versions and would like to stay with 2015.

Message 33 of 39
ams71188

I just had this happen to me this morning.. the example file is attached.

Objects moving way off into the distance somewhere, but nowhere to be found. This happens more often when I am grouping 3D solids.

Also Nestly, I am on subscription as well and will look into sending them drawings like this. Thank you.

Message 34 of 39
Yorx57

arms71188,

I actually have never had the part "disappear" like that yet, I have always been able to see it, just not where it was suppose to be.  Good news though, I was able to bring your part back from the "blue no where". It's an (aprrox.) 46.75" x 44" rectangle on layer Object1 that sits on top of the 9 red verticals in the center. I guess we could always make a game out of this - who can find the missing part?? AutoDesk really needs to start fixing bugs instead of adding visual crap in that no one wants.

Message 35 of 39
ams71188

Yorx,

Yep, thats the part that went awol! I agree, they really do.

Message 36 of 39
Yorx57

However, there does seem to be another glitch with that drawing - the grouping of the right side 3 red objects, the group that is producing that huge "group box".  I don't believe this has anything to do with the missing part but is a seperate issue.  I was able to bring the part back which had no effect on that group.

Message 37 of 39
ams71188

Story of my life. Problems are becoming more and more common with my AutoCAD. As I said, once one problem arises, it opens the door for the rest to start occuring. Its only a matter of time before I see all of them pop up in the same file.

I wonder if its possible to talk to Autodesk and get a replacement software altogether? This is crazyness and I shouldn't have to deal with it. I paid the same price as the rest of the (legal) AutoCAD owners in this world... they should make it right.

Message 38 of 39
nestly2

ams71188 wrote:

I wonder if its possible to talk to Autodesk and get a replacement software altogether? This is crazyness and I shouldn't have to deal with it. I paid the same price as the rest of the (legal) AutoCAD owners in this world... they should make it right.

IMO, the problems you're having are not because there's anything wrong with your particular copy of the software, it's because of flaw in the software, and/or something specific to your computer, or your workflow that's causing the flaw to be revealed.

None-the-less, anyone can download (or re-download) AutoCAD for free and run it as a trial for 30 days.  You can plug in your license information at any time and it will be exactly the same as if it were installed from CD / DVD / Thumbdrive.

Alternately, as a Subscription customer (and assuming your Subscripton Manager has granted access), you can download (redownload) AutoCAD from Subscription Center and/or request new physical media and they'll send it to you (the Subscription Manager) for free. 

Again, I don't believe merely reinstalling from a different disk is going to have any affect on the problems, but there's certainly nothing to stop you from doing so if you want to try.

Here's a demo showing how to request new/replacement physical media.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr6092SdVQ

Message 39 of 39
Yorx57

nestly,

I agree that it's not a particular copy.  As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm having (almost) the same issues in both my 2014 and now in the 2015.  However, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with my view cube, yet....

Also, just as a side note, with my 2014, this issue of objects going out of place did not manifest itself unil after MONTHS of using the software. After it started happening though, it gradually became more and more frequent.  Unfortunately, I cannot recall anymore when it started - quite possibly could have been after an update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost