Did you mean: 

Several Problems

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
Anonymous
854 Views, 38 Replies

Several Problems

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I am running AutoCAD 2014. Computer specs: Intel Core i7 3.40GHz.. 16GB RAM.. Windows 7.. NVIDIA Quadro 600 1GB Graphics Card

Our computer tech seems to think this is a software problem within AutoCad and told me to call and sit on hold until I reached someone at Autodesk.. but I just wanted to post it here to see if anyone else has the same issues. As far as I have seen, nobody else has posted about them. These don't happen in every file, but seem to be getting worse and popping up more often for me.

Problems: See attached screenshot - Sometimes I get these little lines that I have circled in blue. This is the first sign that the file I'm working in is about to take a turn for the worst and the following problems are eventually going to occur at some point.

- My viewcube shuts down and won't move to any of the views that I want to move to.

- 3DOSNAP, OSNAP won't give me the option to snap to corners of 3D objects any longer.

- Objects within a drawing move on their own clear across the workspace, but show that they havent moved when selected. Its hard to explain, so I'm currently looking for a file that had this problem so I can post a screenshot of it. When I zoom extents, it will zoom way out to include these pieces that are way off in space somewhere.

- Last, yet worst problem... When i zoom in close on an object, it gets really really choppy to the point where I cant even continue working in the file. I have to copy it all and paste it into a fresh new file, and even then it doesn't always correct the problem. It's as if I was zooming in very very close to a small piece and with every zoom the piece jumps all over the place... but I'm not close to the object at all.

All of these problems seem to be connected with one another and eventually take place in the same file when it becomes 'corrupted' for lack of a better word. Each problem pops up eventually the longer I work in that file. Then some files don't give me any trouble at all.

If anyone has experiences these/know what the problem can be/have fixed these before.. please let me know!

Thank you!

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2iDjvejY4&feature=youtu.be

This link shows a video I made of my choppy zooming/panning problem.

I start out zooming extents then zoom in one mouse wheel turn at a time.. you can see how choppy it gets.

I then pan and move my mouse straight to the right very slowly.

As you can see, this would get annoying pretty quickly. HELP!

Message 3 of 39
Bob_Zurunkle

I am no expert on this, but from years of reading posts, I'd guess you may be having issues related to your graphics card. Is your hardware acceleration on, or off? Whichever it is, try the opposite. Hopefully someone will be along with better advice soon...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thanks Bob,

I'm not sure where my hardware acceleration stands, if its on or off. My current display driver doesn't allow me to change the settings, so I don't know if that wouldve fixed my problem or not.

Message 5 of 39
nestly2

Most likely the problems are all related to a video driver setting or a video driver problem. 

Use the "Graphics Hardware" option in section #1 to check for an appropriate video driver.  -->  Find Recommended Hardware

Similar topic --> http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Mystery-Lines/m-p/3748566/highlight/true#M9976

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous

Ams71188 - actually have almost all of the exact same problems. In 2014, my view cube would stop working quite frequently - sometimes switching to paper space and then back would fix it, alot of times it wouldn't. It also likes to disappear frequently. On 2015 it doesn't seem to happen quite as often, but still does. The OSNAP's - yep I have the same here, I found the worst is in paper space when using BASEVIEW's, but have it happen in model space also. Objects out of position - yep that too!! Actually, that just started not too long and seems to be getting worse - the object is displayed out of position, but if you click on it the grips are in the correct position - happening on my 2015 also! I have just upgraded my graphics driver and like you, I am also on the NVIDIA Quadro 600.
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous

Yorx,

Everything you've explained has definitely happened to me. Our common denominator is the graphics card, so maybe that's the culprit. I'm going to do a little more research, try what nestly posted earlier and then try to swap cards and see what happens.

Thanks for your feedback!
Message 8 of 39
BeKirra

"Problems: See attached screenshot - Sometimes I get these little lines that I have circled in blue..."

I guess that your visual style "VScurrent" is set to "SKetchy".

If so, change it to "Hidden".

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: BeKirra

BeKirra,

My visual style is Realistic. Normally I don't see these lines, but when I do I know that the file I'm working in is about to have problems. The little lines are the first sign of trouble. Eventually all of the other problems I listed above will start happening one by one.

I am going to work on the graphic card driver this morning and see what happens. I will update after that.

Message 10 of 39
Anonymous

Updating my graphics driver didn't help any of the problems, although even after updating it, I still get a failed test - see attached.

So far, I am seein two areas that the problem could exist - Graphics card, or AutoCAD software itself.

As Yorx explained earlier, he was having similar problems in both 2014 and 2015, and he has the same NVIDIA Quadro 600 graphics card as I do. I find it odd that he would have problems in two different softwares. There's a chance he got unlucky and happened to get two troublesome softwares, but its unlikely. I am starting to lean towards it being a graphics issue. Any thoughts?

Message 11 of 39
pendean

Assuming all of this really is vid card related.... You (and the other user) may be pushing your video card to an extreme that the test of us are not: it happens, we all don't work alike in the program.
I'm not having these issues and I have the same video card: but I'm not using "realistic" visual style except when I need it briefly.

There are better video cards if that is a constant need for you. I'm sure others here can recommend them.

If you and your IT fellow only want Autidesk to fix it, you might have to wait several versions in the future for it (just being realistic, ask any experienced AutoCAD user around here about that).

Good luck.
Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Pendean,

Thanks for the reply.

You could be right, I draw in realistic view 90% of the time. Most of the things I draw would become chaotic if drawn in wireframe, so there's really no choice there. Maybe this is just pushing it to it's limits and I would need to look into something more powerful.

Good to hear that you have the same card and aren't having these problems though. Thank you.

Message 13 of 39
CAD_Craig

@Anonymous wrote:

Pendean,

Thanks for the reply.

You could be right, I draw in realistic view 90% of the time. Most of the things I draw would become chaotic if drawn in wireframe, so there's really no choice there. Maybe this is just pushing it to it's limits and I would need to look into something more powerful.

Good to hear that you have the same card and aren't having these problems though. Thank you.

I find that the "shaded" and "x-ray" visual styles work well for me when wireframe becomes too confusing, and they seem to be less taxing on the graphics card than "realistic" as well.

Message 14 of 39
nestly2

The screenshot you posted show the Autodesk report for a card/driver, but are you certain Hardware Acceleration is enabled and you're using that driver? (actually I'm pretty sure the extra lines will disappear if Hardware Acceleration is disabled but I'm not suggesting that as a "solution")  The tune log (3DCONFIG) should indicate this.  In either case, "Certified"  doesn't necessarily mean the driver won't still have a conflict with some other hardware/software component on the computer. IMO, the extra lines are almost certainly related to the video subsystem.

Here's a few more similar topics for reference

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Visual-Error-Lines-quot-streaking-quot-from-UCS...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/And-these-lines-suddenly-appeared/m-p/4872242/h...

Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Just for the record, I actually NEVER draw in any of the "visual" styles - I'm always in 2D wireframe. 

Some of the issues I can see being the video card/driver - but some of them I can't.  For example,

when I lose my 3D snap abilities, my 2D will still work, which to me suggestest an AutoCAD issue.

Same thing when the view cube stops working - it is still there, and will still "move" according to

the view (when changed by other means), but will not accept/see the "click event" anymore. Clicking

on lines/objects in the drawing still works fine, so again in my opion, that is an AutoCAD issue. I'm also

having another issue which wasn't mentioned.  I have my "preview select" (or as us old timers call it - the 

christmas tree effect) turned off.  If I use the "Presspull" command too many times in a row it will turn this

back on!! I then have to go into options and shut it back off. Very annoying!!

Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Nestly,

I'm unsure of how to turn hardware acceleration on or off. See attachment - I get this far, but an unable to click the button to make that change.

Also attached is my performance tuner log from the 3DCONFIG command.

Once we get into this type of stuff, I'm useless. I have no idea what I'm really looking at. Sorry!

In the similar topics you have posted, this isn't my current problem. I'll bet they are related, but this isn't what I'm dealing with right now. In the past, I have run into that problem as well with the UCS and 2D drawings getting additional lines attached to them. Right now my problem is being able to see lines and whats going on behind the 3D solid while in realistic view. Its like a part x-ray view/part realistic view.

Message 17 of 39
smbrennan

In the lower right hand corner of your AutoCAD window, you'll notice a little odometer-looking symbol (yours is in Orange - easily spottable). If you right click on that, there are two options. Hardware Acceleration & Adaptive Degradation. I have both "checked." I still get similar issues - and for me it only really happens in really busy 3D models and I'm doing a lot of moving around. I've tried to limit my 3D orbits as much as I can. Obviously sometimes you can't help but do it.
Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 18 of 39
Anonymous

Yorx,

Now that you metion it, I have been dealing with that issue as well - to an extent. I've never fiddled with the preview selection until just now, but have noticed it has been turning itself on and off. Occationally I start a new drawing and it is enabled... sometimes not.. sometimes it will turn on in the middle of a drawing. I never knew what it was called or how to control it until now... I just enjoyed it while it lasted until it decided to go away again.

I use presspull quite a bit and deal with this problem as well. Add it to the list!

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: smbrennan

smbrennan,

Thank you!!!! I just turned hardware acceleration on and it got rid of those xray effects.

I re-opened the file I took a video of in my second post here and turned on hardware acceleration, but it didn't fix any of those problems. I do orbit quite a bit inside of busy 3D models and thats where I too see the problems arise. Its tough to limit on my end because I constantly have clients with me asking to see models from all different views.

Thank you for your help!

Message 20 of 39
nestly2

With Hardware acceleration off, you weren't using the all the good stuff in your Quadro.  You may find that your OSNAP and PRESSPULL issues go away now as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost