Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting objects

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
warruda
507 Views, 15 Replies

Selecting objects

I work a lot with 3D but I am fing problems with Autocad 2014.

When working in 3d mode I find very difficult to select certain objects. For instance, If I draw a painting on a wall, I cannot select theit when the wall is in front of it in the isometric view I am working. I have to either move the wall of put it in a frozen layer in order to make changes in the painting. This has made my work much harder!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: warruda

How do you "draw a painting on a wall"?
Message 3 of 16
steve216586

Look into using the ORBIT command instead fo the preset views. You will be able to freely orbit and pan throughout the model.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 16
jggerth1
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
How do you "draw a painting on a wall"?

Brushes and oil paints usually, alhtough some people prefer watercolors....

Message 5 of 16
pendean
in reply to: jggerth1

🙂
Message 6 of 16
dgorsman
in reply to: steve216586

And potentially consider using a wireframe view instead of a rendered one.  AutoCAD isn't good at mind reading - it won't know if you wan to select "through" something (or X of several somethings) that is/are in front.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 16
warruda
in reply to: steve216586

Thanks Steve but the problem is somewhere else!

Message 8 of 16
warruda
in reply to: jggerth1

I meant a hanging pictue, not painting directly on the wall!
Message 9 of 16
pendean

Are you using ORBIT to move around your file? I get the impression you are not, just in one static view and trying to do everything from there.
Message 10 of 16
warruda
in reply to: dgorsman

I always draw using wireframe. I only render or shade to take a look at how the drawing looks like. Thanks anyway...
Message 11 of 16
t0m34

there is such helpful function, named selection cycling, it is one of status toggles. You can activate it by combination ctrl+w if I remember well. It allows You to select object hidden behind the other

Message 12 of 16
johnrmoore

You can also set up multiple viewports in model space. This allows you to isolate certain views of your drawing or model. The really cool thing about this feature is that you can, for instance, start drawing a line in one viewport, and then extend it directly into the next viewport to connect it to an object in that section of your drawing. This is especially useful for 3D, and is far better than just changing your drawing to a wireframe view; it provides 100% precision.  As far as the command I forget, but a simple search of "viewports" in AUTOCAD Help (f1) will definitely show you how. Hope that helps.

Message 13 of 16
GrantsPirate

Experiment with CULLINGOBJ and CULLINGOBJSELECTION variables, start with them both at 0.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 14 of 16
warruda
in reply to: t0m34

Thanks, but it didn't work!

Message 15 of 16
steve216586

I cannot repeat your problem while using wireframe mode. I created a cube. Did a shell of the cube so everything is enclosed like you would have with walls, floor, ceiling. I placed an extruded rectangle on the inside plane, "wall", of the cube. I can select the rectangle with no problems. If the "painting" isn't overlaying other lines, there is no reason you cannot select it due to a "wall" being "in front" of the painting. The only time I have difficulty selecting the rectangle is when I have the Visual Style on a rendered style, such as Conceptual or Shaded. Post your drawing so we can see this problem ourselves. It is hard to diagnose a problem if we can't reproduce it.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 16 of 16
johnrmoore

Okay, so if you refer to my original suggestion, I will explain further. In model space, go to the view tab, and then select "Viewport Configuration." This allows you to have multiple views of your model, each with its own viewing angle. It's like having multiple screens to work with; you can even start a feature in one viewport, and continue it into the next one, even if the view are not coplanar. You can have up to 64 different viewports in one model space. These type of viewports are not to be mistaken for the type you use in paper space.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost