Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See in which file a dwg is inserted as xref?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
961 Views, 7 Replies

See in which file a dwg is inserted as xref?

Hello,

Is it possible to see in which files a dwg is inserted in as an xref? In a project I'm working om, there is a lot of 'junk-dwg's'. I must clean up the project-folder, but ofcourse, I don't want to mess up the drawings with xrefs in it that are used. So, if i can see which dwg's are used as xref, I can clean up a lot of unneccesary dwg's in the xref-folder.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

sorry, no, there is no function for that in AutoCAD.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
darawork

Typing xr into the command line will show you a dialogue box with a list of current xrefs in the drawing you have open, from there you can check their statuses.

But if you want to track which dwgs a particular xref is used in, like tracking a dwg of a component that could be used in hundreds of files... hrmmm

Try going to the windows start menu -> All programs -> Autodesk -> AutoCad[version here] -> Reference Manager.

Add as much dwg files as you dare into the application and then export an .xml report to your desktop.

When you open the .xml file you can press [ctrl]+[F] and do a search for the Xref dwg name you are looking for.

I hope this might work, I've never really used the Reference Manager application before. But it looks handy enough.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 8
jggerth

The search funtions in Design Center will do that.  Just set the "look for" to XREF and let it go.

Message 5 of 8
abubakars
in reply to: jggerth

Here is another way of finding the presence of xref from a set of files using the free BatchInDatabase

1. load all the drawing files which are are to be searched for the reference into batch

2. Add the command "Xref-Is Referenced" which searches through drawings for the presence of a specified drawing reference and add the resulting file path is added to external list.

Search can be done either by name or by its full path (path and filename)

Search can be done including the in the child xref and the xref status (loaded, uloanded)

cmt_BID_Xref-Is Referenced.png

Message 6 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi JGerth,

wow, that's cool, didn't know that (yet)!

THX, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try the different solutions next Tuesday when I'm back in the office.

Thanks

Lineke
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks all!

THe search funtions in Design Center did what I wanted.

With kind regards,

Lineke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost