Did you mean: 

STL Files from AutoCAD for 3D printers?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Drafter1981
16336 Views, 7 Replies

STL Files from AutoCAD for 3D printers?

O.K….1st of all I want to say thanks again to Patchy, benedictos.virgilio, & Yorx57, for pointing me in the right direction on the post 02-11-2014 regarding creating Odd Shape cones made with loft or helix. That being said, here is my new dilemma:

The 3D files I have created DO NOT seem to convert properly into other usable files from AutoCAD. I have been told the best way to get these files “Fabricated” is to do a direct export from AutoCAD *.DWG files to *.STL files, for 3D Printing. I sent the files over (“CONVERTED”) however, it seems the export, or conversion is not a clean or workable file.

Assignment01-3D-Volcano.png

The export files states these are *.STL however the contact person I’ve been sending files to cannot access or open these files. Am I missing a step here or perhaps do I need some “ADD-ON” from Autodesk? As usual any information or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Drafter1981

You do not need any add-on.

It is difficult to make CAD diagnosis from pretty pictures (rather than actual dwg files), but my guess from the screen capture is that you have modeled as a surface body rather than as a solid body (run List or Properties to check).

AutoCAD must have a solid body to stlout an stl file.

You might attach the dwg file here, and if you confirm that is is solid - attach the stl file here as well (zip it first).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
JDMather

@Drafter1981 wrote:

I sent the files over (“CONVERTED”) however, it seems the export, or conversion is not a clean or workable file.

I do not know what this means.  Do you mean you converted a surface body to a solid body?  The AutoCAD command is stlout.

Follow the command line - what does it say?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

What is the size of the resultant stl?

The resolution of the stl can also be changed, but first we need to verify that you have a manifold solid body.

Message 5 of 8
Drafter1981

JD,

(Hope you don't mind JD) Thanks for your information and sorry for not getting back to you any sooner. As usual, on my end I had no idea if any of my post were getting through, (I must be the only one getting these input glitches). Anyway,  I will review the information you provided.

I also attached what I thought was the STL file but apparently not.

Thanks again,

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@Drafter1981 wrote:

The export files states these are *.STL however the contact person I’ve been sending files to cannot access or open these files.

Your stl file works fine here.

What software is your contact person using?

Did you send them the zipped stl?

Do they know how to extract a zipped file?

Message 7 of 8
Milt-Fitz

JD,

Thanks again!

After your review of the files, several other 3D companies also comfirmed that the files I converted / created will work.

I'm still in the process of getting prices and if I find someone that is resonable I will get this printed just to say

"Yes, We can do that"!!!

Thanks again for your input!!!

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 8 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

Just make sure your units are correct.

Tell them the bounding box size.

You should check -dwgunits in the dwg (with the dash - )

and you should check the stlout Options units to make sure the output units match your intended design units.

I have seen a lot of models printed wrong size because of mis-matched units (in, mm, cm).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost