SOLID WARPING

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CADEngr2014
1360 Views, 7 Replies

SOLID WARPING

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD 2013.

I have a solid that is conical in shape and another that is planar, that I want to bend over the conical shape.  Is there a way to warp a solid to conform to the shape of another solid?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: CADEngr2014

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
CADEngr2014
in reply to: JDMather

File is attached.

Message 4 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

Hi There,

We would need more information to help you. Like JD requested please attach your drawing so we could have a look at it.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 8
CADEngr2014
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn,

Just attached a file with solids under question, previous response.  Let me know if there is anything more you will need.

Message 6 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

Sorry we must have responded at the exact same time because I did not see that when I was posting. I will quickly have a look at your part.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 7 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Please have a look at this link: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?40021-Wrap-3D-image

There is a tool in Inventor to do Exactly what you are looking for. But only ones I can think of in AutoCAD in imprint and Extrude.

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

First I will explain  a "fudge", then I will explain the correct way.

In AutoCAD Extrude the "paw" deeper.  Create a conical surface at the desired offset from the existing red cone.

Use the Slice with surface option to cut the paw.  Then add the fillets. (Repeat on the inside if you want separate from the red cone.)

This is a fudge though, not a real wrap.

You could get closer with a bit more work involving Imprint, Explode and Thicken, but still not really a "wrap".

If your design intent is for the paw to be flush - then use the Imprint command and the Color Faces, but becuase you have fillets - I assume you don't want it flush.

Now the right way -

if you are a student, you can download a free license of Autodesk Inventor and use the Emboss - Wrap to Face to wrap the design around conical face.  http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

If you are going to continue to use AutoCAD for something like this - I recommend setting delobj=0 and preserving your profile geometry on a hidden layer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost