1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
CADEngr2014
271 Views, 1 Reply

SOLID MODELING

Hello,

I am using ACAD 2013.

I am new to solid modeling and have a basic question.  With my limited understanding, I believe that the UCS needs to be set to work on a particular plane.  However, I notice that the direction of "Z" axis does not appear to correspond to the cube in the upper right corner of my screen.  Also, sometimes I can get a dimension or select a solid component and get a properties length and sometimes not.  I believe I am not selecting the plane correctly as indicated by the disconnect between the cube and the UCS.  What is the workflow when working with the UCS and solid modeling so can work efficiently?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: CADEngr2014

Normally you work on a 2D plane to create profiles for Extruding, Sweeping, Presspull, Loft. 
You set the current 2D drawing plane (XY) with the UCS command.
I would not worry about the names on the View Cube, just pay attention to the XY (and Z) of the UCS.

As you get experience you might want to use DUCS (Dynamic UCS) which automatically changes the ucs for you as you scrub existing geometry.

The master of 3D must first master the UCS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost