Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHX file embedded in copy / paste

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dwillrich
6720 Views, 16 Replies

SHX file embedded in copy / paste

If I copy a single line from a file then paste it into a new file with nothing in it and save, I end up with a 3 or 4 meg file.  I noticed when I paste the line into the new drawing, I get the following message over and over:

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [OA_Edina.shx].
Substituting [simplex.shx] for [OA_2007.shx].

We have files that are 20 or 30 meg that should only be 1 or 2 meg.  Purge and audit in the .dwg does not help.  One way to fix it is to dxfout then purge and audit the .dxf file, then save back to .dwg.  The audit typically finds tens of thousands of errors.  This process takes a long time and the problem comes back as soon as someone copies something into the file.  We need a more permanent fix.

Thoughts?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: dwillrich

Hi,

>> If I copy a single line from a file then paste it into a new file with nothing in it

Are you speaking about clean files here (based on original AutoCAD-template files) or are you using your own templates?

>> The audit typically finds tens of thousands of errors

And what errors are these?

Are you running any applications on top of AutoCAD or are you working with drawings that were created by any vertical products like ACA, MEP, MECH, C3D, ...? If so you can try command _-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD (that destroys AEC-objects to plain AutoCAD geometry types, so handle that carefully) and verify the drawing sizes then.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 17
dwillrich
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I am using a clean new file.  I select "Open with no Template - Imperial"

Errors include:

AcDbDictionary(45B2E)
        plan01.dgn-Compound-66279 ePermanentlyErased    Delete Entry

AcDbDictionary(54FE7)    DGNLSDEF ePermanentlyErased    Delete Entry

The numbers change but the majority of the error message is the same.

We use AutoCAd out of the box with no add ons.  We do have consultants that use add ons.

Message 4 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> plan01.dgn-Compound-66279 ePermanentlyErased

Opening a new drawing and _AUDIT results in errors ....? WOW.

Seriously: if a DGN is referenced then my guess is you aren't working on a clean template or there is some automatism that reacts on document-open or so.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 17
dwillrich
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>> plan01.dgn-Compound-66279 ePermanentlyErased

This happend when I did the process on an exterior elevation. 

When I do the process to the file with just the line I only get

AcDbDictionary(15B8F)    DGNLSDEF ePermanentlyErased    Delete Entry

Message 6 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> When I do the process to the file with just the line I only get

If you create a new drawing, based on an origninal, not modified AutoCAD template, then you draw a line, you should never ever get an error from _AUDIT.

If you get an error after just drawing one line in a new drawing then you might have:

- a template that is not error free (modified then at least)

- a tool/plugin/application running on top of AutoCAD that created that dictionary entries

- used a line command, that is overridden by an tool/plugin/application

Let's start that you compare the options I listed, you also can upload such an empty drawing with just one line here (but I guess that will not help that much as we may not be able to reproduce how that dictionary-item was created).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 17
jggerth1

Try this as a test....  while in a drawing, type FILEDIA, and set it to zero.

then, type in ._NEW, and at the prompt for template enter a .   (a period, full stop, etc)

type DBMOD, and if the response is NOT a zero, something in your startup routines (lsp, arx, mnl) is adding poor information to that file as it's created.

If the response to DBMOD is 0, run AUDIT on that blank drawing, and let us know the results

(don't forget to set FILEDIA back to 1 afterwards!!)

Message 8 of 17
dwillrich
in reply to: jggerth1

DBMOD was 0.  Here is a copy of what the audit turned up.

DBMOD = 0 (read only) Command: audit

Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] <N>: y

Auditing Header

Auditing Tables

Auditing Entities Pass 1

Pass 1 100     objects audited Auditing Entities Pass 2

Pass 2 100     objects audited Auditing Blocks

1       Blocks audited

Auditing AcDsRecords

Total errors found 0 fixed 0

Erased 0 objects

I went ahead and did a copy paste of a line from a problem file into this new file I created going through your process and got the same results.  This message repaeted about a hundred times:

Substituting [simplex.shx] for [OA_2007.shx].
Substituting [simplex.shx] for [OA_Edina.shx].

I saved this file with a single line it it and the file size is 3,764KB

If I take that file with the single line and DXFOUT, the file size becomes 20,933KB.

A purge of this dxf file results in purging of the following:

Block *A22, Block *A33, Block *A44, Block *A55, Block *A66, Block *A77, Block *A88, Block *A99, Block *A1010, Block *A1111, etc up to some unknown number, plus several hundred line types that had names from other projects.  A word file of everything purged is attached.

An audit resulted in 26,701 errors being fixed.

A word document of the fixed items is attached.

I save the dxf file as a dwg and the file size is 18KB

Message 9 of 17
jggerth1

Well, it's apparent that someone in your operation thinks that BINDing Xref's is the thing to do.  It's rarely the best thing to do, so the next step would be to talk to _everyone_ and get them to stop binding everything, and if there is a compelling need to bind, look at either the Insert option, or take the time to clean up the cruft binding creates. 

Message 10 of 17
KramerDesignLLC

I"m hoping you found a permanent solution because I"m having the same exact problem. 

Allow me to throw a few more twists into this: If I have a 'corrupted' file open and the Properties pallet is closed, I can click on any object (including text or mtext) and there is no slow-down in AutoCAD.  But if the Properties pallet is open (docked or not), clicking on text or mtext creates a 5 second delay.  Clicking on anything else creates no delay.  So I'm convinced it's something to do with OA_Edina.shx and AO_2007.shx.

As stated by dwillrich, filesize is very bloated and if I copy a single line (no text)  from a corrupt file and paste it into a clean file, the previously clean file becomes corrupt.

AutoCAD 14, HydraCAD, Windows 7 Pro,

Thanks in advance!

Message 11 of 17
rkmcswain

I briefly scanned this thread, but I don't see any DWG files attached.

Can someone attached one of these bloated DWG files?

Probably best to put it in a ZIP file.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 17
KramerDesignLLC
in reply to: rkmcswain

Attached is a 'corrupt' file.  I took the liberty of deleting everything except 1 line and 1 mtext, purged all, and then audited.  File size is about 5 meg.  Also worth noting, the audit reported "154,600 objects audited."  There's a lot of hidden something in there.

Message 13 of 17

Hi,

with AutoCAD 2015 you can clean up that using command _PURGE with option "Automatically purge orphaned data"

If you have AutoCAD 2013 or 2014 you can use that tools to get rid of the linetypes: >>>click<<<

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 17
rkmcswain
in reply to: KramerDesignLLC

The first thing I noticed is it suffers from the DGN linetype bloat issue

"DGNPURGE" 
Purged 2596 unreferenced complex linetype records (of 2596).
Purged 27856 unreferenced strokes (of 27856).

After that, the DWG is ±390k

Message 15 of 17

Thanks, rkmcswain.

I downloaded and installed the 'hotfix', but AutoCAD didn't want to run the
DgnLsPure.dll file - "operation not supported". I'm sure there's a
work-a-round for that, but I also learned that I'll be able to upgrade to
AutoCAD 15 in approx 2 weeks (when my piggy-back software issues a new
version compatible with v15). So rather than battle this thing, I'll be
patient a bit longer and allow v15 to take care of it for me.
Message 16 of 17
KramerDesignLLC
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks, rkmcswain.

When I upgrade to AutoCAD 15 in 2 weeks or so, I'll 'DGNPURGE' all my
bloated drawings.
Message 17 of 17
rkmcswain
in reply to: KramerDesignLLC

When I upgrade to AutoCAD 15 in 2 weeks or so, I'll 'DGNPURGE' all my
bloated drawings.

You might try and get the fix installed across all users (if you are in a workgroup environment) because the most helpful part of the fix is that once installed, copy+paste will no longer spread the bloat. In the meantime, without this fix the bloat problem spreads like a virus. We had it spread around here like wildfire before the fix was out....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost