Did you mean: 

Remove all of a block's attribute

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jlamber
63354 Views, 10 Replies

Remove all of a block's attribute

I have a several drawings from an outside source.   There are blocks in the drawing which I can not remove the attributes.   I have tried exploding, erasing, and redefining block.   This doesn't seem to remove all the attributes.   That is I erase all the attritube that I can see while editing in place.   When I save new defintion I have it replace existing block.    One attribute remains.  

I have tried to use Battman and resync.   It allows me to remove  all the attributes except one.    Point is, I would like to keep the current blocks cleaned up in the drawing without having to go to each and put a new block and remove the old.    Not sure of the origin of these blocks.   I believe they came from an AutoDesk AEC source and may have been XREF into drawing.

Jim

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: jlamber

I did the following:

1. Saved and opened your drawing

2. Used BEDIT on each block erasing existing attributes

3. Inserted another attributed block into the file

4. Ran the ATTSYNC command on each of your blocks

5. Attributes were removed from existing insertions

I had to insert another attributed block (step 3) beacuse ATTSYNC won't run if there are no attributed block definitions.

Message 3 of 11
jlamber
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Jason,

Thank you for the reply.    I was able to use Battman and remove all but one attribute.   I was able to edit that remaining attritute to invisible and set text and layer it so that it doesn't show.    I then used sync to update other of the same block.

Do you know if there is away to truely remove the attribute from the block?

Jim

Message 4 of 11
Jason.Piercey

You're welcome, Jim.  Did you try and follow the steps I outlined?  Those steps will remove the attributes.
Message 5 of 11
pendean

If you only want to do it your way and not the recommended there will always be 'one' left behind: so you want to be careful the one you leave behind is not visible.
Message 6 of 11
jlamber

Again thank you Jason.    Dean's comment made me go back and very carefully do the steps as you outlined.   I read step 3 in your note but didn't quite grasp what was happening,  even with your comment warning about ATTSYNC not running (if there was no other attribute block in the file).  

Dean thank you for reinforcing that I wasn't paying attention.

I'm the proud owner of some cleaned up drawings.

Jim

Message 7 of 11
manori2006

Thank you....

Message 8 of 11
gonecrawfishin
in reply to: pendean

I ended up just going into bedit and doing a saveas in order to get rid of the last attribute. Purge the old block and run with the new one. 

Message 9 of 11
luluHJQX4
in reply to: gonecrawfishin

Since the ATTSYNC command will only run if there's a attribute on the drawing. You may want to add a dummy block with a attribute. Run the command ATTSYNC one more time and that should remove all the attribute. You then will want to purge the dummy block you created. That will take care of that one attribute that's testing your patience. 

Message 10 of 11
cadffm
in reply to: luluHJQX4

To complement and correct

"Since the ATTSYNC command will only run if there's a attribute  Blockdefinition with a attributdefiniton in the drawing (ATTDEF)."

And then you have to use the selection option of attsync, because the name option checks each blockdefinition for attributdefinition before.

Without attributdefinitions -> no attsync for the blockreferences of this block.

But the selection-option of attsync command do not the previuous-(and totally stupid)-check.

a) You need one blockdefinition with a attributdefinition

b) then use selection-option instead of the name-option of attsync.

- Sebastian -
Message 11 of 11
niekS68RT
in reply to: gonecrawfishin

Thank you @gonecrawfishin , this tip finally worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost