AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
jamied2000
Message 1 of 6 (176 Views)

Redefine Block Error

176 Views, 5 Replies
12-12-2012 06:16 AM

I am trying to edit a description of a block and by following what is in the help it gives me an error.  See attached jpeg for error message.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 6 (167 Views)

Re: Redefine Block Error

12-12-2012 06:52 AM in reply to: jamied2000

I'm going to make some assumptions about what occurred prior to the error.  It looks like you've inserted a "block" (a DWG file) which contains a (nested) block definition within it that has the same name as the DWG file.

You can go into the original DWG and rename the block definition, or you can rename the DWG before attempting to insert it into another DWG.

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 3 of 6 (159 Views)

12-12-2012 07:36 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

Spot on dm .... if the OP makes a block called "kitchensink" and saves it as an external dwg file (as in a block library or whatever) called "kitchensink.dwg"  it will give this error.  Been there ... done that.  :smileyfrustrated:

Best avenue of approach to fix that is to navigate to the file in Win Explorer and rename the dwg file containing the block to "kitchen_sink.dwg" or whatever suits yer fancy.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 4 of 6 (156 Views)

12-12-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: drjohn

Thanks.

And, for the OP, another option I thought of since my first response is to insert the DWG "exploded".  When a DWG file is inserted into another DWG "unexploded", AutoCAD wants to use the DWG filename as the name of a "new" block definition it creates during the insertion.  If that name is already in use by a block defined in the current DWG (or even in the DWG that is being inserted), you get the "circular reference" error.  Inserting the DWG "exploded" skips the attempt to create a "new" block definition, avoiding the conflict between the DWG name and the internal block name.

It's been my experience that most AutoCAD users learn this "by mistake" (which may be the best way to learn it).  But no matter how it's learned, it's a very useful thing to understand.

Distinguished Contributor
jamied2000
Message 5 of 6 (151 Views)

12-12-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

I went into the  block itself and changed all the text over to mtext and it now redefined the block so i could put a description in it.  But there were no blocks in the block.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 6 of 6 (146 Views)

12-12-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: jamied2000

Now I'm just confused...:smileyfrustrated:

As long as it's "problem solved", then I guess I can live with it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube