Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster image clip problem

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
albionpjl
2828 Views, 12 Replies

Raster image clip problem

I have a biggish problem when using the raster image clip command.

I right click on the raster, select image and then click. Yes for a new boundary, yes for rectangular, and that's where I hit the problem; I cannot, at that point, see either my crosshairs OR the rectangular box I'm trying to drag across the (usually mostly white) image.

I'm using the dark colour scheme, with some alterations (cross hairs are normally set to colour 153 so that I can see them when tracing scans but can also see them when just creating polylines.)

I've gone through the customis colour choices in the options window, but I cannot find one that makes the selection box when clipping an image actually visible.

I always end up having to adjust the box afterwards which is a waste of time when, if I could see it as I draw it I could get it in the right place first time.

I hope this m,akes sense.

Can anyone tell me what variable controls this colour?

I'm using C3d 2015

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: albionpjl

OS?
Video Card?
Does turning off LINESMOOTHING variable help?
Does changing your hardware acceleration in AutoCAD help?
Message 3 of 13
albionpjl
in reply to: pendean

Thanks.

Turning hardware acceleration off made the rectangular box visible again (although crosshairs remain invisible during the command.)

I thought hardware acceleration was supposed to make things look better not worse! WIll that setting affect printing to jpg? If not I'll leave it off.

I did find a workaround by choosing to clip by a polyline instead of rectangular. At least I could see the crosshairs.

It's Win 7 pro 64 bit. 16GB ram.

AMD Firepro V5900

Message 4 of 13
albionpjl

Well I see that the spamscam solution, that  I received an email notification about, has already been removed. Quick work by someone.

I'm off on leave now for 2 weeks. Will check here when I get back.

Anyone else thinking of posting a solution where I have to click on to download but will then have to 'fill in a survey' or two first, just don't even bother. I know that scam.

Message 5 of 13
shavezkhan

MAKE IMAGE FRAME 0

Message 6 of 13
albionpjl
in reply to: shavezkhan

It is.

Message 7 of 13
utorious

i have kind of the same problem, when i try to clip a raster image (ecw file, georef withe georefimg) i doesnt seem to be possible to use a polygonal clipping path. if i define one, the image disapears. is there some solution to the problem?

🙂

thanks in advance for any answer.

/

as a sidenote: it would be also great to use existing 3dplines as a image clipping path, but i guess thats not possible?

Message 8 of 13
albionpjl
in reply to: utorious

That doesn't seem to be the same issue that I had. Mine was about the curser not being visible.

I just tried polygonal clipping (of a raster inserted using the _imageattach command) I had no trouble making a polygonal clip. I'm using Civil 3d 2015.

Try inserting your raster that way. It's the only thing I can suggest. Otherwise, I suggest that you make a new thread and give fuller information about which software you're using and the steps that you are taking.

Message 9 of 13
agentornge75

I've got the same issue.  My crosshairs are red, and show up nicely over the white background of the image I'm clipping.  Once I select the image to clip, and select new boundary and rectangular, i can pick the first point and as soon as I do, the selection window switches to white from the red crosshairs, which makes the rectangle I'm trying to create as the window for a clip a complete guess, because the white window selector is the same as the white image background of 95% of the images I bring in to CAD.

yes, i could do the rectangle first and clip to a boundary.  There are certainly work arounds.  The question is: is there an option for this somewhere? Its convenient to use commands that are in CAD, but ones that cannot be used with the often required precision seem broken.

Message 10 of 13
albionpjl
in reply to: agentornge75

I've not found one.

Message 11 of 13
Turtlewallet

I was having the same problem. It seems that the crosshairs actually disappear when the "Create Clipping Boundary" command is active, which would explain why there's no option to change the crosshair color for this circumstance.

In my case, the images were on layer "0", which was set to color=white. I then discovered that the clipping boundary displays the color of the image's layer. I changed the layer of the images to a colored layer, and now the boundary shows up during the process of creating the image clipping boundary.

Message 12 of 13
agentornge75

I've had similar problems. Many times, I've found, you can bang your head
against AutoCAD and figure out a solution in a couple of hours. OR you can
find a work around. In this case, I draw the boundary with a red color as a
polyline, clip to the object, and then delete the poly.
Message 13 of 13
albionpjl
in reply to: agentornge75

This is a four year old question.
I haven't had to clip a raster in a couple of years and if it's needed, I can do it in an image editor before bringing it into C3d. Easier that way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report