Did you mean: 

RECOVERING DWG FILE

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
manusingh26
3053 Views, 2 Replies

RECOVERING DWG FILE

my computer got infected and in repairing it had to back up my files, clean the hard drive and reload the files.

in the process some of my autocad dwg files have been corrupted/ damaged. when i do a search of my hard drive, these files show up but when i click to open them i get a message reading 
:"the drive or network connection the shortcut 'SITE.dwg.lnk' refers to is unavailable ..." 
anyone knows how i can recover these dwg files

your comments and suggestions are appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hanzwatzke58
in reply to: manusingh26

Drawing Recovery Manager (command DRAWINGRECOVERY) 
Displays a list of all drawing files that were open at the time of a program or system failure. You can preview and open each drawing or backup file to choose which one should be saved as the primary DWG file. After a program or system failure, the Drawing Recovery Manager opens the next time you start the application. Drawing Recovery Manager displays a list of all drawing files that were open. The System Variable RECOVERYMODE controls whether drawing recovery information is recorded after a system failure and whether to show the Drawing Recovery Manager or not.

If you want to help yourself, Autodesk and other AutoCAD users make sure to send in any errors to Autodesk when you see the Customer Error Report dialog box (CER).

Finally a solution that sometimes helps if AutoCAD cannot fix the problem is to try to fix the drawing in another program that can open and save DWG files. The more users having the similar problem the better chance it will be fixed in a service pack or future version. Eventually you might get DWG Repair Kit saying the problem is fixed.

You may find it free demo version at:- http://www.dwg.repair/

Message 3 of 3

Hi,

>> when i do a search of my hard drive, these files show up but when i click to open

>> them i get a message reading 
>> :"the drive or network connection the shortcut 'SITE.dwg.lnk' refers to is unavailable ..."

You have not started a DWG file, you have tried to open a LNK-file, this is a special filetype in Windows to make reference links like used in the "recent Documents" folder. And that special file is not the DWG, it's just a points to where the DWG file is stored ... when the path to the file and the file (stored in that LNK-file) does not exist any more that's why you get that message.

At least the good news is: you have not lost a drawing file, you only lost the link to the file.

Hopefully not the bad news: hopefully you backed up the dwg files themselved and not just the link files.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost